Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Crypto Currency board name

Constructive suggestions only please.
Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Re: Crypto Currency board name

Postby Bubblesofearth » February 9th, 2022, 1:39 pm

BobbyD wrote:That's not actually my quote, but the disagreement is! Like I said in my previous post I don't think this is resolvable because of the problems determining the 'true odds' and determining whether an individual is an expected outlier or a genuine out/underperformer, but here is why I disagree.

Firstly whilst I would like to use the mindset of the individual as a basis, it seems entirely natural, the problem is that in large part it becomes a matter of marking your own homework. An unskilled participant doesn't know enough to know whether they are gambling or investing. A bookish approach does not guarantee a more rigorous or logical approach. Somebody who believes seven times black eighth time red isn't investing, they are a gambler who has made an error in logic or calculation. A cardcounter on the otherhand I could accept as an investor. The difference isn't mindset, it is skill.

No, it's mindset. Successful card counters will have determined to what extent the odds are in their favour and will have adopted a strategy to exploit those odds. That is not gambling. They are not chasing returns that are unreasonable and are almost certainly going to have to spend significant time (given the likely small magnitude of favourable odds) making money. That's entirely an investing mindset. The other example (reds/blacks) is a gambling mindset, simply of someone who isn't a very good gambler! Unlike the card counter they cannot have evidence their strategy works and are chasing high returns in a short space of time.

The timespan definition also doesn't work for me. 6 years ago I made a long term bet on the shares of a company (Delphi now APTIV) which was showing some success in the development of Autonomous driving. It's an area where far too little information was publicly available to make a rational decision and any payout was always a minimum of 5-10 years down the line but what they had achieved wasn't nothing, I wanted the exposure and I liked the odds. It was however a total gamble.

If the shares formed only a small part of a diversified portfolio then it's investing. If you dumped all your capital into the share then it's gambling. It sounds to me like you were investing with an investors mindset. the time-scale also supports that.

By contrast when I was sat at a card table, virtual or real, I had an expectation of return, over the long term, which changed depending on the variant being being played, the stakes, the number of players and the location. In effect I had an hourly rate, and what I was investing was my time. It was a job. The paycheque may be advanced or delayed but it always arrived.

I think every decision carries an element of risk, and has potentially good and bad outcomes. Even 'doing nothing' and keeping all your wordly in savings accounts under the £85k FSCS compensation limit leaves you open to the risk that Sterling takes a tumble or goes through the roof, and since your living costs are significantly impacted by its buying power relative to USD this is in my book a gamble. Which is to say in my book everything is a gamble, and investing is a subset of gambling which when you look at it closely most people's definitions revolve primarily around social acceptability rather than any inherent property of the action.

These are just further examples of investment behaviour.

As an aside I'm not sure it's possible (in an empathic way) to really understand the gambling mindset unless you have been afflicted with it. From what I've read, and my own rather sad experiences, I think there may be quite a strong genetic element.

BoE

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » February 9th, 2022, 10:30 pm

Bubblesofearth wrote:No, it's mindset. Successful card counters will have determined to what extent the odds are in their favour and will have adopted a strategy to exploit those odds. That is not gambling. They are not chasing returns that are unreasonable and are almost certainly going to have to spend significant time (given the likely small magnitude of favourable odds) making money. That's entirely an investing mindset. The other example (reds/blacks) is a gambling mindset, simply of someone who isn't a very good gambler! Unlike the card counter they cannot have evidence their strategy works and are chasing high returns in a short space of time.

Everybody with a system thinks they've done the maths. The difference is card counters can count, which is a skill, and as a result have a model which works as well in the real world as it does on paper.

I'm not sure you can describe sitting around waiting for seven blacks in a row to be a quick route to anything, but you can absolutely have evidence and logical arguments which you believe support a nonsense scheme. The difference between you and a card counter in this situation is one of numeracy, the ability to assess evidence, and/or the ability to falsify logical argument, all of which are skills. You can every bit as much have a bookshelf full of notebooks full of calculations, observations and analysis supporting a theory which posits that the results on roulette tables follow a set sequence which can be determined by in depth study of π, as you can on a theory that a blackjack shoe stuffed with high cards is in the player's favour. The difference isn't bookishness, it's competence which in this case consists of the aforementioned skills of numeracy, analysis of evidence and logical ability.

Bubblesofearth wrote:As an aside I'm not sure it's possible (in an empathic way) to really understand the gambling mindset unless you have been afflicted with it. From what I've read, and my own rather sad experiences, I think there may be quite a strong genetic element.

It's been a long time since I was in the literature but I would consider that likely based on mooted neuropharmacological connections between high risk behaviour such as extreme sports, addiction, and depression, and the contribution of genetic factors to depression. But like I said it's been a long time.

I think the 'gambling mindset' might be as hard to pin down as 'gambling'. If you mean compulsion, adrenaline chasing or emotional mesochism then we are talking slightly at cross purposes, my definition isn't that limited, but it would make perfect sense within your own definition of gambling.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » February 10th, 2022, 11:51 am

Returning to the original topic of the board name, rather than debating the definition of gambling versus investing, the Mods are in support of a name change to "Crypto and NFTs" which removes the debate about whether it is investing, trading, or gambling, while extending the discussion to other new forms of 'virtual' investing.

Clariman

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » February 10th, 2022, 5:36 pm

BobbyD wrote:
I think the 'gambling mindset' might be as hard to pin down as 'gambling'. If you mean compulsion, adrenaline chasing or emotional mesochism then we are talking slightly at cross purposes, my definition isn't that limited, but it would make perfect sense within your own definition of gambling.

It is exactly this failure of common definitions that is one of the greatestest obstacle to intelligent conversation. If terms like gambling and investing bleed together then there is little point in even having the two separate terms in a discussion. Each is put through the prism of the individual and talking at cross purposes becomes inevitable.

BoE

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » February 10th, 2022, 5:53 pm

Bubblesofearth wrote:
BobbyD wrote:

It is exactly this failure of common definitions that is one of the greatestest obstacle to intelligent conversation. If terms like gambling and investing bleed together then there is little point in even having the two separate terms in a discussion. Each is put through the prism of the individual and talking at cross purposes becomes inevitable.

BoE

Moderator Message:
Could we call a halt to the off topic discussion on the definitions of gambling versus investment please. Interesting though they are, they are off topic for this thread and this board. Any further posts regarding this will be removed. Clariman

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » February 11th, 2022, 9:12 pm

Clariman wrote:Returning to the original topic of the board name, rather than debating the definition of gambling versus investing, the Mods are in support of a name change to "Crypto and NFTs" which removes the debate about whether it is investing, trading, or gambling, while extending the discussion to other new forms of 'virtual' investing.

Clariman

Board name has now changed as per above suggestion.

Return to “Suggestions to Improve the Site”