Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Purchasing on E-bay

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Paultry
2 Lemon pips

Purchasing on E-bay

Postby Paultry » February 8th, 2024, 3:26 pm

I normally pay for E-bay purchases using PayPal but I've just activated an offer from Halifax whereby I receive 2% cashback if I use their credit card.

Are my protection rights the same whether I use Halifax or PayPal?

And if there was a dispute would PayPal resolve the issue more readily than Halifax?

Many of you will know that 2% is not worth the potential hassle on a moderately priced purchase, but it would be significant on a few thousand.

Paul

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Re: Purchasing on E-bay

Postby Lanark » February 8th, 2024, 4:14 pm

Ebay always used to give buyers the benefit of the doubt, but with couriers becoming ever less reliable, I have noticed a new scam they are pulling. There are now fake 'delivery tracking' companies who will give you a tracking code, the seller can press a button saying the item was delivered and then Ebay and Paypal will take that as "proof" and refuse any kind of refund.

To be clear 95% of deliveries do arrive OK, but if you are unlucky you are increasingly going to be out of pocket.
It's a jungle out there, to the point where I'm now trying to use brick and mortar stores when I can.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » February 8th, 2024, 4:33 pm

And then this is what happens with 'premium' services like Fedex
https://mastodon.scot/@timbray@cosocial ... 6715597857

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » February 8th, 2024, 5:18 pm

Can't you just set the Halifax card as the preferred card on Paypal, and get the cashback that way?

Scott.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » February 8th, 2024, 6:10 pm

PayPal, as well as other 'new forms' of payment like buy now, pay later, can scupper your Section 75 rights.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credi ... Section75/

I think if you buy on Ebay using a card but while logged out of your own paypal account, so direct to the sellers paypal, but not via yours, then you still get section 75 cover. Using a proper regulated bank is a lot safer than trusting paypal.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » February 8th, 2024, 7:15 pm

Lanark wrote:PayPal, as well as other 'new forms' of payment like buy now, pay later, can scupper your Section 75 rights.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credi ... Section75/

I think if you buy on Ebay using a card but while logged out of your own paypal account, so direct to the sellers paypal, but not via yours, then you still get section 75 cover. Using a proper regulated bank is a lot safer than trusting paypal.

As of 1st November 2023:
"Paypal UK Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) as an electronic money institution under the Electronic Money Regulations 2011 for the issuance of electronic money (firm reference number 994790), in relation to its regulated consumer credit activities under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (firm reference number 996405) and for the provision of Cryptocurrency services under the Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing and Transfer of Funds (Information on the Payer) Regulations 2017 (firm reference number 1000741). Some of PayPal UK Ltd’s products including PayPal Pay in 3 and PayPal Working Capital are not regulated by the FCA. PayPal UK Ltd’s company number is 14741686 and its registered address is Whittaker House, Whittaker Avenue, Richmond-Upon-Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom, TW9 1EH."

Source: https://www.paypal.com/uk/legalhub/upco ... ices%20and

Hopefully this change will enable users to feel more confident about using PayPal's services going forward.

Watis

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » February 8th, 2024, 9:43 pm

Paultry wrote:I've just activated an offer from Halifax whereby I receive 2% cashback if I use their credit card.

I'm intrigued. I have a Halifax Clarity Credit Card which I use for purchases abroad but haven't been offered a 2% card.

I know they do Cashback cards but at 0.25% not 2%. If I pay £15 per month I can get 0.5% cashback up to £15000 spending and 1% over that. Both paid annually on anniversary.

So 0.5% on £15000 is £75 per annum but the fee is £180 per annum. I don't call that cashback, rather getting ripped off.

I have a Pulse card which gives 0.25% and credits the cashback on the following month's statement so a lot faster than Halifax.

I'd really like to know about your deal.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » February 8th, 2024, 9:57 pm

Maroochydore wrote:
Paultry wrote:I've just activated an offer from Halifax whereby I receive 2% cashback if I use their credit card.

I'm intrigued. I have a Halifax Clarity Credit Card which I use for purchases abroad but haven't been offered a 2% card.

I know they do Cashback cards but at 0.25% not 2%. If I pay £15 per month I can get 0.5% cashback up to £15000 spending and 1% over that. Both paid annually on anniversary.

So 0.5% on £15000 is £75 per annum but the fee is £180 per annum. I don't call that cashback, rather getting ripped off.

