Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Suggestion for new board

Constructive suggestions only please.
csearle
Lemon Quarter

Suggestion for new board

Postby csearle » December 18th, 2021, 7:14 pm

I think there may be room for a "Quotes" or "Great Quotes" board, maybe under "INTERESTS - CULTURE, LEISURE , FOOD AND NATURE". My reasoning is that there doesn't seem to be a place to collect them here.

One might reasonably argue that this is a bulletin board focusing on a community of individuals with a shared interest in personal finance and investment. There are however other boards unrelated to this core purpose that many find just as much part of the charm of this place, almost like the backdrop in a theatre.

If there had been such a board I would have hoped for a single thread per quotee (if you see what I mean) and have posted under JM Barrie:

The life of every man is a diary in which he means to write one story, and writes another; and his humblest hour is when he compares the volume as it is with what he vowed to make it.

Chris

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Re: Suggestion for new board

Postby Gengulphus » December 19th, 2021, 9:46 am

csearle wrote:I think there may be room for a "Quotes" or "Great Quotes" board, maybe under "INTERESTS - CULTURE, LEISURE , FOOD AND NATURE". My reasoning is that there doesn't seem to be a place to collect them here.

One might reasonably argue that this is a bulletin board focusing on a community of individuals with a shared interest in personal finance and investment. There are however other boards unrelated to this core purpose that many find just as much part of the charm of this place, almost like the backdrop in a theatre.

If there had been such a board I would have hoped for a single thread per quotee (if you see what I mean) and have posted under JM Barrie:

The life of every man is a diary in which he means to write one story, and writes another; and his humblest hour is when he compares the volume as it is with what he vowed to make it.

I can see the attraction, but how do you expect people to use the board?

One possibility is that essentially all posts are expected to contribute what the poster considers a great quote by the quotee, and little or no discussion of the merits of other contributions. That should result in the collection containing quite a high density of quotes by the quotee, so that it's useful for reference purposes. But I don't really see the point of such a board, because there are many quote reference sites out there that already do the job far more comprehensively than a TLF board will ever achieve - just do an internet search for "quotes by JM Barrie" to see what I mean.

Another is that the board encourages more comprehensive discussion of the quotes and their merits. That will inevitably make it less useful for reference purposes, due to having to wade through more posts per quote found - but more important, I think it tends to pre-empt the function of existing boards. For example, a discussion of quotes by JM Barrie can easily turn into a discussion of plays or books by JM Barrie - which would be at home on the "Music, Theatre, TV and Film" or "Books and Reading" board. Of course, if it was about quotes from both the plays and the books, the question of which of those two boards it belongs on would arise, but that's easily solved by picking one, and crossposting on the other.

Gengulphus

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 19th, 2021, 2:51 pm

Moderator Message:
Will keep an eye on this thread in case others join in, with enthusiastic support of the idea :)

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » December 19th, 2021, 3:30 pm

Clariman wrote:
Moderator Message:
Will keep an eye on this thread in case others join in, with enthusiastic support of the idea :)

I've put a few quotes on the Curiosity Board.

AiY

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » December 19th, 2021, 5:21 pm

Gengulphus wrote:...
Yes well as is so often the case with these sorts of these things you have thought it through far better than me. I agree as a reference there are far more comprehensive places to look. In a way that is their downfall though because they are so complete one might have trouble seeing the wood for the trees. Here, on the other hand, they would have to pass the hurdle of appealing to a Fool enough for him/her to bother posting it.

I also hadn't thought about the discussion aspect. The Lemon Fool is of course a forum for discussion so it would be a bit odd to forbid it. I agree though it would be irritating to have to search for actual quotes amid discussion-type posts.

Maybe it could work that the threads with the quotes in really are only for quotes and a single discussion thread is kept for discussion of any of the quotes?

It would have to be at the discretion of each poster as to whether the quote was worthy of inclusion.

How does that sound?

Chris
PS It could have an index like the Company News board maybe.

Return to “Suggestions to Improve the Site”