Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Fixie/Single speed

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
samenic

Fixie/Single speed

Postby samenic » December 19th, 2016, 10:02 am

Tis the season have decided to treat myself to a new bike,sold my winter one.Have been scanning all the sites looking for the lightest flip/flop for under £750,must be able to take thick winter tyres.So far the Specialized Langster and the Bianchi pista are the front runners has anybody any experience in this field? Thanks..

cinelli
Lemon Slice

Re: Fixie/Single speed

Postby cinelli » December 22nd, 2016, 12:38 pm

Rather than buying off the shelf, have you considered converting your existing bike? This would be very cheap. There are Youtube videos explaining how to proceed. You might not like the fixed experience and you could then convert back.

Cinelli

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » December 22nd, 2016, 1:13 pm

wrt single speed (with freewheel hub) a few years ago I found a skip bike, and turned it into a single speed by just removing the dérailleur jockey wheel, and removing links form the chain such that a simple chain loop ran from the front round the rear "cassette" in as straight a line as possible to remove strain

If of course you want a fixie then you are looking to need a separate wheel with fixed hub, or to change the hubs so the above is no use :-)
If its a true flip flop wheel you seek the hubs are available online - presumably you have to retain a jokey wheel then to handle the differences in chain length to handle two different sized rear sprocket

eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/35149547 ... 505&crdt=0

didds

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 22nd, 2016, 1:36 pm

samenic wrote:Tis the season have decided to treat myself to a new bike,sold my winter one.Have been scanning all the sites looking for the lightest flip/flop for under £750,must be able to take thick winter tyres.So far the Specialized Langster and the Bianchi pista are the front runners has anybody any experience in this field? Thanks..

I had the Fuji Track Classic with the Tange steel frame which was a nice basic bike, did not like the fact that the brake levers were not designed for the drop bars though.The other make to look at is the Kona Paddywagon.

John

MrDoppleGanger

Postby MrDoppleGanger » December 22nd, 2016, 3:55 pm

samenic wrote:Tis the season have decided to treat myself to a new bike,sold my winter one.Have been scanning all the sites looking for the lightest flip/flop for under £750,must be able to take thick winter tyres.So far the Specialized Langster and the Bianchi pista are the front runners has anybody any experience in this field? Thanks..

I've got a Genesis Day One for my winter commuter hack (Schwalbe Marathon Pluses, carrier and full mudguards). It's been fine, I'd probably get one with disc brakes if I was doing it again.

Paul

bombat

Postby bombat » December 23rd, 2016, 12:21 pm

There are several things to take in to consideration.

Firstly, it's possible to convert an existing bike in to a singlespeed, but unless you have a frame with track ends or horizontal drop-outs, then it's difficult to convert to fixed. Putting on a fixed wheel and running a derailleur won't work!

If you're looking for a replacement for a winter bike (and it's a great idea, I ride fixed through most of the winter) just make sure that you get something with the right geometry. Proper track bikes tend to have aggressive geometry, so riding them for more than an hour can get uncomfortable. Again, if it's a winter bike replacement, consider looking for something with dedicated mudguard bosses (although you can get round this with P-clips)

Options worth exploring, that might not have appeared on your list already:
Genesis, Condor, Dolan, Planet X, Surly

Miltomatic

Postby Miltomatic » January 4th, 2017, 5:12 am

Hi Samenic

This might be too late, but, depending where you are, it might be worth looking at Brick Lane Bikes. I bought a single speed from them a while back and I love it.

Their website:

https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk

My bike (more or less)

https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/blb-commuter-complete-celesteblack

Milt

Return to “Cycling”