Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Rat under the house

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Watis
Lemon Quarter

Re: Rat under the house

Postby Watis » November 17th, 2023, 12:47 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
servodude wrote:
I would have thought spatchcocked like Guinea pig could work

Isn't the traditional British recipe Rat Pie?

The french do something fancier with shallots and wine, while in Spain it's traditional in paella. Or plain stewed, American-style. Or just dried and salted, as in East Africa. Or of course the various Asian recipes ...

(all from a quick look at the wikipedia cookbook, wondering idly about the origins of rat pie).

Ratatouille, anyone?

Watis

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 17th, 2023, 1:46 pm

Watis wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Isn't the traditional British recipe Rat Pie?

The french do something fancier with shallots and wine, while in Spain it's traditional in paella. Or plain stewed, American-style. Or just dried and salted, as in East Africa. Or of course the various Asian recipes ...

(all from a quick look at the wikipedia cookbook, wondering idly about the origins of rat pie).

Ratatouille, anyone?

Watis

Do they put Basil in it?

I work in a huge scientific park in Italy and years ago, there were emails about some dead squirrels on the road.

My dry sense of humour got the better of me and I posted some recipes from the USA and a few pictures.

You would not believe the comments!

I had to keep a very low profile for the next month. :(

Steve

PS Cambodia is the best place for this sort of thing. Once you have smelt their village markets, you will never complain about any smell ever again.

the0ni0nking
Lemon Slice

Postby the0ni0nking » November 17th, 2023, 2:53 pm

My issue last night on returning to my house was a cockroach on the kitchen worktop (probably bigger than a glis glis!)

Each to their own, but I’d rather have mice than cockroaches. I remember my first experience with a cockroach when I thought I’d just vacuum it up only for it suddenly to set off flying across the living room :shock:

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 17th, 2023, 3:03 pm

the0ni0nking wrote:My issue last night on returning to my house was a cockroach on the kitchen worktop (probably bigger than a glis glis!)

Each to their own, but I’d rather have mice than cockroaches. I remember my first experience with a cockroach when I thought I’d just vacuum it up only for it suddenly to set off flying across the living room :shock:

I expect theOniOn will go nicely with it ;)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 17th, 2023, 3:17 pm

the0ni0nking wrote:Each to their own, but I’d rather have mice than cockroaches. I remember my first experience with a cockroach when I thought I’d just vacuum it up only for it suddenly to set off flying across the living room :shock:

Jamjar, postcard, back door, somebody else's problem. :D

Or leave it in the jar for a few hours with a sprig of fresh laurel. As used by 19th century butterfly hunters, and also by me (with a large hornet). Works well. :)

BJ

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » November 17th, 2023, 4:56 pm

stevensfo wrote:
I work in a huge scientific park in Italy and years ago, there were emails about some dead squirrels on the road.

My dry sense of humour got the better of me and I posted some recipes from the USA and a few pictures.

You would not believe the comments!

I had to keep a very low profile for the next month. :(

Steve

PS Cambodia is the best place for this sort of thing. Once you have smelt their village markets, you will never complain about any smell ever again.

Here's some advice courtesy of Countryfile...

https://www.countryfile.com/how-to/food ... a-squirrel

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 17th, 2023, 6:36 pm

Dicky99 wrote:Here's some advice courtesy of Countryfile...
https://www.countryfile.com/how-to/food ... a-squirrel

Squirrel is OK, bit like rabbit. I find them hard to skin, and you really need one per person.

Sailors of old used to eat rat. Never tried them, only shot two this year and they weren't very plump.

V8

Return to “Does anyone know?”