Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Noise levels at a social function

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
IsleofWightPete
Lemon Pip

Noise levels at a social function

Postby IsleofWightPete » December 9th, 2016, 10:51 pm

I was at a social / business awards function recently - great evening, good company and a lot of fun.
But after the formal part of the evening was done, a live band came on so that the drunken dancing could commence.
They were LOUD
I mean so loud that the guy next to me was screaming into my ear at the top of his voice from a few inches away, and I couldn't make out what he was saying.
We left the main area, and went to a side area (where the bar was) and i could still barely hold a conversation, again, even though we were yelling at each other from inches away.

Now I have no idea what the measured level of sound might have been in dB, but I am sure that any work facility would have required ear defenders if it was at anything like this volume. In fact I have never been to any work facility where noise levels were this high.
But then it struck me that actually it WAS a work facility (the waiters, bar staff etc).

So the DAK - what is the legislation for noise levels in this kind of setting - both for employees and for the guests?

In the end I left after about 10 minutes of this - it became literally intolerable, and my ears were still ringing the following day, and i was hoarse from yelling to try and converse. At least my headache was less than it might otherwise have been if i hadn't left early :)

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Re: Noise levels at a social function

Postby csearle » December 10th, 2016, 9:07 am

Can't help Pete, but as an aside I left a small Chelmsford disco in about 1976, where the music was crazily loud, with ringing in my ears and as I swype into my phone right now I am still hearing it.

Chris

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » December 10th, 2016, 9:32 am

You have my sympathy, Pete. In tests, my hearing has always been fine but I've always had a huge problem with hearing what is being said against background noise, to the extent that I sometimes rely on a bit of lip reading.

A few months ago we were in Sheffield to see our son at uni and went to the italian restaurant behind the Novotel hotel. A huge place, but everyone seemed to want to sit outside. We soon found out why. The music was ridiculously loud inside but we had no choice. Added to this were the weird acoustics of the place which meant the sound of cutlery being washed, thrown about etc seemed to be amplified.

Just getting old, I guess. :-)

Steve

RedSnapper
2 Lemon pips

Postby RedSnapper » December 10th, 2016, 9:52 am

Here's a good start for info ==> http://www.hse.gov.uk/noise/

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » December 10th, 2016, 10:10 am

As KISS would say "if it's too loud you're too old."
I used to work in a noisy entertainment venue when hearing protection was introduced, music became noise and noise is regulated by the HSE.
The first action level for noise in the work place is 80 decibels, the employer must provide training to employees and asses the risk, at 85 decibels, and that's not too loud for a band or music environment, employers provide and enforce use of protection and hearing protection zones. Those levels are equivalent to a standing beside a busy, fast moving road. 90 or even 100dB would be more likely for a concert - more, obviously, next to the speakers.

toofast2live
Lemon Slice

Postby toofast2live » December 10th, 2016, 10:39 am

Our village hall noise limiter is set at 85db. Many bands refuse to play. Also, loud singing and clapping at the panto sets it off.

The bands who reject us play at about 110db.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 10th, 2016, 12:52 pm

kempiejon wrote:As KISS would say "if it's too loud you're too old."

You don't have to be old to observe that the bands meeting the OP's description (unrelentingly loud) are making up in decibels what they lack in talent.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » December 10th, 2016, 4:00 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
kempiejon wrote:As KISS would say "if it's too loud you're too old."

You don't have to be old to observe that the bands meeting the OP's description (unrelentingly loud) are making up in decibels what they lack in talent.

Or have got their equipment turned up too loud for the size of the venue.

I saw Focus twice, once before they became famous at quite a small venue in Westcliff, then again about 6 months later at the Kursal which was a barn of a place. As far as I could tell they were using the same kit and sounded just as loud in each location. It was obvious that they had it turned down in the smaller venue, whereas many bands seem to want to leave it at 11 all the time.

Slarti

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » December 12th, 2016, 4:53 pm

then again about 6 months later at the Kursal

As in The Kursaal Flyers??

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » December 12th, 2016, 5:15 pm

panamagold wrote:
then again about 6 months later at the Kursal

As in The Kursaal Flyers??

They certainly named themselves after it as they came from Southend.

Slarti

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » December 12th, 2016, 5:43 pm

Slarti wrote:
They certainly named themselves after it as they came from Southend.

That makes sense now. ;)

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » December 12th, 2016, 8:10 pm

I've been to a wedding reception where the dj managed to "blow" his equipment, much to the relief of my ears.

