Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Kicking Off!

Reading price charts which may give you direction in the market using established TA methodology
oldcharlie
Lemon Pip

Kicking Off!

Postby oldcharlie » November 9th, 2016, 12:08 pm

Hallo to all fellow refugees from the Fool!

So glad that we have a new home after so many years on the Fool. The active posters may be few in number but there are a surprising number of lurkers. Traffic increases when fear about the direction of the Market rises!

I was a bit worried initially that there would be a continuous stream of posts and that picking up TA except by search on "Technical Analysis " would not be easy. But today I simply went to the Board.

I do hope that we can keep out discussions polite as it might wear the kind authors of this site down.

Many thanks to the providers of lemon Fool and this Board.

OC

zxc100

Re: Kicking Off!

Postby zxc100 » November 9th, 2016, 2:25 pm

Glad to see you here OC. I think one of the best ways to deal with any anti TA slanging is just to ignore it but lets hope it doesn't come to that!

zxc

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 10th, 2016, 6:31 am

oldcharlie wrote:...there are a surprising number of lurkers...

That would be me then :D

Remember to let stooz know what description (if any) you'd like to see in the board index under its title. At the moment it says...
Technical Analysis
description wanted, please tell us what you would like here

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 10th, 2016, 7:28 am

Morning OC, great to see you over here. I made a point of specifically requesting any boards I follow [c15] where they had not already been created. Better safe than sorry, and you can't assume someone else will request them. Also doing it early enough meant that this place would be running before TMF shuts, so a link for this place can be left over on TMF-TA for anyone who doesn't yet know the changes underway.

I'd suggest others do similar for the boards they follow, if they haven't already, especially on any boards that are smaller but niche/distinctive/important to them.

Anywayz... great to see this place migrated here without interruption. TA-TA-for-now ;)

Cligga

Postby Cligga » November 10th, 2016, 9:36 am

Hello OC and other regulars. My name won’t mean anything to you but I have lurked regularly on TA on TMF for some time. I trawl through those boards that interest me most days on TMF and TA is always my last port of call. Following are Value Shares, and I no longer buy individual companies, and VCT’s, which I don’t quite understand. I don’t understand TA either ;) but I’ve always found there is distilled comment from the technical stuff which is often very interesting. Another thing OC alludes to is that the posts on the board have a civilised objectivity and are basically friendly. So I’m delighted to find TA here now and I hope you won’t mind if I continue to quietly peep in the door from time to time.

Cligga

serpenteer

Postby serpenteer » November 10th, 2016, 10:26 am

Hi everyone, good to see this board up and running, Maybe we should have a chat about the board description.

What about, "Charts to give you direction in the market"

pretty tame but I'm sure someone will have a bright idea

Serpenteer

serpenteer

Postby serpenteer » November 10th, 2016, 10:27 am

Hi everyone, good to see this board up and running, Maybe we should have a chat about the board description.

What about, "Charts to give you direction in the market"

pretty tame but I'm sure someone will have a bright idea

Serpenteer

serpenteer

Postby serpenteer » November 10th, 2016, 10:27 am

Whoops, we need a double post check like TMF

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 10th, 2016, 5:49 pm

serpenteer wrote:Whoops, we need a double post check like TMF

It happens for a different reason here, and caught me out a few times until I cottoned on to how these boards work. It seems to be down to 'poster confusion' for the most part.

If while you've been composing a post someone else has added a reply, then when you hit 'Submit' it doesn't - instead it stays in the editor and lets you see the new reply. That way you have a chance to amend your reply (or not) in light of the new comments before actually submitting. This can be a bit confusing and lead you to mistakenly post the same thing twice (I know, I have done so several time). Note that if you're still in the (8 minutes?) editing 'window' then one of the editing options is a tick-box for 'Delete this post' right down at the bottom of the screen, below the Preview/Submit buttons.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 10th, 2016, 6:06 pm

serpenteer wrote:Whoops, we need a double post check like TMF

You could 'Report this post' [ie your own] via the '!' button and ask for the dupe to be deleted, but frankly I expect the Mods have greater priorities on their plates right now than er.... cosmetic matters like this. So best not worry about it, we're all getting used to this new structure anyway.

p.s. Other forums I've frequented using this structure, they've had 'flood-control'. That is you can't post more than say one reply a minute, or at least it warns you and prompts you to confirm your follow-up is not a dupe post in error. It's primarily to stop maniac spammers/bots. I expect similar might be enabled here once a critical mass of spammers/SES/bots descends, as might reasonably be expected [sigh].

