Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Welcome to the green investment board

Green investment room for those with a green conscience or following environmental, social and governance (ESG) principles
stooz
Site Admin

Welcome to the green investment board

Postby stooz » January 5th, 2022, 11:15 pm

Green increasing is about a personal choice about where to invest. To invest in companies or portfolios that have a green goal, now or in the future.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58544966
Is a nice opening article on how this works and ideas to discuss.

From suggestions to sharing your plans or compiling your news on what's out there.

We accept that there will be cross posting and links to other areas in the site as these discussions will come under other forum headings, so feel free to spin off a topic here based on one elsewhere to discuss its green credentials separately.

Lemonfool team

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Welcome to the green investment board

Postby Lootman » January 5th, 2022, 11:46 pm

May I ask whether there was a request from the community to create this board? On the odd previous occasion when a new board has been created, it derived from requests from the community and expressed via posts to and discussion in the "Improve the Lemon" board (or whatever it is called these days).

This new board seems to have come out of left field, to use a baseball expression. I did see this:

viewtopic.php?f=104&t=32676

but discussion there seemed minimal and a bit half-hearted. Usually it is a big struggle to get a new board implemented.

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » January 6th, 2022, 12:03 am

This was a starter topic and then discussed further privately.
This is an emerging field for many subjects from green cars to green energy.
It's about the personal choice of people to do what they feel is right for the world. Where you agree or not, it deserves a place to discuss that lemonfool support.

Personally I have not seen any struggles to get new boards but if you want to send me a PM with topic request I am happy to take a look and discuss with the team.

We certainly don't want anyone thinking it's a struggle.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » January 6th, 2022, 12:57 am

Lootman wrote:May I ask whether there was a request from the community to create this board?
Stay awake at the back there Loots! ;) Your link was the request, Chris

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 6th, 2022, 1:35 am

Speaking as one of those who seconded the request,

Thank you.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » January 6th, 2022, 10:01 am

The board name seems to have had the word "Ethical" bunged onto the front overnight.

Is that to distinguish it from discussions about Unethical Green Investing? :?

And will there be another new board for that, and if not, where do we discuss unethical green investing ................ ?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 6th, 2022, 12:02 pm

mc2fool wrote:The board name seems to have had the word "Ethical" bunged onto the front overnight.

And will there be another new board for that, and if not, where do we discuss unethical green investing ................ ?

Just noticed another discrepancy. The board description:
ERG green investment room for those with a green conscious

Erm, a green conscious (complete absence of noun to make grammatical sense). I'm not a fan of conflating green with ethical: the latter involves too many often-subjective judgements.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 6th, 2022, 12:04 pm

mc2fool wrote:The board name seems to have had the word "Ethical" bunged onto the front overnight.

Perhaps the addition of the word "ethical" is a nod to the popularity of so-called ESG investing (Environmental, Social and Governance). A cynical soul might object to the conflating of "green" and "ethical" since it rather implies that green investing is somehow better than non-green investing.

Or maybe just call it the Ethical Investing Board, and subsume Green investing in there if that is the position being taken.

But to answer your question, all of the other investing boards can potentially be used to discuss unethical investing, green or otherwise. Or are you suggesting that we need a Vice Investing Board?

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » January 6th, 2022, 12:41 pm

Lets take the view that if there is enough topics to warrant to need to declutter between green and ethical, we can look at it again at that point.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » January 6th, 2022, 12:42 pm

Lootman wrote:

Perhaps the addition of the word "ethical" is a nod to the popularity of so-called ESG investing (Environmental, Social and Governance). A cynical soul might object to the conflating of "green" and "ethical" since it rather implies that green investing is somehow better than non-green investing.

Or maybe just call it the Ethical Investing Board, and subsume Green investing in there if that is the position being taken.

But to answer your question, all of the other investing boards can potentially be used to discuss unethical investing, green or otherwise. Or are you suggesting that we need a Vice Investing Board?

I've removed the word "Ethical". The original user suggestion was for a board on Green Investing. We can consider expanding it to Ethical investing which is a different thing (or a broader thing) if there is demand for it.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 11th, 2022, 10:45 am

FWIW I fully support this new board, so thanks for starting it. I hold UKW, SSE, and TRIG in the renewable/green sector, and intend buying more shares from other firms of that ilk in the future. In fact, I'm topping up my UKW shareholdings on 20 Jan 22.

We live in Orkney, where wind turbines abound, and benefit from our own too. ;)

Ian.