I've also been to another wedding reception where the dj was very clever! he would turn down the music volume to make an announcement, and then turn it back up again - except that each "turn-up" was just slightly louder than the previous one. Eventually along with my wife, I walked out.

Obviously I don't know what cumulative effect extreme noise has had on my ears, but in 2005, and possibly in 2000, I developed Menieres Disease in my right ear which is now useless. I find it interesting that during my career as a telephone technician, it was always my right ear that was used for listening on telephone circuits or making calls. It was also noticeable that during my earlier years as a telephone technician, there were situations where the equipment itself created a very high level of noise, eg for those who remember them register/translator equipment but ear protection was never provided, yet in later years I do recall seeing younger technicians using ear protectors. Of course, this was in the days when Strowger ruled supreme: later more modern exchanges were almost whisper quiet.

Needless to say, at home I now use ear protection when I think it necessary, eg using the milling machine, or the circular saw etc.

ten0rman

Dorn1

Postby Dorn1 » December 15th, 2016, 1:31 pm

Must say that that I absolutely OBJECT to having someone else's "musak" forced upon me. :x
Big stadium concert - fair enough, but restaurants etc, no! Even when I was younger I wanted to be able to talk to folk. If they have to play that loud to get folk dancing (there being no way to hold civil conversation) then their choice of music is rubbish!
C

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » December 15th, 2016, 2:33 pm

The rules may have been updated but back when I had a music venue it was the standard health and safety noise in the workplace legislation that applied.

I had to attend a meeting at the local council where I raised some technical objections to their methodology but we still ended up getting an assessment where readings were taken on a weekday and weekend night with a fancy expensive calibrated dB meter by an 'approved' contractor.

Luckily the person doing the readings was someone I knew...

Ended up getting a box of foam earplugs for behind the bar and a memo to the effect that anyone who was concerned about their hearing was welcome to use them gratis. The problem with the foamy's is they take all the top and mid range out so it is impossible to have a conversation.

I actually had some custom moulded earplugs with changeable filters made for about £100 around the same time as I was worried about tinnitus (rightly it turned out...).
Most of the professional sound engineers and musicians I know went the same route, but you can get cheap generic versions from music shops now that have the same reduction of volume without changing the frequency response for about a tenner. Worth it IMHO.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » December 15th, 2016, 3:20 pm

All this talk about volumes reminded be of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyn4KJzbL3c

Slarti

newlyretired
2 Lemon pips

Postby newlyretired » December 15th, 2016, 5:22 pm

Slarti wrote:All this talk about volumes reminded be of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyn4KJzbL3c

Slarti

"This video is not available" - so says my iPad

newlyretired

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » December 15th, 2016, 5:48 pm

newlyretired wrote:
Slarti wrote:All this talk about volumes reminded be of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyn4KJzbL3c

Slarti

newlyretired

Licensing issue for 'mobile' platforms probably, same thing on my Android phone.
Watch on a desktop PC/Mac.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » December 15th, 2016, 6:57 pm

newlyretired wrote:

Slarti

newlyretired

Sorry about that, try Googling for "Banana Boat Song Speedy Gonzales" to see if there is a copy you can see.

"Too loud, man. I can still hear you"

Cheers
Slarti

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » December 15th, 2016, 7:09 pm

It's my opinion that all those who set up noise levels at functions, in theatres, and even on the open deck on cruises, are suffering from occupational deafness, and have no idea what they are doing.

There should really be a limit on dBa where sound is being amplified, probably at 85dBa when ear protection has to be provided in industrial environments. Having spent a lot of my working life in places where ear protection was mandatory, I don't see any point in making my hearing worse when I might otherwise be enjoying myself.

TJH

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » December 15th, 2016, 8:11 pm

Even in the genteel world of classical it is a bone of contention, I know a few of the Halle orchestra members and they are all very aware of the issues...http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2004 ... chestral/2

Colin Davis and the London Symphony Orchestra will bring a ruckus to Avery Fisher Hall next Sunday, when they present the first of three programs, a concert version of Benjamin Britten's 1945 opera "Peter Grimes."

As opera lovers know, there are moments of exquisite poignancy, lyricism and mystery in this tale of an ambiguous lout of a fisherman accused of murdering his apprentice. But there are also clamorous outbursts deploying not only a large chorus of excitable townsfolk but also the full resources of a 20th -Century orchestra, greatly expanded in technological prowess over its already potent Wagnerian predecessor. In short, the listening experience can be -- should be -- loud.

For the performers, the experience is even louder. As always, music is in the ear of the beholder, and for those who behold it most closely, those who make it, it can prove a form of mild torture.

Return to “Does anyone know?”