Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt, for Donating to support the site

MORTGAGE FOR SINGLE SKIN

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
ineedhelpplease

MORTGAGE FOR SINGLE SKIN

Postby ineedhelpplease » November 28th, 2016, 6:07 pm

Hello you nice lemons.

Does anyone know a lender who will grant a mortgage on a house that has had an extension (about 20% of total house size) that is constructed "Single Skin" i.e. no cavity wall.

Many thanks in advance for any replies .. most appreciated.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: MORTGAGE FOR SINGLE SKIN

Postby staffordian » November 28th, 2016, 6:19 pm

I suspect there is no simple answer to this, it would depend on several factors, not least the location of the property relative to potential lenders.

I would consider approaching a mortgage broker who should have a pretty good knowledge of lenders prepared to lend on non standard construction properties in your area.

Staffordian

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 29th, 2016, 11:49 am

The majority of pre-war houses had solid walls. No cavity.

The term 'single-skin' means a wall half a brick thick. Not uncommon in old houses, but some surveyors do make a fuss, and it has long been an issue for some lenders
http://www.periodproperty.co.uk/forum/v ... ge#p178069

Look for one less fussy.

V8

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 29th, 2016, 12:26 pm

Somehow the OP's post (describing the extension as 'an extension') suggests to me that the work wasn't pre-war but was done in recent decades. If I'm wrong, forget it. But if I'm right, the single brick extension may prove to be the least of the buyer's problems.

A mortgage lender would want to see the Building Regs sign-off certificate for any work done since 1984 (I think). So would (or at least, should!) the solicitor. But the devil's in the detail - there are exemptions. It may be kosher, or it may not. If it isn't, the mortgage co may withhold funds until the work has been rectified. A neighbour had this with a loft extension that had to be ripped out and done properly before they'd lend the money.

Good luck

BJ

tony9i9i9i

Postby tony9i9i9i » December 5th, 2016, 4:28 pm

Years ago my friends parents had this issue when trying to remortgage, they had a builder build a second skin inside the property and could then remortgage.

Could that be an option?

Tony.

Return to “Does anyone know?”