Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Giving it away

Constructive suggestions only please.
PhaseThree

Giving it away

Postby PhaseThree » March 1st, 2022, 7:14 pm

I'm sure I must be missing something - Is there really no dedicated board here to discuss charitable giving ?
Is this place all about accumulation ? What about the less fortunate (Thinking Ukraine at the moment).

Time for a new board methinks.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Giving it away

Postby Lootman » March 1st, 2022, 7:19 pm

PhaseThree wrote:I'm sure I must be missing something - Is there really no dedicated board here to discuss charitable giving ?
Is this place all about accumulation ? What about the less fortunate (Thinking Ukraine at the moment).

I wonder whether charitable giving is too personal and subjective a topic to gain real traction? After all we each have our own favourite charities for often very personal reasons, so what is to discuss? Plus of course we are all bombarded with requests for donations or to "sponsor" someone to perform this act or that.

Gift-Aid does get discussed on the tax board from time to time, and the IHT benefits of charitable bequests have also been discussed there.

What kind of discussions do you think are missing?

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » March 1st, 2022, 7:35 pm

PhaseThree wrote:I'm sure I must be missing something - Is there really no dedicated board here to discuss charitable giving ?

Time for a new board methinks.

I am supportive of the idea if there is demand, but take Lootman's point that charitable giving may be a personal thing.

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » March 1st, 2022, 7:42 pm

Lootman wrote:What kind of discussions do you think are missing?

I was about to post a generic question regarding the best place for donations to support Ukrainian refugees. I was very surprised that there wasn't a dedicated board.

It's coming towards the end of the financial year - I would guess a fair few of us are looking to divert funds away from HMRC. I'm sure we all have our own views on what constitutes a "worthy cause". Some discussion and analysis would be worthwhile/appreciated

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 1st, 2022, 7:47 pm

PhaseThree wrote:I was about to post a generic question regarding the best place for donations to support Ukrainian refugees. I was very surprised that there wasn't a dedicated board.

It's been asked on the Ukraine thread, with a few answers given viewtopic.php?p=483604#p483583

Scott.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 1st, 2022, 7:48 pm

PhaseThree wrote:

I was about to post a generic question regarding the best place for donations to support Ukrainian refugees. I was very surprised that there wasn't a dedicated board.

It's coming towards the end of the financial year - I would guess a fair few of us are looking to divert funds away from HMRC. I'm sure we all have our own views on what constitutes a "worthy cause". Some discussion and analysis would be worthwhile/appreciated

Fair point and it is a noble intention. My worry would be that it would lead to "my charity is better than your charity" type discussions.

Or that it would devolve into political issues. If I posted that my favourite charity was ZFUK (a UK-registered pro-Zionist charity) then I suspect the discussion would rapidly devolve into a political debate.

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » March 1st, 2022, 8:18 pm

swill453 wrote:
PhaseThree wrote:I was about to post a generic question regarding the best place for donations to support Ukrainian refugees. I was very surprised that there wasn't a dedicated board.

It's been asked on the Ukraine thread, with a few answers given viewtopic.php?p=483604#p483583

Scott.

Adding to my suggestion for a new board - Like many here I avoid the "News and current affairs" board a.k.a. the "my opinion is better than yours" board or whatever it has currently been renamed to this week. I would never have seen these posts without a pointer.

With multiple boards dedicated to making money for the individual, one dedicated to giving money to improve society doesn't seem like a big request.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » March 1st, 2022, 9:15 pm

PhaseThree wrote:

I have been approached by a number of charities, including the Salvation Army and Shelter Box, for donations to support their work with refugees from the Ukraine conflict. The Salvation Army is also working with refugees fleeing eastward into Russia. There was also a double page spread in today's Daily Telegraph about the centralised appeal.

From what I have seen, the Salvation Army are often the first on the scene and probably do more good work than the rest put together.

TJHG

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 1st, 2022, 10:54 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
PhaseThree wrote:

I have been approached by a number of charities, including the Salvation Army and Shelter Box, for donations to support their work with refugees from the Ukraine conflict. The Salvation Army is also working with refugees fleeing eastward into Russia. There was also a double page spread in today's Daily Telegraph about the centralised appeal.

From what I have seen, the Salvation Army are often the first on the scene and probably do more good work than the rest put together.

TJHG

I am inclined to agree about the Salvation Army, although I am happy to support the British Red Cross as well. These two charities have been able to avoid the terrible press that some have been getting in these last few years. I am mulling over where to give some money for the Ukraine crisis.

I am happy to support the idea of a ‘Charitable giving’ Board which could cover charitable legacies in one’s Will, more immediate giving like now, and the merits of different charities. There are plenty (some would say too many) charities put there.

Dod

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 2nd, 2022, 8:48 am

Lootman wrote:I wonder whether charitable giving is too personal and subjective a topic to gain real traction? After all we each have our own favourite charities for often very personal reasons, so what is to discuss? Plus of course we are all bombarded with requests for donations or to "sponsor" someone to perform this act or that.quote]

I am broadly in agreement with Lootman, however I was very surprised to read this.....

tjh290633 wrote:I have been approached by a number of charities, including the Salvation Army and Shelter Box, for donations to support their work with refugees from the Ukraine conflict. The Salvation Army is also working with refugees fleeing eastward into Russia. There was also a double page spread in today's Daily Telegraph about the centralised appeal.

I knew about Red Cross and Shelterbox (as we support both on occasion) but I always regarded the Sally Army as helping UK homless and associate them with Xmas dinner.

On balance I don't think it would influence our giving very much, if at all. We give certain amounts, often to local causes that get limited funding where a few hundred quid makes a bigger difference to their success.

But I do think a thread on Charities on one of the boards would be a good thing.

Paul

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » March 2nd, 2022, 9:50 am

A new board called "Charitable Giving" will appear within the Lemon-Aid group shortly.

Clariman

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » March 2nd, 2022, 10:11 am

DrFfybes wrote:I knew about Red Cross and Shelterbox (as we support both on occasion) but I always regarded the Sally Army as helping UK homless and associate them with Xmas dinner.

On balance I don't think it would influence our giving very much, if at all. We give certain amounts, often to local causes that get limited funding where a few hundred quid makes a bigger difference to their success.

But I do think a thread on Charities on one of the boards would be a good thing.

Paul

I had that impression of the Salvation Army until I was having dinner in a restaurant in Lima, Peru in 1971. A pair of Hermanos of the local branch of the Salvation Army came in and sold us copies of El Grito de Guerra (War Cry) printed in Chile. They spread far and wide.

TJH

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » March 2nd, 2022, 10:34 am

Moderator Message:
The new 'Charitable Giving' board has been created here and is live viewforum.php?f=108 . This topic here will be closed, given that the suggestion has been accepted and implemented.

Return to “Suggestions to Improve the Site”