Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Disappearing threads & posts

Constructive suggestions only please.
Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Disappearing threads & posts

Postby Urbandreamer » November 13th, 2023, 6:05 pm

Would it be possible to let contributors know when a thread or post is removed.

A bit of background. A thread was started recently by a new user, who didn't check the thread after posting for at least a day. Though they did go online about a week later The OP was poorly worded if it was, as it purported to be, asking for advice. To be blunt I personally suspect that it may have been posted by a troll.

A number of TLF responded attempting to provide what they thought was useful advice. The entire thread seems to be gone.

Another thread on the same board had a post added by a new user about a week later asking why XYZ. Sorry I didn't check if the date related to the first user's last access. I responded.

My response and their post have been removed. I doubt that this is because the Mods thought that I was at fault. However it would be nice to know that the response was removed. FWIW, as it was a response I'm not complaining that others have lost the benefit of my thoughts.

To be fair I found out by trying to research if these new users were active or simply trolls.

Just in case TLF is overwhelmed with moderates, each with a remit, it was the crypto board.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Re: Disappearing threads & posts

Postby GoSeigen » November 14th, 2023, 6:55 am

This has been asked many many times and the answer has always been no. I doubt that will change without some serious campaigning or negotiation.

GS

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » November 14th, 2023, 8:28 am

I just had a look on the Crypto board and found only two deleted threads. Both had a single post. Both of those posts were considered to be spam by two different moderators. Maybe the site admins can see more? C.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » November 14th, 2023, 9:09 am

Forgive me.

I've found the thread that I thought removed. It was entirely crypto related, but on the wrong board.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 14th, 2023, 9:16 am

GoSeigen wrote:This has been asked many many times and the answer has always been no. I doubt that will change without some serious campaigning or negotiation.

GS

I would imagine either there is no automated method of notifying posters of a deletion of a post of theirs, or notifying generates a plethora of communications/complaints/comments about the deletion that mod inboxes get overwhelmed.

Would be interesting to discover the actual reasoning behind the lack of notifications.

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » November 14th, 2023, 2:39 pm

If posts or threads get deleted on here, it's hardly the end of the world.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » November 14th, 2023, 7:32 pm

I see deleting posts as the last resort. Whether I take the effort to PM the affected poster will depend upon a some things: usually not if there has already been a warning that certain posts will be deleted without further warning or if the reason for the deletion is blatantly obvious or it's deemed to be spam. C.

Return to “Suggestions to Improve the Site”