Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

I'm worried about the possible effect the Covid Denial Thread

Constructive suggestions only please.
mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: I'm worried about the possible effect the Covid Denial Thread

Postby mc2fool » October 25th, 2022, 12:49 pm

XFool wrote:Yes! My attention was drawn to a couple of their posts on a TLF property(?) board. They were entirely normal, ordinary and indistinguishable from other posts on that thread. No OTT manic comments, no 'funny' punctuation..........., no CAPITAL LETTERS. Just ordinary. What gives?

There were a few vaccine/covid nonsense posts from him in March 2021, then one in December 2021, then nothing until the recent deluge.

One thing I noticed from the (very) few links of theirs I followed, often most or even all of a post would be directly copy'n'pasted from the source being linked to -- but he gave no indication of that, i.e. didn't italicise it or put it in quotes or use the Quote tags or indicate it by any other way. So it was very difficult to know what he was saying vs that of others he'd copied; it often looked like the post was all his.....

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 25th, 2022, 12:56 pm

Clariman wrote:By all means continue to discuss here for a bit, but I'll delete this topic within the next 24 hours.

Why? This thread is part of the history of the site, I see no reason to remove it.

Indeed, I notice that often when an issue is raised, once you've decided it's resolved (one way or another) you delete the thread, but personally I don't think that's a good idea, 'cos it removes the history of there having been an issue, what it was and how it was resolved. It's really best to keep that.

Or maybe your real name is Winston Smith? ;)

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 26th, 2022, 11:11 am

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » October 26th, 2022, 11:40 am

Thanks. We've already deleted 8 more posts by him this morning. He has been given a 2 week ban because he was warned.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » October 26th, 2022, 11:42 am

mc2fool wrote:
Clariman wrote:By all means continue to discuss here for a bit, but I'll delete this topic within the next 24 hours.

Why? This thread is part of the history of the site, I see no reason to remove it.

Indeed, I notice that often when an issue is raised, once you've decided it's resolved (one way or another) you delete the thread, but personally I don't think that's a good idea, 'cos it removes the history of there having been an issue, what it was and how it was resolved. It's really best to keep that.

Or maybe your real name is Winston Smith? ;)

I understand. However, we want to remove all trace of the Covid Denial content in case it causes us problems in the future.

The other reason I remove things from the boards at the top of the site is because we like to keep them clear of day to day operational stuff. This topic should have really been in Room 102 rather than up here.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 26th, 2022, 11:43 am

Clariman wrote:

Thanks. We've already deleted 8 more posts by him this morning. He has been given a 2 week ban because he was warned.

Well done for keeping on top of it
I will "thank you" as that is a tedious task

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » October 26th, 2022, 12:19 pm

Contrary to previous speculations, I now believe poster Jimarilo to be a real person, not a bot, whatever the variation in posting styles - maybe that is just how it is?

Moderator Message:
Removed content which could have been used to reveal the identity of a poster. Clariman

Return to “Suggestions to Improve the Site”