Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

*WARNING* Play fair and keep it calm on this board

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
grimer
2 Lemon pips

Perhaps a 'prefix' system might help resolve this?

Postby grimer » November 13th, 2016, 7:58 pm

If the board is going to widen its focus to include ITs, etc, then a 'topic prefix' system may help users to filter on subjects that interest them:

https://s21.postimg.org/q299zcjdz/bittech.jpg

I don't know if that system is compatible with this board's software, but it might be a useful feature.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Re: *WARNING* Play fair and keep it calm on this board

Postby Clariman » November 14th, 2016, 9:40 am

Dod1010 wrote:
Personally I think we need to get away from 'This is my system and this is all that can be discussed here' . ...

I don't think Stooz or I want to behave in that kind of way. If you read back through my posts on this discussion and elsewhere, you will see me use the phrase "live and let live" a few times - albeit with caveats. That applies to the site owners and it also applies to each poster respecting each other.

Someone used the analogy of being a guest in someone's house. That's not a bad one, so let me expand on it. The TMF house was like a large apartment block where many different families lived. Lemon house is a smaller apartment block sitting around the corner. The owners of Lemon House know many of the Motley families and often visited their apartments and joined in the polite respectful chat. Although there was the occasional tiff, it was generally very friendly and people were rarely chucked out and the police never had to be called. So rehousing those families in Lemon House has been nothing but a pleasure.

However, there were always rumours that other apartments in the Motley block had trouble - apartments that the Lemon House owners never visited. Some of those who regularly visited those apartments warned us about the wild parties that they had there - that there were fights, the police had to be called regularly, that people got hurt. Some apartments had to be broken up and some members had to be moved to an adjoining apartment. Furthermore, the owners of the Motley apartment block had to pay for lawyers to defend themselves because of the activities that went on in some of the other apartments. Bad things had been said and they were sued.

While the owners of Lemon House are keen to rehouse these people too before Motley Towers is demolished, they want to make sure that the rehoused families know the standards of behaviour that are expected and the possibly consequences if they are not.

Oh and there is also one very fundamental difference between Motley House and Lemon House. Motley House was built for profit, yet created a wonderful community that worked very well. It was closed for financial reasons. Lemon House has been built with no expectation or plan of financial reward - it was built so that people could be re-housed. If you like, it was a philanthropic gesture which makes the creators of the site feel good about themselves. And you know what the great Victorian philanthropists were like - they only wanted to help the 'deserving poor'! In other words, lack of profit isn't going to close this site, but if it becomes a pain to manage then things could get closed down. :o ;)

I'm taking this a bit too far and I don't want to patronise anyone. We are all adults and if we respect each others views and behave well, then there will not be a problem. It is about being respectful to each other and NOT bringing any historical personal spats and petty enmities over here :)

Many thanks
Clariman

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 15th, 2016, 8:51 am

Well said sir. Us exfools should be grateful for this opportunity. Let's not spoil it.

Regards,

Ian

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » November 16th, 2016, 2:50 pm

Clariman wrote:
Dod1010 wrote:
Personally I think we need to get away from 'This is my system and this is all that can be discussed here' . ...

I don't think Stooz or I want to behave in that kind of way. If you read back through my posts on this discussion and elsewhere, you will see me use the phrase "live and let live" a few times - albeit with caveats. That applies to the site owners and it also applies to each poster respecting each other.

Many thanks
Clariman

To be fair, Clariman, I don't think Dodd was talking about you or Stooz, or even how the boards will be run - I think he was talking about the Pyad/TMF HYP 'system' and what is discussed on *this* board, which is the crux of the whole issue (for years), so I will say no more about it!

Mel

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » March 22nd, 2017, 2:12 pm

Just to let everyone know, the rules have been updated to reflect the use of embedded images.

All embedded images (including data and graphs) in posts must:-
Include an additional link (URL) to a web page where the original may be viewed in context, or
Where the image is hosted on either a domain owned or controlled by the poster, or a hosting site account (e.g. Imgur, Picasa, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive) be followed by a statement that the poster owns (or is legally permitted to post) the content of the image .
If this is later to be found to be incorrect, appropriate action will be taken by administrators.
Images which do not comply with these requirements may be removed without warning.

Raptor.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”