Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Posh Bits of Wales

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Re: Posh Bits of Wales

Postby jackdaww » January 4th, 2017, 10:00 pm

Biggles wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:Interesting question- Wales doesn't seem to have suffered the fate of the East Anglian and Cornish coastal areas. There really are some lovely towns and villages with very affordable property. I guess the main factor is the poor communications to the rest of the country.

That, and the risk of fire if you leave your holiday cottage empty? Though I think that's gone out of fashion now.....

amazing this (largely untrue) story still has legs .

:roll: :roll:

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 4th, 2017, 10:02 pm

jackdaww wrote:llandudno is still very good.

Llandudno is the gay capital of Wales, so I am told, and gayness is usually a leading indicator of the gentrification that our inquirer presumably seeks.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 5th, 2017, 12:20 pm

melonfool wrote:
Generali wrote:Thanks all. Sorry if I come across as ignorant. I am fairly ignorant when it comes to Wales I'm afraid.

I'd have thought Portmeirion and Hay on Wye would be quite 'posh'? St Davids maybe?

Mel

Portmeirion is a private estate as note by another poster (not sure if/how one could buy property there)
Hay-on-Wye is occasionally 'claimed' by Herefordshire although the vast majority of the town is on the Welsh side. It is nice if you like books!

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » January 5th, 2017, 12:30 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:
melonfool wrote:
Generali wrote:Thanks all. Sorry if I come across as ignorant. I am fairly ignorant when it comes to Wales I'm afraid.

I'd have thought Portmeirion and Hay on Wye would be quite 'posh'? St Davids maybe?

Mel

Portmeirion is a private estate as note by another poster (not sure if/how one could buy property there)
Hay-on-Wye is occasionally 'claimed' by Herefordshire although the vast majority of the town is on the Welsh side. It is nice if you like books!

Apropos of nothing, although in Wales, I believe Hay on Wye has a Herefordshire postcode.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 5th, 2017, 12:39 pm

melonfool wrote:

Mel

Portmeirion is a fascinating place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live amongst the swarms of tourists. Think theme park.

Slarti

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 5th, 2017, 1:34 pm

Mike88 wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:
melonfool wrote:

Mel

Apropos of nothing, although in Wales, I believe Hay on Wye has a Herefordshire postcode.

Most of central Wales (right over to the coast) has a Shrewsbury postcode (SY)

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » January 5th, 2017, 2:41 pm

Pre-WW2, North Wales was relatively prosperous because businessmen who worked in Liverpool and Manchester had a good coastal train service to work and could live by the sea. Some of the smaller seaside resorts such as Prestatyn that were nearest the English border built largish well-designed houses and expanded specifically with this in mind.
Revenue from holidaying visitors was important, but only from May to early-September.

From the early 1960s, the Beeching cuts (which decimated the number of small stations) and the start of cheap holidays abroad pauperised many coastal towns and villages. Some towns such as Rhyl that had relied almost exclusively on the cheaper end of the holiday trade became very down-at-heel indeed.

The one exception is Llandudno – like a smaller Welsh version of Torquay – which is protected from decay by being largely owned by the Mostyn family. And it would be difficult for anyone to despoil the views from Llandudno because Mostyn Estates own much of it (such as the Great Orme peninsula) as well! Not uber-posh but well-kept and a touch Edwardian.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 5th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Llandudno is a fine town. Some lovely views from Marine Drive round the Gt Orme, and a good pier
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.33541 ... 312!8i6656

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » January 8th, 2017, 4:02 pm

Your right about Pembroke we've holidayed in the area several times and the coastal walks and scenery are stunning but I don't regard the area as posh. If you are judging the area on the cost of housing then Aberdyfi must come into the equation together with Abersoch on the Lleyn peninsula. I sometimes watch "Escape to the Country" when it is in areas we've visited and I'm always amazed how little you can get for some of the sums mentioned. Around here you can get a five bedroomed stone farmhouse plus several barns and outhouses and 20 acres of land for under £500,000, 30 mins drive to Chester Station and 2hours 10mins to London. Not a bad commute :)

R6

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 8th, 2017, 4:36 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Around here you can get a five bedroomed stone farmhouse plus several barns and outhouses and 20 acres of land for under £500,000, 30 mins drive to Chester Station and 2hours 10mins to London. Not a bad commute :)

Sounds like you're in North Wales, and property there is cheap. However the fact that it stays cheap is a problem if you're looking for home price accretion. A friend of mine bought a house near Llanrwst six years ago and it's now worth what he paid for it. Homes in many parts of England are up 50% in that time period.

He doesn't care because, as he puts it, "they're going to have to carry me out of here". But it might matter to some.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » January 8th, 2017, 10:34 pm

I'm with your friend Lootman. My family has been in this spot since 1769 although we're now living in what was the barn and my daughter and her family are in the main house, it'll be feet first for me.

R6

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » January 11th, 2017, 10:59 am

Moderator Message:
This topic has comprehensively answered the OP's question. Regards, C.

Return to “Does anyone know?”