Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0, for Donating to support the site

Windows 7

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
gadjet
Lemon Pip

Windows 7

Postby gadjet » December 23rd, 2016, 1:26 pm

DAK the date when Windows 7 will become unsupported ?
I have been postponing having Windows 10 due to the large number of problems I have heard about.
Thanks

Sue

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Re: Windows 7

Postby Bminusrob » December 23rd, 2016, 1:37 pm

Hi Sue,

Windows 7 support ended almost a yer ago (13 Jan 2015). Therefore you are running unsupported software, and running the risk of all sorts of security problems.

I don't know what you have heard about Windows 10, but as long as you didn't start with the alpha or beta versions, it has been pretty good and reliable. I would recommend switching to it as soon as possible. It is not too difficult to completely avoid the tablet type interface, and use it exactly as you have been using Windows 7.

Another point to note is that despite stories to the contrary, you can continue to use software such as the Microsoft Office which you have with Windows 7. I am happily using Word and Excel 2007.

Cheers, Rob

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 23rd, 2016, 2:02 pm

Bminusrob wrote:
Windows 7 support ended almost a yer ago (13 Jan 2015). Therefore you are running unsupported software, and running the risk of all sorts of security problems.

I don't think things are that bleak for current Windows 7 users. Currently Windows 7 is in what's known as it's 'Extended Support' phase, and that will run until January 14th 2020 -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... fact-sheet

Here's an article explaining the differences between the support cycles, but the following extract gives a flavour of the current situation -

"For those of you using a Windows 7 machine, Microsoft is ending mainstream support for the operating system on January 13th 2015.

Don't panic, though. Your computer will still work and receive security updates. Mainstream support mainly refers to free phone and online support, as well as non-security updates, which is offered for five years after the release of an OS or two years after its successor hits the market.

Microsoft won't end security updates for your Windows 7 PC until Jan. 14, 2020.
"

http://uk.pcmag.com/operating-systems-a ... dont-panic

I've got two Windows 7 machines here, and am happily going to use them until at least the above January 14th 2020 date, and in all probability for a while after that too....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

gadjet
Lemon Pip

Postby gadjet » December 23rd, 2016, 2:49 pm

Thanks, both.

Sue

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 23rd, 2016, 4:01 pm

Bminusrob wrote: ... despite stories to the contrary, you can continue to use software such as the Microsoft Office which you have with Windows 7. I am happily using Word and Excel 2007.

I have an old Samsung laptop that came with Windows 7 and Office 2007. Upgraded it to Windows 10 and not only does everything work as before, but it starts up and runs Office faster now.

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » December 23rd, 2016, 6:43 pm

I still have a single computer running Windows 7. I did originally go through a backup / install free Windows 10 upgrade / back that one up and restore to Windows 7 because I have one or two old peripherals which Windows 10 doesn't recognise. My other Windows machines are on 10 and I've found it to be very reliable. The usual bother of finding where things have been hidden, but Cortana does a pretty good job of pointing me to them.

I'll probably keep my single Windows 7 machine for a year or two yet though to handle a scanner and A0 printer which Windows 10 doesn't drive though they're getting due for replacement anyway. Come to that I still have an XP machine around because it can run the software I need for an ageing EPROM programmer. Virtual machines are OK up to a point but nothing really beats keeping old hardware and software for real compatibility.

orchard101
Lemon Pip

Postby orchard101 » December 24th, 2016, 4:16 pm

I have win7 and have, just today, had 4 upgrades installed. Am hoping that it works for a bit longer. When I tried to go to Win 10 my machine did a lot of whirring etc, then refused to upgrade, so I am, for the moment, happy with Win7.

Return to “Does anyone know?”