Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Blocking a Particular Board[s]

Constructive suggestions only please.
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Blocking a Particular Board[s]

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 11th, 2023, 8:28 am

Hi stooz, Clariman, Moderators & Fools,

I think I know the answer to this question and such statement from the outset doesn't get me off on a good footing. Bracing myself for some stern feedback accordingly :lol: Just kidding :oops:

Is it possible to block a board?

I'm thinking we have the option to filter other posters by suing the FOE option. Does the same exist for boards?

Alternatively may I ask if you think it is worth considering a pinned post (not sure where) which "perhaps" could demonstrate methods which would just show boards individuals want to follow? I vaguely recall seeing such information but can't recall where (sorry).

Thank you for your time, which, as ever, is greatly appreciated

Take care

Before I go can I just say "have a great day" :lol:

AiY(D)

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Blocking a Particular Board[s]

Postby DrFfybes » October 11th, 2023, 8:50 am

Hi AiY,

Apart from the technical issues, the problem with this is somethimes someone puts something interesting on the wrong board, or it develops, and gets moved.

Personally I just look at New Posts by default (my TLF shortcut takes me to the New Posts page) and then I scan down to see if there's anything interesting,

Paul

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » October 11th, 2023, 9:05 am

New posts will show you all the unwanted chatter on all boards even those AiY doesn't want to see, it is easy enough to check where a post has landed but using New it's also easy to overlook and be drawn into a discussion about geranium prorogation or the development of philosophical themes in Birmingham Hip Hop culture.

I use Notifications and User Control Panel to manage subscriptions then Notifications only show new posts by boards you're interested in. I guess one could pick all the boards and remove those you don't want to see.

I had to relearn how I did that. On a board you want to get notifications from - like new posts have been made - find the little spanner at the top f the list of posts and select subscribe to topic from the drop down.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 11th, 2023, 9:22 am

kempiejon wrote:I use Notifications and User Control Panel to manage subscriptions then Notifications only show new posts by boards you're interested in. I guess one could pick all the boards and remove those you don't want to see.

I had to relearn how I did that. On a board you want to get notifications from - like new posts have been made - find the little spanner at the top f the list of posts and select subscribe to topic from the drop down.

You're thinking of subscribing to topics, not boards (forums). There is no little spanner at the top of the list of posts in a board, instead you have to scroll to the bottom of the page where, at the left of the blue backgrounded line, you can click on Subscribe Forum.

You don't have to use notifications (which can get a bit cluttered with a busy board), instead you can go to and bookmark Manage subscriptions at ucp.php?i=ucp_main&mode=subscribed and just go there whenever you want to see which of your subscribed boards has new posts in it.

Notification options can be controlled from the User Control Panel -> Board Preferences at ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications&mode=notification_options

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » October 11th, 2023, 9:30 am

mc2fool wrote:You're thinking of subscribing to topics

So I am - your description is probably more useful to AiY too.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » October 11th, 2023, 11:56 am

The simple answer is not to visit boards/forums which you don't like, or in which you have no interest.

I look at the boards which interest me, then look in Unread Posts to see if anything catches my fancy. Having done that I mark all posts read. I perhaps look at a third of those unread posts.

TJH

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » October 11th, 2023, 12:27 pm

tjh290633 wrote:The simple answer is not to visit boards/forums which you don't like, or in which you have no interest.

You'd think that was easy enough. I think we've had this sort of question asked often enough that it is difficult for some. As mc2fool suggested there is a solution. I did start to use the foe button a while ago but I abandoned that as I do not want an echo chamber. I prefer to not visit the boards/topics where noise lives then you get the advantage of everyone's opinions on other subjects that your are interested in interacting with.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » October 11th, 2023, 4:38 pm

We used to have Polite Discussions, which was opt-in. This seemed to me to be almost the perfect solution. Then during a small epileptic site-fit it was changed to CAN and the opt-in bit was removed.

Just to play devil's advocate, a post (usually overtly political) moved to boards within the opt-in part would be unavailable to the poster if they hadn't opted-in This annoyed one particular Fool (but then many things did).

