Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Light bulbs

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Arizona11
2 Lemon pips

Light bulbs

Postby Arizona11 » February 11th, 2024, 12:59 pm

We have had new lighting put in our lounge and dining room. We also have them on a dimmer switch but the bulbs flicker unless fully on. So we are getting no benefit from having a dimmer switch.

DAK of bulbs that can be used which don’t flicker. We are using screw-in candle size bulbs.

Thanks

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Light bulbs

Postby DrFfybes » February 11th, 2024, 1:10 pm

I'm guessing these are 'dimmable LED' lights, and an old dimmer?

If so you need a modern LED compatable dimmer switch. Of course, being modern, eco friendly, and high tech, you need to know what type of LED compatible dimmer you need, 'leading edge' or 'trailing edge'.

They're not very expensive, and should be a straightswap for the existing switch so a <cough> 10 minute job.

https://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-l ... t_by=price

I did look it up once but I've since forgotten.

Paul

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » February 11th, 2024, 2:02 pm

Arizona11 wrote:DAK of bulbs that can be used which don’t flicker. We are using screw-in candle size bulbs.
It is a complete and utter minefield. There are dimmers and lights from the same manufacturer that flicker!

Two basics: the lamps themselves have to claim to be dimmable (unless they are incandescent lamps, which are always dimmable). For dimmers it's best if they actually claim that they are for LED lamps. Even if you follow these two guidelines it doesn't guarantee success.

There are positive edge dimmers and negative edge dimmers. Some LED lamps seem to tolerate only one of these types, but which one is usually unclear.

I am loathed to make a recommendation, but when I'm faced with a flickering-LED-complaint from a client I usually arm myself with a Varilight V-Pro dimmer. The dimmer module can be detached from the faceplate and attached in place of the dimmer of the target switch.

The advantages of these are that the edge (+/-), the maximum dimming, and the minimum dimming can be programmed using the dimmer knob. This gives you the highest chance of getting any given LED lamp dimming properly. The potential downside is that occasionally twitchy customers fiddle about with the switch, switching it on and off in quick succession. This can inadvertently cause the dimmer to enter programming mode. This is exacerbated by the dimmers being soft-start - this gentle turning-on effect can lead impatient users to start fiddling rather than just waiting 300ms.

Chris

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 11th, 2024, 6:19 pm

Arizona11 wrote:We have had new lighting put in our lounge and dining room. We also have them on a dimmer switch but the bulbs flicker unless fully on. So we are getting no benefit from having a dimmer switch.

DAK of bulbs that can be used which don’t flicker. We are using screw-in candle size bulbs.

There appear to be three different factors to consider here. :)

1. The LED bulbs (which, from the above, I assume you are using) have to be dimmable LEDs.

2. LED bulbs consume typically about ~1/10 the power of equivalent filament bulbs. Your old dimmer likely has a minimum power rating that is too high. For some reason they don't work properly on the lower consumption LED bulbs, even dimmable ones.

3. Modern dimmers have a different approach to dimming. They are called 'Trailing Edge Dimmers', as opposed to the old dimmers, which were just called 'Dimmers'! - but were actually 'Leading Edge Dimmers'.

From experience I can tell you that points 1 and 2 above are essential. I got a dimmable LED setup working - but not perfectly - using an old dimmer and points 1 & 2 above. How important point 3 is in practice I do not know.

viewtopic.php?p=639023#p639023

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 11th, 2024, 6:37 pm

...Or, more precisely, the solution(?) for me:

viewtopic.php?p=639743#p639743

Return to “Does anyone know?”