Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Adblock problem.

Constructive suggestions only please.
Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Adblock problem.

Postby Lootman » August 25th, 2023, 12:21 pm

jaizan wrote:
Lootman wrote:Yes it would appear that you can avoid ads by simply declining consent.

Thanks for the inspiration. I just cleared the site cookies. Then it asked me for consent which I declined. Then I logged in & the pop up problem has gone away for now.

Yes, I deleted all cookies and the consent form appeared again. Declined again; no ads, no other problems.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » August 26th, 2023, 8:47 pm

What I have unfortunately recently noticed over the last few weeks has been an incredible amount of spam, mostly coming from the UK, but I'm in the US and hardly ever received junk spam from the UK. Any possible connection to the problems you have been having?

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » August 27th, 2023, 2:57 pm

You mean emails? Completely unrelated

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » August 27th, 2023, 8:51 pm

Mike4 wrote:It gets worse.

Suddenly the irritating pop-up (which I still got despite adding TLF to the AdBlock 'allow' list) was replaced with this:

I can usually get rid of this message by deleting all my cookies, but why doesn't it say so, I always wonder.

Or maybe my cookie jar filled up to the top just now by coincidence.

From another source

“Updated Chrome today, and was immediately given a prompt about how my browsing preferences would be directly used to feed me ads.

Chrome auto-enabled a feature that sends sites info to send me personalized ads based on browsing history, the ability for sites to determine what I like and update the ads as I browse, and the ability for sites to measure ad effectiveness.

These are built-in features of the browser now.

STOP USING CHROME”

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 27th, 2023, 9:06 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:
Mike4 wrote:It gets worse.

Suddenly the irritating pop-up (which I still got despite adding TLF to the AdBlock 'allow' list) was replaced with this:

<image deleted for space reasons>

I can usually get rid of this message by deleting all my cookies, but why doesn't it say so, I always wonder.

Or maybe my cookie jar filled up to the top just now by coincidence.

From another source

“Updated Chrome today, and was immediately given a prompt about how my browsing preferences would be directly used to feed me ads.

Chrome auto-enabled a feature that sends sites info to send me personalized ads based on browsing history, the ability for sites to determine what I like and update the ads as I browse, and the ability for sites to measure ad effectiveness.

These are built-in features of the browser now.

STOP USING CHROME”

Thank you kindly for this. Seems to be broadly irrelevant as I use AdBlock, and TLF seems incapable of serving ads even though I have Adblock turned OFF for TLF. So I never see ads anyway.

However given the business philosophy of Chrome I'm inclined still to stop using it as you suggest. What browser do you recommend for an Apple user?

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » August 28th, 2023, 4:27 pm

Mike4 wrote:
Thank you kindly for this. Seems to be broadly irrelevant as I use AdBlock, and TLF seems incapable of serving ads even though I have Adblock turned OFF for TLF. So I never see ads anyway.

However given the business philosophy of Chrome I'm inclined still to stop using it as you suggest. What browser do you recommend for an Apple user?

Depends what lengths you want to go to for your privacy. Tor is available, but I use any of Safari, Firefox or DuckDuckGo (yes, there is a specific DDG browser). DDG seems to be based on FF, but has a few nice tricks - particularly the prominent flame icon, which gets rid of all cookies, trackers &c). With FF, you used to be able to ask it to selectively clear cookies based on a time interval - e.g. last x hours, last day etc - but this seems to have disappeared. But choice of browser is not the main issue, it’s what you do in the settings that matter - e.g. for FF, setting up DNS over HTTPS and using a decent choice of host for that. Take a look here https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-en ... in-firefox . It’s a couple of years old, and the menu system described for navigating to the DNS setting now (last time I looked) has moved… just type DNS into the menu’s search box to get there. I’ll pm you.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » August 28th, 2023, 4:57 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

Depends what lengths you want to go to for your privacy. Tor is available, but I use any of Safari, Firefox or DuckDuckGo (yes, there is a specific DDG browser). DDG seems to be based on FF, but has a few nice tricks - particularly the prominent flame icon, which gets rid of all cookies, trackers &c). With FF, you used to be able to ask it to selectively clear cookies based on a time interval - e.g. last x hours, last day etc - but this seems to have disappeared. But choice of browser is not the main issue, it’s what you do in the settings that matter - e.g. for FF, setting up DNS over HTTPS and using a decent choice of host for that. Take a look here https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-en ... in-firefox . It’s a couple of years old, and the menu system described for navigating to the DNS setting now (last time I looked) has moved… just type DNS into the menu’s search box to get there. I’ll pm you.

Oops. the remarks re DNS on FF do not work on an Apple device… Apple have basically crippled FF for their users. I still use it on my iPad mind. It’s on my other devices that I’ve changed the settings.

Return to “Suggestions to Improve the Site”