Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Xenophobia and Racism on LF

Constructive suggestions only please.
RockRabbit
Lemon Slice

Xenophobia and Racism on LF

Postby RockRabbit » March 1st, 2024, 11:33 am

The thread linked below is Islamophobic. If the same post was made about any other religion or group it would be deleted. Its pure race/Islam baiting, similar to the anti-Semitism in 1930s Germany. It is one of many Xenophobic and racist posts on the LF which have appeared in the last few months.

I reported the first post in the thread, but my report was closed with no explanation. The LF is simply becoming a unmoderated home for extremist right wing misinformation and cranks, with the occasional investment topic. Presumably this post will be deleted and I'll be banned, but I'm past caring.

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=42612

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: Xenophobia and Racism on LF

Postby kempiejon » March 1st, 2024, 11:39 am

RockRabbit wrote:The LF is simply becoming a unmoderated home for extremist right wing misinformation and cranks, with the occasional investment topic.

Ha, it's clearly moderated, but what's all this becoming? I come to hear the cranks.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 1st, 2024, 11:42 am

RockRabbit wrote:The thread linked below is Islamophobic. If the same post was made about any other religion or group it would be deleted. Its pure race/Islam baiting, similar to the anti-Semitism in 1930s Germany. It is one of many Xenophobic and racist posts on the LF which have appeared in the last few months.

I reported the first post in the thread, but my report was closed with no explanation. The LF is simply becoming a unmoderated home for extremist right wing misinformation and cranks, with the occasional investment topic. Presumably this post will be deleted and I'll be banned, but I'm past caring.

Well now!

I have just posted (reposted?) a simple, and in my opinion innocuous, reply to a post on that very thread that I thought I had previously posted and had been expletive deleted (in the TLF style...). I had already completed a text to post hereabouts to complain about this err... 'situation'.

BUT - knowing the vagaries of TLF, I thought it might be it was never posted in the first place (New post effect) so instead I have reposted it, making sure it was actually posted, keeping a copy and wait and see....

Not sure what that entire thread has to do with either Religion or Philosophy.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » March 1st, 2024, 11:57 am

RockRabbit wrote:The thread linked below is Islamophobic.

I thought that csearle in that thread very eloquently expressed what many people think about the vocal Islamists who are currently active in our country.
Another day, it might be Sikhs or Hindus or Seventh-Day Adventists.
The point is that we, or at least I and many others, do not like aliens coming to this country with their alien beliefs and trying to impose them on our society.

As has been said many times before, one does not have to read the News board, and if one wishes the site to be an echo chamber, well I disagree with much of the left-wingism, but I have no objection to posters expressing it.

V8

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » March 1st, 2024, 12:04 pm

That's one of the problems in the UK nowadays (formerly a country with freedom of speech). Things have become so woke, that one can't or daren't say what he/she or it thinks. It's a good job this is predominantly/just a financial discussion forum, ....err... it is, isn't it?

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » March 1st, 2024, 12:10 pm

WOKE definition: 1. past simple of wake 2. aware, especially of social problems such as racism and inequality.
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... glish/woke
Yeah too much of that.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » March 1st, 2024, 12:10 pm

88V8 wrote:The point is that we, or at least I and many others, do not like aliens coming to this country with their alien beliefs and trying to impose them on our society.

Yeah, but they don't care a jot that that's what their race/country has been doing all over the world for the past four hundred years. That is exactly what white supremacy is all about. "Our race is entitled to do it but yours can't, even if you yourself have no intention of colonising us."

As for "woke" being used as a form of abuse -- same thing: "we're entitled to be educated and impose our educated views on you, but if you try to do the same thing you're a woke, controlling bastard!"

GS

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » March 1st, 2024, 12:16 pm

88V8 wrote:I and many others, do not like aliens coming to this country with their alien beliefs

So at least the OP was correct in their Subject line for this thread, per the OED :

xenophobia
/ˌzɛnəˈfəʊbɪə/
noun
dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries.

RockRabbit
Lemon Slice

Postby RockRabbit » March 1st, 2024, 12:38 pm

richfool wrote:That's one of the problems in the UK nowadays (formerly a country with freedom of speech). Things have become so woke, that one can't or daren't say what he/she or it thinks. It's a good job this is predominantly/just a financial discussion forum, ....err... it is, isn't it?

So you would support the right to promote anti-Semitic 'hate speech' on LF? Or are you woke? Or just selective in how you define 'freedom of speech'.

The problem is the inconsistency of approach here. Protesting against Israeli military action in Gaza is defined by some people on LF (and elsewhere of course) as 'hate speech' which some appear to believe should be banned, while making inflammatory comments about whole groups of people, defined by either/or their skin colour or religion seems to be tolerated as freedom of speech.

RockRabbit
Lemon Slice

Postby RockRabbit » March 1st, 2024, 12:45 pm

88V8 wrote:
RockRabbit wrote:The thread linked below is Islamophobic.

I thought that csearle in that thread very eloquently expressed what many people think about the vocal Islamists who are currently active in our country.
Another day, it might be Sikhs or Hindus or Seventh-Day Adventists.
The point is that we, or at least I and many others, do not like aliens coming to this country with their alien beliefs and trying to impose them on our society.

As has been said many times before, one does not have to read the News board, and if one wishes the site to be an echo chamber, well I disagree with much of the left-wingism, but I have no objection to posters expressing it.

V8

I'm far from left wing, but I despise racism. And it appears to have come to the point that protesting against IDF actions in Gaza is now regarded by some as an 'alien belief'.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 1st, 2024, 1:40 pm

RockRabbit wrote:The thread linked below is Islamophobic. If the same post was made about any other religion or group it would be deleted. Its pure race/Islam baiting, similar to the anti-Semitism in 1930s Germany. It is one of many Xenophobic and racist posts on the LF which have appeared in the last few months.