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » January 12th, 2022, 3:45 pm

I support this . Just remember that Green Theme is for the Gullible and lots of cons will appear, so that is how we can help each other before buying a stock. I have shares in the following
Atrato Onsite Energy (ROOF) Gore Street Energy (GSF) Gresham House Energy Storage (GRID) Harmony Energy Income (HEIT)
HydrogenOne (HGEN) JLEN Environmental Assets (JLEN) All Investment Trusts

ILIKA (IKA) Invinity Energy Systems (IES) US Solar (USFP) Van Eck Hydrogen UCIT ETF (HDGB).

So I am hoping that I can benefit from the stupidity of the Media and Politician who are happy to ignore science. If and when the bubble bursts then at least all these shares will still be making a contribution in the scheme of things. The current high cost of energy will be expanding the bubble. This site should not be about Green Politics, so my last words are if you want the alternative to the Green Bible then I suggest you read a book called
False Alarm by Bjorn Lomborg a Swede. This not an Anti Book it is about clarification of facts, where Governments are going wrong and suggestion that would allow us to go in the right direction and make the world better for all. You could see some of his interviews on Youtube as a shortcut.
Logic over Emotion.

Bob

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 12th, 2022, 3:59 pm

taken2often wrote:I support this . Just remember that Green Theme is for the Gullible and lots of cons will appear, so that is how we can help each other before buying a stock. I have shares in the following
Atrato Onsite Energy (ROOF) Gore Street Energy (GSF) Gresham House Energy Storage (GRID) Harmony Energy Income (HEIT)
HydrogenOne (HGEN) JLEN Environmental Assets (JLEN) All Investment Trusts

ILIKA (IKA) Invinity Energy Systems (IES) US Solar (USFP) Van Eck Hydrogen UCIT ETF (HDGB).

So I am hoping that I can benefit from the stupidity of the Media and Politician who are happy to ignore science. If and when the bubble bursts then at least all these shares will still be making a contribution in the scheme of things. The current high cost of energy will be expanding the bubble. This site should not be about Green Politics, so my last words are if you want the alternative to the Green Bible then I suggest you read a book called

False Alarm by Bjorn Lomborg a Swede. This not an Anti Book it is about clarification of facts, where Governments are going wrong and suggestion that would allow us to go in the right direction and make the world better for all. You could see some of his interviews on Youtube as a shortcut.
Logic over Emotion.

Bob

I have no problem with green investing provided it is profitable but I have no interest in simply propping up this ‘in’ topic. I think that ESG is a separate issue and all companies should be observing these matters anyway.

Dod

WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Postby WickedLester » January 12th, 2022, 6:36 pm

If I wanted to be cynical I would say it matters not whether the whole global warming thing is bunkum, politicians are signed up to it and huge sums of money are going to flow into companies with green technologies so I hope to profit from that.

I also have a few shares in Invinity Energy Systems.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 12th, 2022, 9:56 pm

WickedLester wrote:If I wanted to be cynical I would say it matters not whether the whole global warming thing is bunkum, politicians are signed up to it and huge sums of money are going to flow into companies with green technologies so I hope to profit from that.

I also have a few shares in Invinity Energy Systems.

It's true the green energy sector is politically exposed. It suffered rather badly under Osborne.

But then so are many other sectors, including fossil energy. The biggest bubble (in the UK) is property, and no government shows any stomach for turning that tap off.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » January 22nd, 2022, 10:01 am

Energy crisis bursts green energy bubble

"Surging gas prices brings an end to the green market bubble as private equity hugely increased investment into oil and gas firms last year"
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... es-bubble/

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » January 22nd, 2022, 10:19 am

richfool wrote:Energy crisis bursts green energy bubble
"Surging gas prices brings an end to the green market bubble as private equity hugely increased investment into oil and gas firms last year"

We need a lot more O&G exploration and development.

Bubble... this is what bothers me about 'green' investing.
Politically, short-term will always trump long-term... most voters don't really give a hoot, so most politicos don't either.
Thus the subsidies and the taxation nudges are always vulnerable.

There has to be a strong commercial foundation to make investment worthwhile, it's not enough that it's 'good'.
Happy that some of my ITs dabble, but for me as a direct investor, less attractive.

V8

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » February 2nd, 2022, 5:38 pm

I would like to ask if the board comes under the term sustainable investing ? it might be a better/wider name for these discussions?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 2nd, 2022, 8:20 pm

stooz wrote:I would like to ask if the board comes under the term sustainable investing ? it might be a better/wider name for these discussions?

Isn't "sustainable" synonymous with "green" in the context of investing? Discuss!

Ironically my "startups" topic is about investments some of which will inevitably fail (if only I knew which ...). But I get the feeling of talking to myself there. So far we've had just a couple of us trying to start threads here, plus the odd sceptic trying to troll the green investing thesis but being too obvious for anyone to rise to it. I'm disappointed to see so little interest.

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » February 2nd, 2022, 8:37 pm

Hence my title change it might pickup more Google traction

Return to “Green Investing”