Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Different Apps for BBC

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
TopStar74
Lemon Pip

Different Apps for BBC

Postby TopStar74 » November 9th, 2016, 3:19 pm

Does anybody know is there one integrated App on Android for BBC? I am browsing Play Store and can see several different apps -
BBC iPlayer
BBC Media Player
BBC iPlayer Radio
BBC Sport

just thinking loudly as to why can the BBC not have one app and we click it and get the opportunity to click radio or TV or news or sport or weather or anything else. There are nearly a dozen apps currently.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Different Apps for BBC

Postby tjh290633 » November 9th, 2016, 5:00 pm

You can always use their web site, rather than the apps. However you need Media Player to watch or listen to anything.

I had trouble with iPlayer Radio, as it wouldn't move to my SD card, unlike the others. To listen to the Archers or 5 Live Extra, I use the web site.

I use Sky Sport which will move to the SD card, and which sends me alerts whenever something newsworthy happens, like the score in Rajkot at Tea.

TJH

baldpaul147

Postby baldpaul147 » November 9th, 2016, 10:44 pm

As already mentioned, the media player app is used by the others in order to do the actual "playing" of media. So you just install it and never directly interact with it.

The radio and iPlayer apps are so full of content that to try to combine them may just be too problematic and serve two different purposes so I think it's sensible to have them split.

The sport app is partly to serve news stories relating to different sports (and you customise it to focus the stories on the sports that you are interested in) and for video clips for those sports too. It also serves the purpose of supplying video streams of stuff that would be available via the red button or "online". So if ever you see a sporting event on the BBC described as via the red button and online, you will be able to get it in the BBC sport app too...but not via the iPlayer app.

CatcheeMonkee
Lemon Pip

Postby CatcheeMonkee » November 9th, 2016, 11:16 pm

Of course, there's the BBC News app as well. So I have three or four BBC apps on my home page. Not a problem, though you could put them in a 'folder' if you're short of space, I guess.

TopStar74
Lemon Pip

Postby TopStar74 » November 10th, 2016, 12:38 pm

Thanks everyone!!!

"you could put them in a 'folder' if you're short of space, I guess."

Yes, that is a very good idea, why didn't I think of it! Thanks again!

CatcheeMonkee
Lemon Pip

Postby CatcheeMonkee » November 10th, 2016, 1:24 pm

Yes, never thought of tidying up the home page like this before either! Just stuffed loads of apps in appropriate folders on the home screen. Much better now.

Return to “Does anyone know?”