Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Fort Knox empty?

GN100
2 Lemon pips

Re: Fort Knox empty?

Postby GN100 » November 25th, 2016, 10:54 pm

In this context the Jim Rikards books make interesting (although not easy) reading:-

The New Case for Gold

The Death Of Money

Currency Wars

GN

Hampshirelad

Postby Hampshirelad » November 26th, 2016, 11:57 am

GN100 wrote:In this context the Jim Rikards books make interesting (although not easy) reading:-

The New Case for Gold

The Death Of Money

Currency Wars

GN

And his latest book "The Road to Ruin"....he seems to release 1 or 2 a year pretty much saying the same thing "we are all doomed"

Whilst I kinda follow the logic and it makes sense....I'm not convinced it couldn't keep getting kicked down the road for another 20 years.

Follow the advice of these talking heads over last 6 years and you are likely to now be well out of pocket.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » December 5th, 2016, 3:16 pm

1nv35t wrote:Germany a few years back asked for the return of their gold from America, the American's refused, and even refused a simple audit.

That quote interested me so I thought I'd check this. According to http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-01-2 ... -and-paris by end 2015 about 189 tonnes has been moved from New York to Frankfurt leaving 111 tonnes still to repatriate. Similar movements from Paris to Frankfurt. There is a wiki on the subject of gold repatriation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_repatriation. All seems to be above board, or am I missing something ?

regards, dspp

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » December 7th, 2016, 1:42 pm

All seems to be above board, or am I missing something ?

Yes, we are living in the era of post-truth.

What matters is no longer what the facts are - it's what people say on social media

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » February 6th, 2017, 8:35 pm

ap8889 wrote:Given I can go online and buy tungsten cored bullion readily over the internet

I must admit this was news to me, but it's quite correct.

I was surprised to see this fake US Gold Eagle openly for sale by a (surprise, surprise) Chinese manufacturer - https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 16957.html

The description states the `usage' as `Promotional/ gifts/ activities/ decoration etc.' Yeah, right. So how come it's priced at $150 - $500, when the tungsten itself is worth no more than a dollar or so, and the gold plating might add another $20 at most? It seems a rather large mark up. And why is the price so variable? Surely it can't have any link to the price of the real thing?

And why are they so keen to show that it has exactly the same dimensions, and most importantly, the same weight as a genuine gold US Gold Eagle? Surely that might tempt some rascally folk to buy one and then try to pass it off as pure gold ? Or am I just being too cynical! ;)

I really don't understand why the US Government allows this to happen. I appreciate that for every scumbag Chinese operator you close 5 more will spring up, but I'd have thought that the US Government could attack the means of transmitting payment, such as Western Union, by applying sanctions to them if they facilitate this type of transaction.

brugen

Postby brugen » February 14th, 2017, 6:31 pm

Fort Knox is empty. I watched a documentary about the British Secret Service in the 1960s. This showed a Mr Goldfinger and his criminal associates clearing the vaults.

This was the reason that Nixon had to break the dollar link with gold in 1971.

baldchap
Lemon Slice

Postby baldchap » February 14th, 2017, 8:29 pm

Hampshirelad wrote:
GN100 wrote:In this context the Jim Rikards books make interesting (although not easy) reading:-

The New Case for Gold

The Death Of Money

Currency Wars

GN

And his latest book "The Road to Ruin"....he seems to release 1 or 2 a year pretty much saying the same thing "we are all doomed"

Whilst I kinda follow the logic and it makes sense....I'm not convinced it couldn't keep getting kicked down the road for another 20 years.

Follow the advice of these talking heads over last 6 years and you are likely to now be well out of pocket.

He does go an a bit Mr Rickard, but may eventually be correct.
I try to maintain a small percentage of my worth in physical gold. I don't worry about price fluctuations, Gold is not an investment but an insurance policy.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 14th, 2017, 11:37 pm

brugen wrote:Fort Knox is empty. I watched a documentary about the British Secret Service in the 1960s. This showed a Mr Goldfinger and his criminal associates clearing the vaults.

Oh yeah! I remember I saw that same documentary. But I thought he was planning to contaminate all the gold with a dirty bomb? Still:

http://www.dw.com/en/german-gold-repatr ... a-37477837

Return to “Mining & Metals”