Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

End of the bear flattener

Gilts, bonds, and interest-bearing shares
GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

End of the bear flattener

Postby GoSeigen » December 19th, 2016, 1:27 am

Many pundits are predicting the end of the bond bull market. Personally I am skeptical. Clearly bonds are not as cheap as in 2006-7, but with the end of the bear flattener around August 2016 and recent bear steepening I think bonds are becoming attractive again.

I have recently bought US treasuries worth about 7% of our net worth, partly offsetting existing short JGB positions of 37% of net worth.

Anyone else buying Treasuries or other government bonds?

GS

TimR
2 Lemon pips

Re: End of the bear flattener

Postby TimR » December 22nd, 2016, 10:21 am

GoSeigen wrote:Many pundits are predicting the end of the bond bull market. Personally I am skeptical. Clearly bonds are not as cheap as in 2006-7, but with the end of the bear flattener around August 2016 and recent bear steepening I think bonds are becoming attractive again.

I have recently bought US treasuries worth about 7% of our net worth, partly offsetting existing short JGB positions of 37% of net worth.

Anyone else buying Treasuries or other government bonds?

GS

My platform (Best Invest) is poor with it's choice of US Bonds / Bond ETfs. (Only has the following US ETFs - Treasuries - IBTS, IBTM, IBGE, USTY and (ITPS as only TIPs choice). All I have been doing over the last three months is reducing duration of my IG and Gov Bond ETFs (reducing SLXX and more IS15) (reducing VGOV and more GLTS).
Do you know of a better platform ?

gadgetmind
Lemon Pip

Postby gadgetmind » December 22nd, 2016, 10:50 am

TimR wrote:My platform (Best Invest) is poor with it's choice of US Bonds / Bond ETfs.

Whenever I have asked them to add another ETF they have done it pretty promptly.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » December 22nd, 2016, 1:03 pm

TimR wrote:My platform (Best Invest) is poor with it's choice of US Bonds / Bond ETfs. (Only has the following US ETFs - Treasuries - IBTS, IBTM, IBGE, USTY and (ITPS as only TIPs choice). All I have been doing over the last three months is reducing duration of my IG and Gov Bond ETFs (reducing SLXX and more IS15) (reducing VGOV and more GLTS).
Do you know of a better platform ?

I'm just betting long on the futures with IGIndex. So, paying LIBOR carry which reduces the returns but still a reasonable position for me.

GS

Return to “Gilts and Bonds”