Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Ad Blockers

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Ad Blockers

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 12th, 2017, 11:47 pm

stooz wrote:I'm not complaining, just interested in how an add block blanket approach works when dealing with a community site such as this? Is there one rule fits all?

We're grateful for what you provide, and we've seen you have a lot of goodwill for it. Lots of TMF refugees have said they do make an exception for this site while blocking ads elsewhere. If that helps with your costs, or turns you a modest profit, that's all good.

But people should bear in mind that there are many equally deserving sites, run by enthusiastic people as a service to a community. I expect most of us use some of them. It's worth thinking about an ad policy that's less of a blunt instrument than block-everything-everywhere.

As I'm sure I've posted before, I block ad sites that serve me sounds and/or animations, but have no problem with other ads.

casapinos

Postby casapinos » January 13th, 2017, 8:08 am

As i suggested above I prefer a subscription approach where I can choose which services are worth my money, in my case this site would be on my list at a rate of <£100 pa. But I fear that not enough others would share that view so i accept ads here- my only concern is that they are secure and unobtrusive- so far so good for me.I don't know whether the volumes of traffic here are sufficient to maintain interest from advertisers but I hope so. What I find unacceptable is the video and audio cr*p which peppers some sites, where it is necessary to turn off videos , wait while ads run or until I can skip them. The internet is capable of offering an intrusive sensory experience not seen in newspapers, magazines etc and it is that intrusion that I find intolerable. I am more or less immune to advertising as a result of a deeply cynical nature, and extreme care in my purchasing habits - though I suspect that is at odds with developing trends, nonetheless I strongly suspect that almost all advertising is a waste of time and money, but how to prove it?
as with Uncle E I think the ability to discriminate is key.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 13th, 2017, 10:44 am

UncleEbenezer wrote: It's worth thinking about an ad policy that's less of a blunt instrument than block-everything-everywhere.

As I'm sure I've posted before, I block ad sites that serve me sounds and/or animations, but have no problem with other ads.

My problem, in addition to the animated/audio ads is that if you let any ads through from adservers you don't know if they carry malicious freight until you've been infected. And you don't always need to click on an ad for that to happen, just be on the page showing it.

I will continue to block all adserver sites, until they've proved that they are not dangerous. Obviously if the ads are served by the site I'm visiting, I can't block them, unless they are Flash.

This is one site where I would be prepared to pay a subscription for ad free access, but would that cause accounting/tax problems for the site?

Slarti

saechunu
2 Lemon pips

Postby saechunu » January 13th, 2017, 1:33 pm

The use of ads as the primary revenue source for publishers and others seems to have occurred (evolved) as an unplanned path of least resistance. It's not just down to people being cheapskates and preferring free stuff but is I think linked to how today's internet came about, its formative history, its academic, pre-commercial background and the community-driven idealism that drove it.

Elements of that still exist in pockets but it's dwarfed now by the commercial focus that seeks to monetise the few billion internet users, principally through surreptitiously tracking their behaviour and mining their privacy (because it's not visible, few people have much of an idea of the extent to which their behaviour is being tracked, recorded, modelled). The typical marketers response to disgruntled consumers taking steps to protect themselves from such tracking is that if only the marketers had more and better data about you then they could provide you with more compelling and relevant ads that you'd like to see:
http://www.bandt.com.au/marketing/ad-bl ... iamath-cmo

When these tracking systems also deliver malware onto people's devices, taking steps to protect yourself with ad blockers and privacy protection tools appears a very rational response.

These actions are not normally aimed at people running sites like this one where there is much goodwill to the hosts (and regardless of that goodwill, in comparison to most sites the ads here seem very low key and unobtrusive). Any ranting about ads is not as a result of sites like this, but since by default these tools block stuff everywhere, then such sites may get caught in the crossfire. The delivery of malware through ad networks is not really under the control of the host site, which has made people more reluctant to make exceptions for specific sites because of the risk this may pose; many legitimate sites sometimes have and will continue to expose their readers to malware unwittingly and unintentionally.

I don't know what the answer to all this is: like the old directions to Dublin answer, it'd probably be better if we weren't starting from here. The privacy issues are getting worse not better as we move increasingly towards a few 'walled gardens' delivering services and away from the more open Internet of yore, although these walled gardens being more controlled may mean less malware risk.

Out of interest, does this site earn revenue based on ad impressions or just click throughs/actions? ie. if people who block ads would in any case ignore them, is that still costing the site money?

Return to “Does anyone know?”