Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Slow response

Constructive suggestions only please.
Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Slow response

Postby Mike4 » May 14th, 2023, 8:36 pm

stooz wrote:Thanks for the link I will take a look at them.
Just to mentioned the software needs upgrading regardless of host and to the point that a new supplier won't take us at the level is at (unsupported versions)
Moving host is quiet more outage and pain. But definitely a route we may have to take .

Please bare with us.

Not necessarily. Nethosted are more expensive than TSO but trivially so. Point is though, both TSO and Nethosted use cPanel which meant Nethosted were able to migrate me to them from TSO without me lifting a finger, and leaving my domain hosting at TSO. ISTR all I had to do was log into cPanel at TSO and change where my nameservers pointed to. Or something like that. But whatever it was, the bod on the fone at Nethosted told me what to do and it was simple.

Never looked back.

mark88man
2 Lemon pips

Postby mark88man » May 14th, 2023, 8:43 pm

@stooz if you are looking we use eUKhost for our web endeavour - good support from taking over to helping with email issues related to a complex wordpress issue

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 14th, 2023, 9:42 pm

mark88man wrote:@stooz if you are looking we use eUKhost for our web endeavour - good support from taking over to helping with email issues related to a complex wordpress issue

In my experience all wordpress issues are complex, lol!

But if they offer WP support this beats Nethosted. They might but frankly I wouldn't expect them to, or expect any web host to offer WP support.

Thing is, any new firm on the block will offer low prices and high standards of support. As time goes by and the user base grows and the office staff doesn't, the standard of service degrades. Exactly this happened with TSO. I joined them when they were a small local startup in (I think) Maidenhead and they were GREAT initially, and slowly the support degraded until I lost patience with them over a trivial issue their staff simply could not grasp. So I moved Nethosted who were recommended to me (possibly on here). Eventually they will prolly degrade too but so far, it hasn't happened.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » May 14th, 2023, 10:55 pm

stooz wrote:Thanks for the link I will take a look at them.
Just to mentioned the software needs upgrading regardless of host and to the point that a new supplier won't take us at the level is at (unsupported versions)
Moving host is quiet more outage and pain. But definitely a route we may have to take .

Please bare with us.

Well if you're looking for recommendations, I moved from T**S*O**HOST to HostPresto and, similarly, haven't looked back. ;) I took a cPanel plan and they migrated my sites for me, so pain and outage was minimal. What's more you can try out their setup for a mere £1. Don't remember the restrictions but it didn't affect me checking it out.

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » May 16th, 2023, 5:32 pm

Some great recommendations. Thanks everyone. If they migrate for me, even better!

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 3rd, 2023, 10:45 am

A little investigation this morning suggests that the (very) slow response may not be lemonfool itself, but a site "consent.cookiefirst.com" that gets called in the course of a lemonfool request.

I fixed it locally a few weeks ago by diverting "consent.cookiefirst.com" in /etc/hosts so the request wouldn't happen. That fixed it on Linux, but the same fix didn't have the desired effect on Mac. Today it seems to have been fixed, as removing my /etc/hosts entry didn't cause long delays anew.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 8th, 2023, 10:14 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:A little investigation this morning suggests that the (very) slow response may not be lemonfool itself, but a site "consent.cookiefirst.com" that gets called in the course of a lemonfool request.

I fixed it locally a few weeks ago by diverting "consent.cookiefirst.com" in /etc/hosts so the request wouldn't happen. That fixed it on Linux, but the same fix didn't have the desired effect on Mac. Today it seems to have been fixed, as removing my /etc/hosts entry didn't cause long delays anew.

Just to add to that, the problem (so slow as to time out) recurred yesterday evening, and again the browser was waiting for "consent.cookiefirst.com".

Return to “Suggestions to Improve the Site”