Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Is the 'new member' process working - Stooz to check?

Constructive suggestions only please.
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Is the 'new member' process working - Stooz to check?

Postby Itsallaguess » September 24th, 2023, 7:09 am

Just a quick note to Stooz, and if one of the moderators could please bring this thread to his attention that would also be appreciated -

Looking at the Lemon Fool membership list, no new member has successfully joined the site since August 20th -

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/memberlist.php?mode=&sk=c&sd=d#memberlist

As that was around the time that the site was upgraded, then the lack of new members since then, given the fairly regular drum-beat of new members prior to that site-upgrade that can be seen on the above link, might be seen as a symptom of a current live issue with the new-membership process.

Given the above, I think it will be worth Stooz walking through the end-to-end membership process as a 'new user', perhaps using an alternative email address to his usual Lemon Fool account, and just making sure that the new-membership process is currently working, because it would be a real shame if potential new users are currently being locked out of the site...

As an aside, it would also be worth testing and re-confirming any 'contact the site' email processes as well, both on the 'receiving' side of things and any 'reply delivery' side as well, because I would like to think that at least some of the potential new users that have not been able to join since August 20th might have also then gone through a 'contact the site' process due to these potential enrolment issues, and so those secondary and alternative contact processes probably also need checking and confirming, end-to-end, if they're still working for external users, given that it certainly looks like there's still a live issue with the new-user enrolment process...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Re: Is the 'new member' process working - Stooz to check?

Postby csearle » September 24th, 2023, 7:39 am

I've raised it. C.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 24th, 2023, 7:42 am

Not quite sure why you (of all people!) think this is a Suggestions to Improve the Site matter rather than a Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat one but if you look in that board you'll find a thread from the 22nd of August titled Emailed notifications broken which includes a post that says:

mc2fool wrote:I assume that, like the last two times this happened (viewtopic.php?p=246129#p246129 & viewtopic.php?p=354789#p354789), the issue is a general problem emailing out from the site and affects not only the various notification options but also the activation emails that get sent to new signups to verify their email address and activate their account on registration.

Indeed, there haven't been any new members since 9am on August 20th ... memberlist.php?mode=&sk=c&sd=d#memberlist

As well as starting that thread I also emailed Stooz about it on the 23rd of August (no reply). I can only assume that the site owners think the current lot are more than enough to handle! :D

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 24th, 2023, 7:45 am

csearle wrote:
I've raised it. C.

Thanks Chris.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » September 24th, 2023, 2:32 pm

Thanks all I am investigating.. I didn't get my notification either...

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » October 2nd, 2023, 8:23 am

Still not working? Or are old attempts to register now null & void and new ones necessary?

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 2nd, 2023, 12:36 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:Still not working? Or are old attempts to register now null & void and new ones necessary?

Well I'm still not getting email notifications, and there's still been no new members since August 20th, so I think it's fair to assume that there are still no emails going out from the site, including activation emails that get sent to new signups.

I don't know how long the links in the activation emails that a new signup has to click on to complete the registration process are valid for, but even if they're valid forever unless they actually get the email they can't follow them.

So, unless they've all been stored up and once the problem is fixed a flood of all outgoing emails since 20-Aug get sent out (I hope not!), any attempted new signups since then will have to wait until the issue is fixed and then reapply in order to get their activation email.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » October 2nd, 2023, 3:59 pm

Stooz is going to start work on backing out the security changes imminently.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » October 7th, 2023, 1:02 pm

“that username is already taken” - no matter what silly/improbable/enormously long name is tried.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » October 16th, 2023, 3:13 pm

Your account has been created. However, this board requires account activation. An activation key has been sent to the email address you provided. Please check your email for further information and also be sure to check your junk mail box. It may take a while to get the email depending on your email provider….

seem to be back to square 1.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » October 16th, 2023, 3:55 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:Your account has been created. However, this board requires account activation. An activation key has been sent to the email address you provided. Please check your email for further information and also be sure to check your junk mail box. It may take a while to get the email depending on your email provider….

Checked the junk folder? It might be in there.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 16th, 2023, 5:54 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:Your account has been created. However, this board requires account activation. An activation key has been sent to the email address you provided. Please check your email for further information and also be sure to check your junk mail box. It may take a while to get the email depending on your email provider….

Yippee! I just got a someone-quoted-you notification email from TLF, and it looks from the members list that things are working again as of about 17:30, so give it another try now. ;)

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » October 16th, 2023, 7:53 pm

No email yet.

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » October 18th, 2023, 12:07 pm

There's an option to get it re-sent. I have had this tested, and it now works. Try again, and report back!

MDW1954

hairgoneJohn

Postby hairgoneJohn » October 18th, 2023, 3:43 pm

Hi

I've been waiting to join for a while but the activation email didn't arrive.

Today I asked for the activation email again and got it!

Thanks

doolally
Lemon Slice

Postby doolally » October 18th, 2023, 3:46 pm

hairgoneJohn wrote:Hi

I've been waiting to join for a while but the activation email didn't arrive.

Today I asked for the activation email again and got it!

Thanks

Welcome aboard!
doolally

Return to “Suggestions to Improve the Site”