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

I like this new phpBB better than the 'old place'

Postby Breelander » November 10th, 2016, 6:19 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:You could 'Report this post' [ie your own] via the '!' button and ask for the dupe to be deleted...

The Mods have a lot more options here. You could also ask (AIUI) for a reply on the wrong thread to be moved to the right one, a reply to be turned into the first post of its own thread - or even have your thread moved to another more appropriate board.

oldcharlie
Lemon Pip

Postby oldcharlie » November 10th, 2016, 8:05 pm

Serps,

I wrote to organisers and suggested a description. Unfortunately, i did not ask for an e-mail back to me and so I cannot recall exactly what I wrote after consulting Murphy! Something like:

Analysing market activity by way of charts of price and volume andemploying momentum indicators and other statistical techniques.

OC

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 11th, 2016, 12:41 am

oldcharlie wrote: I wrote to organisers and suggested a description. Unfortunately, i did not ask for an e-mail back to me and so I cannot recall exactly what I wrote...

Did you send a Lemon Fool 'Private Message' ? If so, a copy is in your Outbox here: ucp.php?i=pm&folder=sentbox

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Re: I like this new phpBB better than the 'old place'

Postby DiamondEcho » November 11th, 2016, 12:22 pm

Breelander wrote:
DiamondEcho wrote:You could 'Report this post' [ie your own] via the '!' button and ask for the dupe to be deleted...

The Mods have a lot more options here. You could also ask (AIUI) for a reply on the wrong thread to be moved to the right one, a reply to be turned into the first post of its own thread - or even have your thread moved to another more appropriate board.

There is what I consider a better way of addressing the above, that helps to reduce the burden on Mods.
Rather than asking a Mod to move a post of mine what I do is simply make a copy of it and post it where it was originally intended. Simple.
Then go to my original [in the wrong place], report it [via '!'], and simply ask for it to be deleted explaining it's in the wrong place and redundant since I've x-posted it already in the right place.

re: move Reply>new thread. This is useful where a topic lurches OT. I.e. esp in a topic that is very focused and risks losing that focus via a lurch, and where the lurch itself is likely valid/reasonable in a separate topic. If it happens it can be politely/constructively suggested to the lurchers [hehe], below their post, that they start a new thread. That suggestion can be made by anyone who values the focus of the original topic.

re: Moving topic. I agree this is something that requires Mod intervention. It tends to happen where a discussion starts in the wrong place, no one suggests the original-poster ['OP'] puts it elsewhere, and then the discussion in the wrong place is allowed to continue...

As you see, I believe there is a lot we Lemons can do to maintain a welcoming and focused place without resorting to the Mods more than for real issues [spammers, a Lemon who's really 'going off on one' etc].

Just my 2c/IME etc
OT: is the LF equivalent of 'Fool on!' 'Juice on'!? ;)

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 11th, 2016, 10:19 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:Rather than asking a Mod to move a post of mine what I do is simply make a copy of it and post it where it was originally intended. Simple.
Then go to my original [in the wrong place], report it [via '!'], and simply ask for it to be deleted...

Even less work for the Mods if you realise your mistake while you can still edit it (you've got an 8 minute 'window'). Scroll right down to the bottom of the editor and you can delete your own post - tick the 'Delete this post' box and then Submit.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 12th, 2016, 6:57 pm

Breelander wrote:Then go to my original [in the wrong place], report it [via '!'], and simply ask for it to be deleted...

Even less work for the Mods if you realise your mistake while you can still edit it (you've got an 8 minute 'window'). Scroll right down to the bottom of the editor and you can delete your own post - tick the 'Delete this post' box and then Submit.[/quote]

It could be but might depend if a person is in the habit of proof-reading/previewing a new post before posting it. I do, especially if it's long or has any complexity in the formatting. Once I've posted something I don't return to it unless perhaps seeking to divine how any later reply has [apparently] misinterpreted what I wrote :) But that's never likely to be within the edit/lock window if it's just 8 minutes.

Return to “Technical Analysis”