C.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 11th, 2023, 4:45 pm

csearle wrote:We used to have Polite Discussions, which was opt-in. This seemed to me to be almost the perfect solution. Then during a small epileptic site-fit it was changed to CAN and the opt-in bit was removed.

An analogy for that would be that PD was behind a locked door, with the key available on request.

The current situation for CAN is that it, and indeed any other board, is behind an unlocked door. No restrictions on access, but you don't have to go in if you don't want to.

I don't see a massive difference, to be honest.

(Stretching the analogy a bit, there are routes into the various rooms that don't have nameplates on them. Windows maybe? But nobody needs to use those routes.)

Scott.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 11th, 2023, 5:11 pm

swill453 wrote:
csearle wrote:We used to have Polite Discussions, which was opt-in. This seemed to me to be almost the perfect solution. Then during a small epileptic site-fit it was changed to CAN and the opt-in bit was removed.

An analogy for that would be that PD was behind a locked door, with the key available on request.

The current situation for CAN is that it, and indeed any other board, is behind an unlocked door. No restrictions on access, but you don't have to go in if you don't want to.

I don't see a massive difference, to be honest.

It can make a difference in some cases.

A certain Lemon, who was one of the most disruptive Lemons on CAN before he left or was banned, never posted on PD because of the opt-in. He even claimed at one point to be "not interested in politics". But as soon as CAN replaced PD and no opt-in as needed, he started posting, a lot and not constructively.

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » October 16th, 2023, 9:55 am

kempiejon wrote:New posts will show you all the unwanted chatter on all boards even those AiY doesn't want to see, it is easy enough to check where a post has landed but using New it's also easy to overlook and be drawn into a discussion about geranium prorogation or the development of philosophical themes in Birmingham Hip Hop culture.....

That seems like a benefit to me. A question of outlook of course.

I wonder if one would meet Boris Johnson on the geranium prorogation discussion!

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 14th, 2023, 11:00 am

Just to play devil's advocate, a post (usually overtly political) moved to boards within the opt-in part would be unavailable to the poster if they hadn't opted-in This annoyed one particular Fool (but then many things did).

Right.

But then, that is as nothing compared to how "annoyed" some TLF Mods can get. No?

How can I avoid irritating threads such as this one, in future? Answers on a postcard please...

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » November 14th, 2023, 6:45 pm

XFool wrote:How can I avoid irritating threads such as this one, in future? Answers on a postcard please...

You are not obliged to read them. One look should be enough to tell you that you don't wish to read it. Avoid it after that.

TJH

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » November 14th, 2023, 7:20 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
XFool wrote:How can I avoid irritating threads such as this one, in future? Answers on a postcard please...

You are not obliged to read them. One look should be enough to tell you that you don't wish to read it. Avoid it after that.

TJH

It would be easier to avoid reading particular topics, if it was clear from the title what the topic was actually about. Unfortunately people often post cryptic titles, like "What again?", leaving no clue as to the topic (subject matter). So I just ignore those too.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 14th, 2023, 7:21 pm

tjh290633 wrote:

Rhetorical...

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » November 14th, 2023, 8:08 pm

XFool wrote: But then, that is as nothing compared to how "annoyed" some TLF Mods can get. No?
I imagine this is an allusion to your attributing some comment, made by another, to me then publicly mocking me for having said it. My private response when you didn't have the common decency to even admit fault, in which I IMO correctly identified the true nature of your character, was the least you could expect. C.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 15th, 2023, 10:27 am

csearle wrote:
XFool wrote: But then, that is as nothing compared to how "annoyed" some TLF Mods can get. No?
I imagine this is an allusion to your attributing some comment, made by another, to me then publicly mocking me for having said it. My private response when you didn't have the common decency to even admit fault, in which I IMO correctly identified the true nature of your character, was the least you could expect. C.

As usual on TLF, it's one rule for 'Them' and another rule for 'Us'. Do you see it now? (Just above)

Of course you don't - That's the point!

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » November 15th, 2023, 4:33 pm

Moderator Message:
The discussion has veered off-topic. Please do not continue the personal debate, either on this thread or elsewhere. (chas49)

Return to “Suggestions to Improve the Site”