I have a Pulse card which gives 0.25% and credits the cashback on the following month's statement so a lot faster than Halifax.

I'd really like to know about your deal.

I've had offers of 1% and 2% cashback on my Clarity card, but not currently.

I suspect the offers are made to accounts that are not in active use. Mine, for example, is only used abroad or for buying stuff from overseas in a foreign currency. So months go by without any activity on the card.

Watis

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » February 8th, 2024, 10:10 pm

Maroochydore wrote:

If I log in to my Halifax credit card account online, then on the left side of the screen is a box labelled 'CASHBACK EXTRAS'. For me there are currently 42 offers available, one of which is 'eBay 1% cashback'. It seems you have to make the purchase via a link that Halifax provide. It also explicitly states that it is 'not valid on payments made through Paypal and other third parties'.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » February 8th, 2024, 10:21 pm

Stompa wrote:
Maroochydore wrote:I'm intrigued. I have a Halifax Clarity Credit Card which I use for purchases abroad but haven't been offered a 2% card.

If I log in to my Halifax credit card account online, then on the left side of the screen is a box labelled 'CASHBACK EXTRAS'. For me there are currently 42 offers available, one of which is 'eBay 1% cashback'. It seems you have to make the purchase via a link that Halifax provide. It also explicitly states that it is 'not valid on payments made through Paypal and other third parties'.

The Halifax offer two types of cashback:

The Cashback Extras are offered against specific retailers for various percentages.

The other type, which the OP referred to, is a fixed percentage awarded against all purchases made using the Halifax card in a given timeframe, usually three or six months.

Watis

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » February 8th, 2024, 10:59 pm

Watis wrote:The Halifax offer two types of cashback:

The Cashback Extras are offered against specific retailers for various percentages.

The other type, which the OP referred to, is a fixed percentage awarded against all purchases made using the Halifax card in a given timeframe, usually three or six months.

Hmmm, I must admit I'd interpreted the OP as referring to an eBay specific offer, though I could well be wrong!

I've had a fixed percentage awarded against all purchases for much longer than months though, in fact currently since 2015 (also between 2002 & 2007), though admittedly it's now a rather measly 0.25%.

BobGe
Lemon Slice

Postby BobGe » February 9th, 2024, 5:38 am

swill453 wrote:Can't you just set the Halifax card as the preferred card on Paypal, and get the cashback that way?

Yes, do this. Paypal gives you reclaim protection for any sum (AFAIAA), a credit card protection is for sums of £100 and above (again AFAIAA).
It doesn't need to be preferred if using ebay "Buy Now", you can choose at the point of payment. (You may need to nowadays with best offer or auction..., I've not witnessed first hand how that's currently functioning in practice.)

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » February 9th, 2024, 10:42 am

Paultry wrote:I normally pay for E-bay purchases using PayPal but I've just activated an offer from Halifax whereby I receive 2% cashback if I use their credit card.

I have over 2000 feedback on eBay and 3000+ transactions. To my knowledge and in my experience, it's eBay rather than Paypal that does any refunding.

When one sells, payments no longer arrive via Paypal. They come direct to one's bank a/c from eBay.

I've not had much grief as a buyer - and almost none as a seller - but where I've had to 'open a case' it's been eBay that has refunded me, and nowadays they refund direct to my bank a/c, whether or not I originally paid with Paypal.

If you're talking about potentially pursuing a dispute beyond the bounds of the eBay system, I think that would be rather difficult given that you don't even know the identity of the seller nor their address.

But in practical terms I wouldn't worry about using your Halifax card or Paypal - it will make no difference.

V8

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » February 9th, 2024, 2:58 pm

[i]
Lanark wrote:Ebay always used to give buyers the benefit of the doubt, but with couriers becoming ever less reliable, I have noticed a new scam they are pulling. There are now fake 'delivery tracking' companies who will give you a tracking code, the seller can press a button saying the item was delivered and then Ebay and Paypal will take that as "proof" and refuse any kind of refund.

