Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Image Source Embedded - Click on Image to Go to Source

Constructive suggestions only please.
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Image Source Embedded - Click on Image to Go to Source

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 13th, 2023, 6:13 pm

Please look at the image below. When we use images on TLF we are required to leave a URL address of the site that hosts the image.

The URL for the image is https://x.com/CarlBovisNature/status/17 ... 69687?s=20

If you move your mouse pointer to hover over the image and click on the image it will take you to the source page. Are we good to use this approach please?

Thank you

AiY(D)

88V8
Lemon Half

Re: Image Source Embedded - Click on Image to Go to Source

Postby 88V8 » November 13th, 2023, 7:45 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:If you move your mouse pointer to hover over the image and click on the image it will take you to the source page. Are we good to use this approach please?

Personally, yes, although a bare post of <image> as one sometimes sees, does not necessarily tempt.

V8

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » November 13th, 2023, 9:29 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Are we good to use this approach please?
Not as the rules stand at the moment.

The rules say...
All embedded images (including data and graphs) in posts must:-
Include an additional link (URL) to a web page where the original may be viewed in context, or (where the image is hosted on either a domain owned or controlled by the poster, or a hosting site account e.g. Imgur, Picasa, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive) be followed by a statement that the poster owns (or is legally permitted to post) the content of the image.
So the question really is: could the rules be amended to remove the requirement to include an additional link.

Chris

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » November 13th, 2023, 11:14 pm

I have noticed that on the picture of the day thread this rule seems to be universally violated.

I think that if we went through and deleted all the posts there that don't comply we would be very unpopular. There would be almost no posts left!

C.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 14th, 2023, 12:15 am

csearle wrote:I have noticed that on the picture of the day thread this rule seems to be universally violated.

I think that if we went through and deleted all the posts there that don't comply we would be very unpopular. There would be almost no posts left!

That would be a bit pedantic. Usually it's obvious from the narrative that they are the posters' own images, without a letter-of-the-law statement of ownership after each image.

Sc.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » November 14th, 2023, 8:14 am

swill453 wrote:
csearle wrote:I have noticed that on the picture of the day thread this rule seems to be universally violated.

That would be a bit pedantic. Usually it's obvious from the narrative that they are the posters' own images, without a letter-of-the-law statement of ownership after each image.
Yes that is way I see it too. C.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » November 14th, 2023, 10:02 am

An additional point is that, if you touch an image on a mobile screen the source is immediately revealed. Whether that link always takes you to the source article or original context is debatable. I suspect that it does not. The image above does take you to the Twitter/X page. Is that universal?

TJH

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 14th, 2023, 11:00 am

tjh290633 wrote:An additional point is that, if you touch an image on a mobile screen the source is immediately revealed. Whether that link always takes you to the source article or original context is debatable. I suspect that it does not. The image above does take you to the Twitter/X page. Is that universal?

No, it's because the OP has combined both an image tag and a URL tag together. Of course it's not obvious just by looking at the rendered post, so I suspect that lack of obviousness is a good enough reason not to endorse the technique.

Scott.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 14th, 2023, 11:05 am

swill453 wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:An additional point is that, if you touch an image on a mobile screen the source is immediately revealed. Whether that link always takes you to the source article or original context is debatable. I suspect that it does not. The image above does take you to the Twitter/X page. Is that universal?

No, it's because the OP has combined both an image tag and a URL tag together. Of course it's not obvious just by looking at the rendered post, so I suspect that lack of obviousness is a good enough reason not to endorse the technique.

And just to add to that, the image itself is at https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-1N6YmXUAAZ4_W?format=jpg&name=small and AFAIK there is no reliable way of getting to the article/context page from that (a link or reverse image search may find it, but on a quick one of each it seems not for this case).

Return to “Suggestions to Improve the Site”