Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Purchasing on E-bay

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Re: Purchasing on E-bay

Postby bruncher » February 15th, 2024, 4:49 am

Paultry wrote:I normally pay for E-bay purchases using PayPal but I've just activated an offer from Halifax whereby I receive 2% cashback if I use their credit card.

Are my protection rights the same whether I use Halifax or PayPal?

And if there was a dispute would PayPal resolve the issue more readily than Halifax?

Many of you will know that 2% is not worth the potential hassle on a moderately priced purchase, but it would be significant on a few thousand.

Paul

Ebay and Paypal have decoupled, are separate companies. Why not just pay direct with the Halifax CC when purchasing on ebay? Just leave Paypal out of it.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » February 15th, 2024, 9:45 am

bruncher wrote:
Paultry wrote:I normally pay for E-bay purchases using PayPal but I've just activated an offer from Halifax whereby I receive 2% cashback if I use their credit card.

Are my protection rights the same whether I use Halifax or PayPal?

And if there was a dispute would PayPal resolve the issue more readily than Halifax?

Many of you will know that 2% is not worth the potential hassle on a moderately priced purchase, but it would be significant on a few thousand.

Paul

Ebay and Paypal have decoupled, are separate companies. Why not just pay direct with the Halifax CC when purchasing on ebay? Just leave Paypal out of it.

Using PayPal, or in my case, Google Pay, avoids having to provide your actual card details to eBay or the seller.

So, a small security win every time.

Watis

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » February 15th, 2024, 10:21 am

Watis wrote:Using PayPal, or in my case, Google Pay, avoids having to provide your actual card details to eBay or the seller.

So, a small security win every time.

Sellers do not get credit card details no matter which route you choose to pay, can you imagine the levels of fraud that would be happening if they did?

As for Google vs Paypal vs Ebay, I'm not sure there is much in it, I don't trust any of them.

BobGe
Lemon Slice

Postby BobGe » February 19th, 2024, 2:48 am

bruncher wrote:Ebay and Paypal have decoupled, are separate companies.

They are 'coupled' by commercial agreement.

bruncher wrote:Why not just pay direct with the Halifax CC when purchasing on ebay? Just leave Paypal out of it.

Because.... Study the T&Cs. (And, if for no better reason, it may maintain the existing PP a/c active, which may be useful at some time future.)

Paultry
2 Lemon pips

Postby Paultry » February 19th, 2024, 8:30 pm

I'm surprised my query generated so much comment.

I did make two purchases from sellers on E-bay last week and I used pay-pal but it was only for £40 each time.

I was also offered 3% cashback for Aldi shopping (using Halifax cc) I had the card with me, but not the phone and was unsure if I'd activated their offer so used the John Lewis credit card and settled for 0.5% (I think) or is it 0.25%?

The best cashbacks are the 10% ones with Browns restaurants or other such outlets.

I think, take advantage as and where possible but don't get in a tizzy over saving threepence when it is so easy to loose sixpence on so many other avenues in life.

Paul

Return to “Does anyone know?”