Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Outdoor LED security lamps

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Re: Outdoor LED security lamps

Postby jfgw » December 11th, 2016, 3:07 pm

I used to have a head torch, though that was before the days of LEDs. Not much use for open country: they suppress normal night vision.

You can get red LED torches that do not affect your night vision.

Julian F. G. W.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 11th, 2016, 4:22 pm

Slightly off topic but I have a problem with cyclists riding down a shared cycleway/footpath, away from the main road. I can completely understand the use of high powered headlights by these cyclists on the road, but on this footpath for oncoming pedestrians (or cyclists) they are completely dazzling.

John

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 11th, 2016, 5:32 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Slightly off topic but I have a problem with cyclists riding down a shared cycleway/footpath, away from the main road. I can completely understand the use of high powered headlights by these cyclists on the road, but on this footpath for oncoming pedestrians (or cyclists) they are completely dazzling.

John

It was actually for cycling that I got the headlight mentioned above. After moving to a new part of the country, and finding I couldn't navigate the country lanes in the dark 'cos I couldn't point bike lights at the little fingerpost signs.

They're actually low-powered LEDs. You hardly see them amongst car headlights. But they're bright, they're directional, sometimes they're angled too high, and when your eyes are adjusted to something much darker than a busy road then they are indeed a pain.

But I've not seen a bike light that dazzles over any substantial distance. If the cyclist is moving, you have a few seconds you need to shield the eyes. Even if they're stationary with the light on (bloomin' annoying), you don't have more than a minute or so in dazzle-range.

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » December 11th, 2016, 8:19 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Slightly off topic but I have a problem with cyclists riding down a shared cycleway/footpath, away from the main road. I can completely understand the use of high powered headlights by these cyclists on the road, but on this footpath for oncoming pedestrians (or cyclists) they are completely dazzling.

John

Don't cyclists normally have just one light, which they use under all traffic conditions? When they switch from road to cycleway/footpath, their lights remain unchanged. Unless they've invented cyclists' main beam and dipped-beam lights..?

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 11th, 2016, 8:29 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:Don't cyclists normally have just one light, which they use under all traffic conditions? When they switch from road to cycleway/footpath, their lights remain unchanged. Unless they've invented cyclists' main beam and dipped-beam lights..?

Lights on bikes are normally so that they can be seen by drivers. Such a light would be inadequate to illuminate a road or path with no street lights, so I'd assume that cyclists fit much brighter lights than usual if they are going off-road at night (although why would they ever do that anyway?)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 11th, 2016, 8:42 pm

This is a cycle/foot path with lights, it is smooth tarmac with no obstacles. I agree that if going off road on a mountain bike in the dark then very powerful lights would be in order.

John

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 11th, 2016, 8:43 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:Don't cyclists normally have just one light, which they use under all traffic conditions? When they switch from road to cycleway/footpath, their lights remain unchanged. Unless they've invented cyclists' main beam and dipped-beam lights..?

Yes and no. There are nuances.

The typical bike light is fine for main roads or in-town, where the need is to be seen (and what you wear matters more than your light). But it casts little light of its own, so the cyclist has to slow right down in really dark conditions.

The really bright lights are for when you're out on the unlit roads or tracks and under a canopy of trees. Even so they're feeble compared to car headlights.
Lootman wrote:(although why would they ever do that anyway?)

To get from A to B? Back home from where one has been for the evening. Maybe commuting for those who work irregular hours. Or in this season, a much wider range of circumstances altogether.

Biggles
2 Lemon pips

Postby Biggles » December 12th, 2016, 10:21 am

Lootman wrote:Lights on bikes are normally so that they can be seen by drivers. Such a light would be inadequate to illuminate a road or path with no street lights

Many cyclists lately seem to have, on a normal road, lights that are able to dazzle pedestrians more than dipped car headlights (though the problem is compounded by bad alignment, ie they're often not pointing at the road in the first place). These would be more than adequate on- or off-road.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 12th, 2016, 11:30 am

Whoops I appear to have led this LED thread OT sorry.

Perhaps any more cycle relate posts should go on a new topic.

John

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » December 12th, 2016, 11:59 am

Moderator Message:
The OP's original question was "The thing I really need help with is exactly what type of LED light would be suitable for this application?" - could we limit any further responses to addressing this please. Thanks C.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » December 12th, 2016, 6:29 pm

FredBloggs wrote:Myself, I've used LED lighting indoors for quite some time and I still find that they fall way short of expected life time.