I read the topic and did not see anything that was overtly racist. It is possible that some text was removed of course. But as it stands right now it seems fine and fair to me, indicating that the moderation is doing its job.

It has to be possible to make observations about a class of people here without someone playing a race card.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 1st, 2024, 1:54 pm

Lootman wrote:It has to be possible to make observations about a class of people here without someone playing a race card.

Perhaps it depends on how it is done?

Then again: making observations about "a class of people" carries obvious risks!

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » March 1st, 2024, 2:56 pm

You reported taken2often's first post claiming it was Islamophobic. It isn't. It doesn't mention Islam, in fact it doesn't mention any religion. I closed your report with no action because its claim was wrong. C.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » March 1st, 2024, 3:09 pm

RockRabbit wrote:The LF is simply becoming a unmoderated home for extremist right wing misinformation and cranks, with the occasional investment topic.
If you care to look there are many investment topics. If you choose to engage with them instead of piling into political discussions you will probably experience The Lemon Fool very differently.

If someone buys the FT then reads mainly the sports pages it doesn't mean the paper is focused on sport.

C.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » March 1st, 2024, 3:16 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:
88V8 wrote:I and many others, do not like aliens coming to this country with their alien beliefs
So at least the OP was correct in their Subject line for this thread, per the OED :
xenophobia
/ˌzɛnəˈfəʊbɪə/
noun
dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries.

No.
The Chinese seem to live here quite harmoniously, and the Russian orthodox, and for that matter the Jewish when they are allowed to quietly get on with their lives. It's a pity that the West Bank settlers don't follow the example of their emigres.
My prejudice, if you prefer that word, is against those who are not prepared to fit in.

csearle wrote:

If you care to look there are many investment topics. If you choose to engage with them instead of piling into political discussions you will probably experience The Lemon Fool very differently.
If someone buys the FT then reads mainly the sports pages it doesn't mean the paper is focused on sport.

Quite so.
On any forum with a general chat board one will find a (small) number of members having a ding-dong.
The TR Register ended up closing it's board altogether.
And I recall Mike4 commenting on the Canal something forum, same issue.
On AV Forums likewise, they have a hugely active chat board but no one complains that it's not a HiFi site any more.

There are many members here who never post on the News board, and those who are bothered by it are under no obligation to do so.

V8

MuddyBoots
Lemon Slice

Postby MuddyBoots » March 1st, 2024, 3:54 pm

RockRabbit wrote: The thread linked below is Islamophobic. If the same post was made about any other religion or group it would be deleted. Its pure race/Islam baiting, similar to the anti-Semitism in 1930s Germany. It is one of many Xenophobic and racist posts on the LF which have appeared in the last few months.

I've read the thread (as far as it goes just now) but can't see a reference to Islam or Muslims. It looks like a more general thread about immigration, migration and asylum. Can you give an example(s) of what you find xenophobic or racist?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 1st, 2024, 4:15 pm

MuddyBoots wrote:I've read the thread (as far as it goes just now) but can't see a reference to Islam or Muslims. It looks like a more general thread about immigration, migration and asylum. Can you give an example(s) of what you find xenophobic or racist?

What I want to know is: Who exactly are these "35 million chickens", coming Home to Roost? "Cluck Cluck"

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 1st, 2024, 5:19 pm

kempiejon wrote:WOKE definition: 1. past simple of wake 2. aware, especially of social problems such as racism and inequality.
Yeah too much of that.

Unfortunately, the term - which has really respectable roots going back to the 20's (?) has taken up by some political forces (mainly on the right) and turned into a term of abuse or derision. It's been "weaponised" against the cause it was originally used for and this is really regrettable.

If we are woke, we are aware of and alive to the problems of those in dire straits, those poorer or worse off than ourselves or those suffering prejudice and discrimination. It has no other meaning, yet people have come to think it has urged on by the right wing media and rabble they appeal to.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 1st, 2024, 5:25 pm

MuddyBoots wrote:
RockRabbit wrote: The thread linked below is Islamophobic. If the same post was made about any other religion or group it would be deleted. Its pure race/Islam baiting, similar to the anti-Semitism in 1930s Germany. It is one of many Xenophobic and racist posts on the LF which have appeared in the last few months.

I've read the thread (as far as it goes just now) but can't see a reference to Islam or Muslims. It looks like a more general thread about immigration, migration and asylum. Can you give an example(s) of what you find xenophobic or racist?

Comparing immigrants to clucking chickens strikes me as immediately laying out a xenophobic and racist discussion. It's only step away from a woman I heard quoted on the radio as describing immigrants (she happened to be referring to muslims) as appearing around us like cockroaches. That it exactly the sentiment expressed by the nazis, so we are only one stop short of that in the thread mentioned. First step of the racist bogits: de-humanise the others by reference to animal characatures. We've seen too much of that on the football pitch to tolerate in general society.

Arb.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » March 1st, 2024, 5:25 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
kempiejon wrote:WOKE definition: 1. past simple of wake 2. aware, especially of social problems such as racism and inequality.
Yeah too much of that.

Unfortunately, the term - which has really respectable roots going back to the 20's (?) has taken up by some political forces (mainly on the right) and turned into a term of abuse or derision. It's been "weaponised" against the cause it was originally used for and this is really regrettable.

If we are woke, we are aware of and alive to the problems of those in dire straits, those poorer or worse off than ourselves or those suffering prejudice and discrimination. It has no other meaning, yet people have come to think it has urged on by the right wing media and rabble they appeal to.

Arb.

I try and do my bit.

Return to “Suggestions to Improve the Site”