Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Contactless again!

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Stompa
Lemon Slice

Re: Contactless again!

Postby Stompa » March 21st, 2024, 9:17 am

XFool wrote:
Stompa wrote:I have a contactless credit card which has sometimes behaved a bit oddly on buses. Mostly it works as expected, but on the odd occasion I have found that whilst it appears to have worked the transaction never actually appears on my credit card statement. Once this has happened the card seems to get blacklisted, and I'm unable to use it on buses for a while. After a month or two it'll start working as normal again.

Thanks for that. So it could just be one of those things? Though in my case it definitely didn't work - red light on bus card reader.

Think I'll let sleeping dogs lie with the debit card. After all, I never normally use it for payments, I always use my credit card for that. If/when this bus issue crops up again I'll rely on my old Oyster card.

If it were to be the same issue as mine then I think it would need to have appeared (i.e. green light) to work the first time it was used (in order to get blacklisted), but it sounds as though that's not the case with yours?

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » March 21st, 2024, 9:19 am

XFool wrote:The perils of modern life: Or, the increasing complexity of just paying for 'things'. Part XXIII

Question is: Why did my perfectly valid contactless debit card not work?

TIA

Have you considered whether the Mayor of London (or one of his minions) reads TLF?

T7

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 21st, 2024, 9:32 am

XFool wrote:I don't use Contactless, but I understand the first time a contactless card is used it has to be used to purchase something using Chip & Pin, else its contactless function can not be used. OK, I have never done this, but I have repeatedly used it with Chip & Pin at an ATM and via my card reader - is this not adequate? Why not?

No it's not adequate, as they have specifically told you you have to make a purchase with Chip&PIN before using it contactless.

As to the why - well they probably assume that most people will use it for purchases far more often than you do, and don't consider the possibility that the very first contactless use will be somewhere like a bus with no PIN facility.

Of course what they are trying to validate is that the card genuinely made it to your possession, and not been intercepted by a scroat who doesn't know the PIN. Your use of it in an ATM should have laid that to rest, but it probably didn't come up in any of their use-cases. Such is life, nobody's perfect, especially banks' IT.

The upshot is you were told what you needed to do to activate it, it's up to you whether you want to follow the instructions or not.

Scott.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 21st, 2024, 9:41 am

swill453 wrote:
XFool wrote:I don't use Contactless, but I understand the first time a contactless card is used it has to be used to purchase something using Chip & Pin, else its contactless function can not be used. OK, I have never done this, but I have repeatedly used it with Chip & Pin at an ATM and via my card reader - is this not adequate? Why not?

No it's not adequate, as they have specifically told you you have to make a purchase with Chip&PIN before using it contactless.

As to the why - well they probably assume that most people will use it for purchases far more often than you do, and don't consider the possibility that the very first contactless use will be somewhere like a bus with no PIN facility.

Of course what they are trying to validate is that the card genuinely made it to your possession, and not been intercepted by a scroat who doesn't know the PIN. Your use of it in an ATM should have laid that to rest, but it probably didn't come up in any of their use-cases. Such is life, nobody's perfect, especially banks' IT.

The upshot is you were told what you needed to do to activate it, it's up to you whether you want to follow the instructions or not.

Thanks. You are absolutely sure about this? I did imply this as a possible cause, in my OP. It's just that it didn't seem to make sense to me.

But then what does? :lol:

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » March 21st, 2024, 10:01 am

Moderator Message:
Please bear in mind this thread is in DAK. Direct questions and answers only - not general discussion.

I have removed posts which breach other forum rules

(chas49)

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » March 21st, 2024, 10:28 am

XFool wrote:Meanwhile, my original question remains unanswered: "Why did my contactless debit card not work on a TfL bus?"

Perhaps the question is does it work anywhere?

Assuming you have an even vaguely modern phone, install and try this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.github.devnied.emvnfccard

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 21st, 2024, 10:32 am

mc2fool wrote:
XFool wrote:Meanwhile, my original question remains unanswered: "Why did my contactless debit card not work on a TfL bus?"

Perhaps the question is does it work anywhere?

For contactless purchases and payments? Possibly not. But then, as I don't use it for such, the simplest option now is to leave it alone. Meaning it can't then be used by anyone else either. So best for security, in this case.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » March 21st, 2024, 10:36 am

XFool wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Perhaps the question is does it work anywhere?

For contactless purchases and payments? Possibly not. But then, as I don't use it for such, the simplest option now is to leave it alone. Meaning it can't then be used by anyone else either. So best for security, in this case.

If you install and try the aforementioned app it will tell you the state of your card and (possibly, depending on what it says) answer your OP question.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 21st, 2024, 10:46 am

mc2fool wrote:
XFool wrote:For contactless purchases and payments? Possibly not. But then, as I don't use it for such, the simplest option now is to leave it alone. Meaning it can't then be used by anyone else either. So best for security, in this case.

If you install and try the aforementioned app it will tell you the state of your card and (possibly, depending on what it says) answer your OP question.

Thanks for the suggestion! But, I think I can safely assure you that won't install on my current phone. :)

I guess I could try to use it to pay, contactless, at some shop to see what happens. If it asks for my PIN I'd just cancel the transaction and pay with my CC by Chip & PIn, as usual.

Amyway, I think the question seems likely answered as much as it can be and I'll just carry on as I am. So, in the best traditions of TLF, this thread is now (semi) officially closed. ;)

PS. Just received text for next hospital appointment at 9.30am. :(
Looks like that Oyster card is not yet obsolete...

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » March 21st, 2024, 3:02 pm

XFool wrote:Amyway, I think the question seems likely answered as much as it can be and I'll just carry on as I am. So, in the best traditions of TLF, this thread is now (semi) officially closed. ;)

Moderator Message:
Officially closed (chas49)

Return to “Does anyone know?”