Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

HYP Vs TJH

Constructive suggestions only please.
CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

HYP Vs TJH

Postby CliffEdge » July 17th, 2022, 2:38 pm

Why does this site set so much store on the pyad HYP to the extent that it has a board of its own? However it seems to me to have many risks and it's not clear to me how I would choose an HYP now, today.

However there seems to be a superb investment methodology for income, invented by TJH and proved to work well over the past 30 odd years? But any information on that method seems to be spread all over the place and hard to track down. Why doesn't the TJH method have its own board?

AWOL
Lemon Slice

Re: HYP Vs TJH

Postby AWOL » July 17th, 2022, 3:14 pm

Should this not be in the Suggestions to Improve the Site subforum rather than under How Do I Invest?

I haven't followed the TJH investing approach so couldn't comment on that? Has it outperformed the MSCI World over the period or does it have superior risk adjusted returns?

I think the reason HYP has it's own subforum is that it has a lot of followers and that is largely a consequence of PYADs work on TMF and the popularity of the HYP methodology there. I even dabbled with the approach myself in the early days but abandoned it shortly before a market correction during which I don't think HYP did well but my memory may be wrong and I don't want to offend anyone either way as HYPers are very fond of the methodology. To me the main advantage of HYP, in a similar way to all dividend investing methodologies, is that people buy into the approach and follow it. I think it's good advice to any investor to find a methodology that you believe in and can consequently stick to. This will yield better results than blowing with the wind and trying to follow the tide.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » July 17th, 2022, 5:48 pm

CliffEdge wrote:Why does this site set so much store on the pyad HYP to the extent that it has a board of its own? However it seems to me to have many risks and it's not clear to me how I would choose an HYP now, today.

However there seems to be a superb investment methodology for income, invented by TJH and proved to work well over the past 30 odd years? But any information on that method seems to be spread all over the place and hard to track down. Why doesn't the TJH method have its own board?

There is a simple reason. When Motley Fool (TMF) closed it's discussion boards, this site was set up to replace them, and the two High Yield boards were set up to continue what existed there.

I did not invent the HYP concept, that was purely PYAD's baby. The original posts can, I believe, be found archived on the Wayback site and links to them should be found in the early pages of the HYP Practical board. When I first discovered TMF, I realized that my own methods of choosing shares was fairly close to those of the HYP. Not exactly, as I included the odd share in which I was interested, like Hanson or Pilkington, and shares which I had inherited, like ICI and Marks & Spencer.

As time went by I devised my own method of deciding where to reinvest accumulated dividends, which became embodied in the HYPTUSS by Kiloran. That is really my sole contribution to HYP investing. I should also add that I was influenced by the Beat the Footsie method, based on the FT30 constituents. I used that process to some extent when I started an ISA to run parallel with my PEP, in 1999 when the two could not be merged.

I have made a practice, as have others, of reporting my activity and portfolio performance on the HYP boards, as appropriate.

There is a lot of back history on those boards, but the structure may not lend itself to a fully chronological study. You might find some of the topics by Breelander give you some insight.

TJH

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 17th, 2022, 9:51 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
As time went by I devised my own method of deciding where to reinvest accumulated dividends, which became embodied in the HYPTUSS by Kiloran Itsallaguess.

TJH

Text corrected. Credit where credit's due

--kiloran

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » July 17th, 2022, 10:19 pm

What is the HTPYUSS?

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 17th, 2022, 10:28 pm