Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Switching to green energy needs same urgency as covid jab

Green investment room for those with a green conscience or following environmental, social and governance (ESG) principles
tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Switching to green energy needs same urgency as covid jab

Postby tjh290633 » June 26th, 2023, 6:56 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:
scotview wrote:
Why ?

Does he think the planet is about to spontaneously combust ? Or does he have a vested interest in all that green energy tax payers funding ?

or even that anything we do, or don't do, in this tiny island will make any difference?

My theory is that the Earth is a self regulating system and given time it will sort itself out, even if we do nothing. Time constants can be very long and cycles vary in frequency. Even more important are solar cycles. One day we shall be heading for a little ice age.

When we have global cooling, what will the warmists do then?

TJH

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 26th, 2023, 9:51 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:
or even that anything we do, or don't do, in this tiny island will make any difference?

My theory is that the Earth is a self regulating system and given time it will sort itself out, even if we do nothing. Time constants can be very long and cycles vary in frequency. Even more important are solar cycles. One day we shall be heading for a little ice age.

TJH

I'm sure your theory is right. Its been around since at least the 1970s when James Lovelock proposed his "Gaia Principle" hypothesis.

The concern about it is the self-healing system which is The Earth, might decide to fix its overheating problem by getting rid of the cause i.e. the excessive number of human beings infesting it currently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_hypothesis

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 26th, 2023, 10:30 pm

scotview wrote:
richfool wrote:Switching to green fuel needs same urgency as Covid jab, says energy boss.

Why ?

Does he think the planet is about to spontaneously combust ? Or does he have a vested interest in all that green energy tax payers funding ?

At a guess, he's using the Covid jab analogy as a case where government didn't just pose and waffle but actually took meaningful action.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 26th, 2023, 10:33 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
scotview wrote:Why ? Does he think the planet is about to spontaneously combust ? Or does he have a vested interest in all that green energy tax payers funding ?

At a guess, he's using the Covid jab analogy as a case where government didn't just pose and waffle but actually took meaningful action.

Can you give examples of such "meaningful action"?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 26th, 2023, 10:36 pm

Mike4 wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:My theory is that the Earth is a self regulating system and given time it will sort itself out, even if we do nothing. Time constants can be very long and cycles vary in frequency. Even more important are solar cycles. One day we shall be heading for a little ice age.

TJH

I'm sure your theory is right. Its been around since at least the 1970s when James Lovelock proposed his "Gaia Principle" hypothesis.

The concern about it is the self-healing system which is The Earth, might decide to fix its overheating problem by getting rid of the cause i.e. the excessive number of human beings infesting it currently.

Yeah "the planet" will be just fine

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 26th, 2023, 10:42 pm

servodude wrote:
Mike4 wrote:I'm sure your theory is right. Its been around since at least the 1970s when James Lovelock proposed his "Gaia Principle" hypothesis.

Yeah "the planet" will be just fine

Has been for 4.5 billion years. But I am sure you know best.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 26th, 2023, 10:45 pm

Lootman wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:At a guess, he's using the Covid jab analogy as a case where government didn't just pose and waffle but actually took meaningful action.

Can you give examples of such "meaningful action"?

The big one - splashing money at Big Pharma by speculative pre-ordering - a big boost to their incentive to pull out all the stops.

One might also point at them appointing Kate Bingham and her working group.

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » September 16th, 2023, 4:38 pm

scotview wrote:
88V8 wrote:I agree. But in the context of renewables the keyword 'batteries' is still missing from mainstream/govt thinking.

V8

And a rebuild of the grid to handle the X30 increase in generation to power our homes, transport and industry.

Can't be as high as x30.

Making all transport (cars, vans, lorries, buses) electric only adds 40% to electricity demand:

https://www.sustainabilitybynumbers.com ... um=reader2

I recommend reading Hannah Ritchie if you want some numerate estimates of all things green.

FD

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » September 16th, 2023, 4:48 pm

funduffer wrote:Can't be as high as x30.

FD

Heating the entire UK housing stock on electricity on a dark, frozen, no wind, Christmas Day......think kW, peak.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 16th, 2023, 6:39 pm

scotview wrote:
richfool wrote:Switching to green fuel needs same urgency as Covid jab, says energy boss

There are a few caviats.

1 For how long will wind power generation need a semi-hot standby, fully balancing fleet of gas turbine generators with guaranteed gas supply.

2 What is the REAL timescale and practicality for UK sized battery storage for say 5 days.

3 How many large nuclear stations will be required and when will the first one be on the bars.

4 When will the fleet of small scale reactors be generating.

5 Where will the nuclear waste be stored.

6 What is the total amount of NEW electricity generation Terawatts required to replace the UK buildings heating load supplied by HC, with the complimentary virtual rebuilding of the nations grid.

Haven't seen any answers to the above basic questions by GOV. There is no big picture and supporting detailed strategy.

It is like the fuel farms which you can see at airports. Each of the tanks has a different name on it, Esso, BP, Shell and so on but they all contain exactly the same fuel and in fact will all be linked to the same input pipe. For a mere £10 per month extra, as I understand the offer, Ovo will supply me with green energy and make me feel better, but like Octopus I have no doubt that they buy their energy from the national grid, with its mix of fossil fuels and green energy.

Dod

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » September 16th, 2023, 6:47 pm

Dod101 wrote:
It is like the fuel farms which you can see at airports. Each of the tanks has a different name on it, Esso, BP, Shell and so on but they all contain exactly the same fuel and in fact will all be linked to the same input pipe. For a mere £10 per month extra, as I understand the offer, Ovo will supply me with green energy and make me feel better, but like Octopus I have no doubt that they buy their energy from the national grid, with its mix of fossil fuels and green energy.

Dod

I'm with OVO, my bill from them tells me what the source mix of OVO's energy is ( which is not very green). But in reality most of my electricity most of the year is going to be generated by wind as that is what most of my local sources of potential difference are. If the wind is not blowing next source of PD is going to be Peterhead gas station and then hydropower. After that it's going to be nuclear from South of Scotland and then hydro from Norway.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 17th, 2023, 7:58 am

daveh wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

I'm with OVO, my bill from them tells me what the source mix of OVO's energy is ( which is not very green). But in reality most of my electricity most of the year is going to be generated by wind as that is what most of my local sources of potential difference are. If the wind is not blowing next source of PD is going to be Peterhead gas station and then hydropower. After that it's going to be nuclear from South of Scotland and then hydro from Norway.

Is that how it works? I thought it all just went into the grid and intermingled as it were.

Dod

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 17th, 2023, 8:19 am

Dod101 wrote:
daveh wrote:I'm with OVO, my bill from them tells me what the source mix of OVO's energy is ( which is not very green). But in reality most of my electricity most of the year is going to be generated by wind as that is what most of my local sources of potential difference are. If the wind is not blowing next source of PD is going to be Peterhead gas station and then hydropower. After that it's going to be nuclear from South of Scotland and then hydro from Norway.

Is that how it works? I thought it all just went into the grid and intermingled as it were.

Dod

Kind of, sort of yeah... but then there's the financing where you can theoretically hypothecate stuff that's fungible and rely on those that tally to balance the books

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 17th, 2023, 8:46 am

What OVO tells me is that if I sign up to their green energy deal, my electricity will still come from the grid with the current mix of sources but that they will feed pure green energy into the grid to compensate for all the electricity supplied from fossil fuels and the like. All for a mere £120 per annum. All this to make me feel better. No thanks.

Dod

Return to “Green Investing”