To be clear 95% of deliveries do arrive OK, but if you are unlucky you are increasingly going to be out of pocket.
It's a jungle out there, to the point where I'm now trying to use brick and mortar stores when I can.
[/i]

That seems to be my problem...
That the item has not arrived and yet no replacement or refund because it has apparently been tracked as delivered .
I was told that I should enquire of all my neighbours and fill in a form and submit to the Post Office in order to get a refund.
It was a low value item and really not worth a lot of fuss but as you say I now am avoiding on line purchases.
Also, it makes a nonsense of 'Free Delivery' terms stated, if the purchaser has to undertake an investigation of the courier who was selected by the vendor

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » February 9th, 2024, 4:08 pm

88V8 wrote:To my knowledge and in my experience, it's eBay rather than Paypal that does any refunding.

I missed the window for disputing the transaction on Ebay because the button for doing that is styled as grey on grey, a very dark pattern which makes it look like the option has been disabled even when it is still active. Once you miss the deadline the only remaining option is a paypal dispute.

BobGe
Lemon Slice

Postby BobGe » February 10th, 2024, 5:19 am

88V8 wrote:
Paultry wrote:I normally pay for E-bay purchases using PayPal but I've just activated an offer from Halifax whereby I receive 2% cashback if I use their credit card.

I have over 2000 feedback on eBay and 3000+ transactions. To my knowledge and in my experience, it's eBay rather than Paypal that does any refunding.

But read what the o/p asked. The o/p is a purchaser who normally uses PP and wants to get Hx CC cashback. So the obvious thing to do is to register the CC on PP and then use PP debiting the CC. He/she then has three levels of 'protection' at his/her fingertips, CC, PP & ebay.

88V8 wrote:When one sells, payments no longer arrive via Paypal. They come direct to one's bank a/c from eBay.

Somewhat off topic but this came about if one agreed to ebay "managed payments" (which may now be mandatory because it's being used for KYC / AML reasons) or are operating as a business. However, the o/p is considering purchases.

88V8 wrote:I've not had much grief as a buyer... but where I've had to 'open a case' it's been eBay that has refunded me, and nowadays they refund direct to my bank a/c, whether or not I originally paid with Paypal.

The default is that refunds go to the original source, for the obvious reason and so that any transaction fees are reversed.

88V8 wrote:If you're talking about potentially pursuing a dispute beyond the bounds of the eBay system, I think that would be rather difficult given that you don't even know the identity of the seller nor their address.

With PP or CC protection you don't need to know.

88V8 wrote:But in practical terms I wouldn't worry about using your Halifax card or Paypal - it will make no difference.

Again, please re-read the o/p's question. He/she wants to avail themselves of the cashback offer.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » February 10th, 2024, 8:48 am

BobGe wrote: He/she then has three levels of 'protection' at his/her fingertips, CC, PP & ebay.

The only CC protection you will get in that case is if PayPal itself were to go bust.

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » February 10th, 2024, 12:13 pm

But read what the o/p asked. The o/p is a purchaser who normally uses PP and wants to get Hx CC cashback. So the obvious thing to do is to register the CC on PP and then use PP debiting the CC. He/she then has three levels of 'protection' at his/her fingertips, CC, PP & ebay.

I'm pretty sure if you pay for an ebay purchase with Paypal and Paypal takes the cash from your Halifax credit card, you will not get the 'cashback' offer on your credit card because the provider will recognise the payment as being made to Paypal not ebay.

In terms of protection I would suggest that paying direct to ebay with a card would secure the standard credit card protections, paying via Paypal with your card cuts the link between card and end purchase, the card protection covers you if Paypal shafts you or goes bust only.

BH

BobGe
Lemon Slice

Postby BobGe » February 12th, 2024, 7:08 am

Lanark wrote:The only CC protection you will get in that case is if PayPal itself were to go bust.

Not so.

BobGe
Lemon Slice

Postby BobGe » February 12th, 2024, 8:04 am

bionichamster wrote:I'm pretty sure if you pay for an ebay purchase with Paypal and Paypal takes the cash from your Halifax credit card, you will not get the 'cashback' offer on your credit card because the provider will recognise the payment as being made to Paypal not ebay.

That would depend upon HX T&Cs for the cashback. But if it is available when used 'on ebay' it would seem likely that there is no reason why it should not work 'on PP'. (When paying for purchases you are not buying from ebay!)

bionichamster wrote:...paying via Paypal with your card cuts the link between card and end purchase...

Sorry, that's nonsense.

bionichamster wrote:...the card protection covers you if Paypal shafts you or goes bust only.

Consider the differing protection levels and hierarchy.

Return to “Does anyone know?”