You're not kidding! So far my one and only experience of domestic LED lighting is a single 'dimmable' LED bulb bought in a closing down sale.

Claimed 'lifetime' 15,000 hours. Lasted 15 seconds.

Of course I'd lost the receipt...
Last edited by XFool on December 12th, 2016, 6:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » December 12th, 2016, 6:31 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Whatever you do, please ensure they're properly shielded so as not to shine out on anywhere public!

I'll vote for that!

Oops!

So I'd recommend a well shielded one. :roll:

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » December 13th, 2016, 8:31 am

They're certainly getting better though. I have half-a-dozen 5W down lighters in my bathroom that've been there for coming up for 3 years. Admittedly not the highest usage in the house, but a good deal fewer failures (none) than the halogens they replaced (about 2 per annum). More light too than the previous 50W lamps, though a rather narrower angle.

I think one of the difficulties for manufacturers in predicting lifetime is trying to work out an acceleration factor for endurance testing, but the main problem still seems to be quality.

(And they came with a 5-year warranty too!)

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » December 15th, 2016, 11:01 am

I am not sure that these lights actually do deter burglars - it is sometimes too easy to 'hide' behind the light as it were, thus rendering yourself invisible to on-lookers and that is aside from the fact that in rural locations where we value the night skies they are intrusive - to neighbours and walkers.

Why not use a DRIVEWAY MONITOR like this one available on Amazon for about £20

The 1byone driveway alarm provides a solution to alert you the moment someone enters your property. It's not only very convenient but also extremely affordable.
When movement is detected, the Passive Infrared (PIR) sensor sends a wireless signal to the receiver from up to 100m/328ft away. Adjusting the receiver, you can choose to be alerted by a high or low chime or alarm tone, or instead, with just a silent LED flash. What's more, the receiver can pair with up to 50 sensors, effectively securing a large area. We offer many combinations of sensors and receivers, just choose what best fits your needs.

Brilliant bit of kit which alerts me when anyone comes on to my property. Wonder if it can be integrated into the OP's system?

superFoolish
Lemon Slice

Postby superFoolish » December 16th, 2016, 6:02 am

BusyBumbleBee wrote:Brilliant bit of kit [1byone driveway alarm] which alerts me when anyone comes on to my property. Wonder if it can be integrated into the OP's system?

Almost certainly - it probably uses an RF transmitter. These are usually easy to decode (with the correct equipment). My system already detects the wireless doorbell, and alerts my mobile phone.

I can make a PIR / RF transmitter for less than $5, which is why I am looking for the ideal outdoor lights to attach the device to.

I can also control those cheap remote-controlled wall-socket adapters that they sell in DIY stores. They all use pretty-much the same RF system.

Scott0966

Postby Scott0966 » December 16th, 2016, 9:27 am

Have you thought about the solar ones?
We bought some a few years ago for one of our building sites where getting power to it was a problem - that's still going strong apparently. I just bought a similar one for home - their price fluctuates on Amazon so pick your moment to buy.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 16th, 2016, 1:20 pm

Scott0966 wrote:Have you thought about the solar ones?
We bought some a few years ago for one of our building sites where getting power to it was a problem - that's still going strong apparently. I just bought a similar one for home - their price fluctuates on Amazon so pick your moment to buy.

I tried them a few years ago, but they weren't very bright. so I ended up using them to illuminate the path rather than as a main light.

The other problem is that they work the best in the summer when there is a lot of sun, which is when you least need outdoor lights anyway,

alterego

Postby alterego » December 16th, 2016, 1:46 pm

I have quite a few LED outdoor lights, at least 17 IIRC. In the time they have been installed only one has failed. All are mains voltage, I tried some LV ones in the past but found transformers a weak link, probably because in a small waterproof housing they tended to overheat. Not all these lights are "security", most are just decorative and at 2.5 watts are peanuts to run. I have some more powerful lamps in the garden at about 7w which illuminate features or plants.

The one light installed for security more than appearance is a simple bulkhead fitting with a 7w led lighting the driveway. This is activated by a photocell which is shielded from the light to prevent "cycling" on and off. All the other lights are switched from inside the house.

I avoid "cheap" lamps but don't regard the slightly higher cost of good quality lamps as an issue. A few pounds buys you longevity and more lumens for lower wattage so energy savings follow the initial outlay.

I've previously tried Halogens and then CFL's but found them underpowered at the sort of wattage I was prepared to run. There's no point in having lights you don't want to turn on because of the energy they use. LED's are now so energy efficient that replacing older lamps makes economic sense IMO.

Return to “Does anyone know?”