Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

pot holes

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
dubre
2 Lemon pips

pot holes

Postby dubre » May 19th, 2023, 2:20 pm

When I report health and safety issues I find that these matters are usually given urgent attention. DAK why pot holes, which are clearly a safety matter, are not treated with the same respect?

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: pot holes

Postby Mike4 » May 19th, 2023, 4:14 pm

dubre wrote:When I report health and safety issues I find that these matters are usually given urgent attention. DAK why pot holes, which are clearly a safety matter, are not treated with the same respect?

1) There are many millions of them
2) Not many people die from falling down pot holes (compared to say, mine shafts)

:)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 19th, 2023, 4:20 pm

Potholes are a local authority responsibility. But since repairs to private vehicles as a result of damage from potholes are not paid by the LA, they do not care. And they would rather spend their (our) money on welfare or diversity and equity policies.

I would make LAs financially responsible for any and all damage to vehicles caused by potholes.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » May 19th, 2023, 4:54 pm

I'm at a loss to understand when and why it became acceptable for our main roads, including motorways to look like they are in a war zone? It must be a pretty recent development as I don’t remember a time in the 50 years I've been legally driving when our main roads were in such an appalling condition.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » May 19th, 2023, 5:49 pm

Lootman wrote:Potholes are a local authority responsibility. But since repairs to private vehicles as a result of damage from potholes are not paid by the LA, they do not care. And they would rather spend their (our) money on welfare or diversity and equity policies.

I would make LAs financially responsible for any and all damage to vehicles caused by potholes.

I'm sure I've read about people successfully claiming against LAs because their vehicles have been damaged by potholes. That would only be for obvious damage that occurred by driving over a pothole, but even if potholes don't cause immediate and obvious damage, they must contribute significantly to the wear and tear on tyres, suspension etc. So it seems that all road users pay one way or another.

RC

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » May 19th, 2023, 5:51 pm

BullDog wrote:I'm at a loss to understand when and why it became acceptable for our main roads, including motorways to look like they are in a war zone? It must be a pretty recent development[...]

Probably happened around Jun 2010. Don't think I need explain why.

GS

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » May 19th, 2023, 5:58 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
BullDog wrote:I'm at a loss to understand when and why it became acceptable for our main roads, including motorways to look like they are in a war zone? It must be a pretty recent development[...]

GS

I seem to remember that the roads got pretty bad in the late 70's although probably not as bad as now.

RC

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 19th, 2023, 7:40 pm

GoSeigen wrote:

Your kneejerk anti-Tory comment made me notice that we have not heard from that other relentless Tory-hater BobbyG since April.

I do hope he is doing OK.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » May 19th, 2023, 10:42 pm

Lootman wrote:Your kneejerk anti-Tory comment made me notice that we have not heard from that other relentless Tory-hater BobbyG since April.

Would that be the great grandson of BobbyD? ;) The latter was last active two days ago....

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 20th, 2023, 5:39 am

mc2fool wrote:
Lootman wrote:Your kneejerk anti-Tory comment made me notice that we have not heard from that other relentless Tory-hater BobbyG since April.

The latter was last active two days ago....

His last post was April 29th, was what I meant by "have not heard from him".

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 20th, 2023, 8:27 am

Im sure its many and varied reasons... but certainly part of that is the lack of funds to do so and a lack or resources to actually do the work.

Quite why there are insufficient funds is one question, but ultimately most revenue nationally ends up in the hands of the government and not LAs, whoi are stymied by what govt actually gives them and by laws limiting what they can raise themselves. As for a lack of actual resources to carry out the work (IF the funds were there in the first place etc) Im sure we can all look to one area that has diminished the UK labour force - which if not directly involved in road maintenance has led to a vacuum elsewhere where potential RM crews now work instead.

Its a mess.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » May 20th, 2023, 8:37 am

didds wrote:Im sure its many and varied reasons... but certainly part of that is the lack of funds to do so and a lack or resources to actually do the work.

Quite why there are insufficient funds is one question, but ultimately most revenue nationally ends up in the hands of the government and not LAs, whoi are stymied by what govt actually gives them and by laws limiting what they can raise themselves. As for a lack of actual resources to carry out the work (IF the funds were there in the first place etc) Im sure we can all look to one area that has diminished the UK labour force - which if not directly involved in road maintenance has led to a vacuum elsewhere where potential RM crews now work instead.

Its a mess.

And the LA gets quite embarrassed when locals solve the problem themselves!

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/thank-mystery ... 29242.html

Steve

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » May 20th, 2023, 1:50 pm

Lootman wrote:Your kneejerk anti-Tory comment

It was not knee-jerk, I assure you, it is a view I have long and carefully considered.

GS

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 20th, 2023, 1:53 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
Lootman wrote:Your kneejerk anti-Tory comment

It was not knee-jerk, I assure you, it is a view I have long and carefully considered.

No doubt you have, although just because an opinion has been long and carefully considered does not mean that it is valid. I have a long and carefully considered opinion that is the exact opposite!

But my point was more about why Bobby has suddenly stopped his near daily rants about the Tories. Perhaps he is reconsidering his carefully considered biases? :D

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » May 20th, 2023, 3:53 pm

Lootman wrote:Potholes are a local authority responsibility. But since repairs to private vehicles as a result of damage from potholes are not paid by the LA, they do not care. And they would rather spend their (our) money on welfare or diversity and equity policies.

They are financially liable already.

I successfully claimed several thousands from them a few years ago for damage to my car. They did try every trick in the book to avoid paying but paid up in full 24 hours before the small claims court case was due after asking me if I would give them an extra two weeks to consider the case (after several months already elapsed). My response to their request was a one word email (rather than the 2 word response I wanted to give).

Return to “Does anyone know?”