Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gadjet,niord,88V8,Wasron,PeterGray, for Donating to support the site

Startups

Green investment room for those with a green conscious following environmental, social and governance (ESG) principles
UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Startups

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 14th, 2022, 12:23 pm

We have lots of startups in areas of green technology, some of them quite innovative and unexpected. Whichever of these succeed will help our future.

To get the ball rolling, here are my green (some more than others) crowdfunding flutters. Those which are UK companies (the majority) have always been EIS-qualifying when I've invested.

• Energy Generation(4): two tidal energy companies, and one generating energy from rivers without the need for weirs/dams. And one supplying information from satellites to help manage renewable infrastructure.
  • Energy Efficiency(2): a company producing devices to capture heat from waste water from showers. And a company producing energy-efficient displays.
  • Agriculture(2): two companies using technology to supply information to farmers and help optimise (usually reduce) use of irrigation and chemicals. One using sensors in situ, the other satellites.
  • Transport(4): a bicycle maker, a developer of hyperloop train technology, and a company offering finance for commuters' season tickets (the last hit hard by covid but not dead yet). Also Pod Point (charge points for electric vehicles), now progressed from crowdfunded startup to listed company.
  • Hygeine(1): a company producing a loo that captures and recycles human waste, and a big improvement on old tech like chemical loos. Primarily for situations where there's no sewage infrastructure.
  • Plastics(1): a company recycling waste plastics into an alternative to bitumen for road building.

Hopefully others can contribute further ideas/experience with startups aiming to contribute in one way or another to greening the world?

tramrider
2 Lemon pips

Re: Startups

Postby tramrider » January 14th, 2022, 4:35 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:We have lots of startups in areas of green technology, some of them quite innovative and unexpected. Whichever of these succeed will help our future
[*]Hygeine(1): a company producing a loo that captures and recycles human waste, and a big improvement on old tech like chemical loos. Primarily for situations where there's no sewage infrastructure.

I am not sure that 'recycling' human waste is the best phrase to use. Perhaps 'reusing' might be better. :lol:

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 14th, 2022, 6:41 pm

tramrider wrote:I am not sure that 'recycling' human waste is the best phrase to use. Perhaps 'reusing' might be better. :lol:

Heh. I think they use a phrase like "harnessing the power of ...".

funduffer
Lemon Slice

Postby funduffer » January 16th, 2022, 8:23 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
tramrider wrote:I am not sure that 'recycling' human waste is the best phrase to use. Perhaps 'reusing' might be better. :lol:

Heh. I think they use a phrase like "harnessing the power of ...".

Or as we say in Yorkshire: "Where there's muck there's brass"!

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » Yesterday, 10:49 am

a company producing a loo that captures and recycles human waste

Captures? I have this mental image of somebody with a big net, trying to round up a runaway turd. If I recall, Aardman's ground-breaking cartoon film on the same theme didn't go down very successfully. So to speak. ;)

Joking aside, it's Dragon's Den ideas like these that stand to clean up (whoops, there I go again.) Always assuming that the technology is defensible. Or that the barriers to entry are high enough.

Okay, I give up. Make up your own bad jokes. :| Promising investment, though.

BJ

Return to “Green Investing”