Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

How to store quilts?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
GarraGee
2 Lemon pips

How to store quilts?

Postby GarraGee » January 13th, 2017, 10:36 am

What's the best way to store quilts?

Principally, I'm thinking of 'out of season' storage so I can just chuck them in the loft when not needed.

Thanks

GG

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: How to store quilts?

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 13th, 2017, 10:53 am

I have a large chest-shaped wicker basket. It lives in the bedroom (but out-of-the-way under the window), and contains out-of-season duvets. It's large enough that I don't have to compress the duvets/force them in, and being of wicker it keeps them adequately aired.

I've no idea about a "best" way, but this works for me.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 13th, 2017, 10:59 am

We have a number of clear plastic cases that have an airtight seal zip and a non return valve.

We fold the duvets, place them in and then vacuum the excess air out allowing them to slid under beds or be placed on top of wardrobes.
Loft would also work but, given out loft, be a right PITA.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Space-Saver-Double-Zip-Turbo-Valve-Compression/dp/B00X8KSKF6 Other sources are available.

Slarti

GarraGee
2 Lemon pips

Postby GarraGee » January 13th, 2017, 11:05 am

Great, thanks for your responses.

Haven't got the room for the basket idea, but the vacuum seal bags would be fine.

GG

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » January 13th, 2017, 11:16 am

£16.99 seems a bit OTT for those vacuum storage bags . We have some from Poundstretcher that have done the job for £1.99 .

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 13th, 2017, 11:19 am

Quilts? Lofts? Hmmm, have you ever had a squirrel get into your roof space? The little varmints do like having somewhere cosy to sleep. Especially if it isn't full of glass fibre... :lol: To say nothing of less photogenic forms of wildlife.

Under-bed storage is tops. Slarti's vacuum packs are a well-regarded solution, I believe. But we just chuck ours in the airing cupboard, having first shrunk them with a compression sack, or "stuff bag". (Used by backpackers - https://www.amazon.co.uk/NatureHike-Lig ... 206&sr=1-5 ) Ours will reduce a king size duvet to the size of two rugby balls. Or less, depending on how much grunt you're prepared to put into the compression....

BJ

GarraGee
2 Lemon pips

Postby GarraGee » January 13th, 2017, 11:51 am

Thanks, pity Lemon Fools doesn't have a rec system like TMF.

So virtual recs all round. :D

GG

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 13th, 2017, 12:14 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Under-bed storage is tops.
BJ

Under-bed drawers (at least, the cheap kind) aren't so useful for something that wants to expand. You'd need to put them in a very restrictive bag to avoid the risk of finding a drawer jammed shut from within.

I use those drawers for bed linen. Rarely-used stuff (guest-only or out-of-season) goes in the drawers that are less accessible by virtue of being blocked by the bedside tables.

or "stuff bag". (Used by backpackers

That's solving a different problem. As a backpacker I'll compress my sleeping bag ruthlessly to pack it, but I wouldn't want to leave it like that longer-term. Back home I take it out of the compression bag and into something much looser for healthy storage.

Generali
2 Lemon pips

Postby Generali » January 13th, 2017, 12:37 pm

Slarti wrote:We have a number of clear plastic cases that have an airtight seal zip and a non return valve.

We fold the duvets, place them in and then vacuum the excess air out allowing them to slid under beds or be placed on top of wardrobes.
Loft would also work but, given out loft, be a right PITA.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Space-Saver-Double-Zip-Turbo-Valve-Compression/dp/B00X8KSKF6 Other sources are available.

Slarti

We do the same having washed and dried the duvets first. The bags then go into large plastic boxes from Ikea.

I live in Australia and there is very much a duvet season and a sheets only season. Looking up the weather at the in-Laws place in western Sydney it's 11:35pm and 31C so not much need for a duvet! Even in Canberra, where I am, its 25C. It's going to be a sweaty night.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 13th, 2017, 4:16 pm

poundcoin wrote:£16.99 seems a bit OTT for those vacuum storage bags . We have some from Poundstretcher that have done the job for £1.99 .

I think that we would have something like the higher price, but over 20 years ago. May even be over 30 years ago if we had them in our previous place.

Slarti

Return to “Does anyone know?”