Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Crypto education

How to buy, profit and invest in crypto currencies or NFTs
Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Crypto education

Postby Urbandreamer » December 4th, 2023, 2:52 pm

Those of us interested in crypto currencies are use to buying technical books and sweating through complex ideas. Economic, mathematical and information technology. However a number of things have caused me to look into "education".

Here is my first and easiest link. (NatWest)
How to explain cryptocurrency to children

WHAT! Me directing you to a bank for information about crypto, I bet that you didn't expect that! Well neither did I. However, given that the target audience is parents and children I think that they have done a bang up job.

Go Henry, who target children, also do a good job.

I don't know if people have heard of MOOC (Massively Open Online Courses) but a number of universities offer free courses more suitable for adults.
https://www.mooc-list.com/tags/cryptocurrency

I've used such courses in the past to study many things, though not crypto. This one offered by Princeton University caught my eye.
https://www.mooc-list.com/course/bitcoi ... s-coursera
I've signed up, just for the sake of it.

Finally, and specifically because itsallaguess felt my politics relevant, can I shout out
A progressives case for bitcoin
Recently released and written by an American educator it explains bitcoin to people who tend to vote Democrat.
As he says in a Forbes interview.
Ultimately Bitcoin is a monetary technology. As any good monetary technology, it doesn't and shouldn't have a political bias,

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Re: Crypto education

Postby Urbandreamer » December 16th, 2023, 9:01 am

I'm part way through my bitcoin course. Can I recommend that anyone interested in crypto actually find a course.

Anyway, it was this post by Infrasonic that made me think and post.
viewtopic.php?p=634205#p634205
Approval phishing scams have been used to steal at least $1bn in cryptocurrency since May 2021, according to a new report by Chainalysis.

On the course they explained how Chainanalytics work and sited an early news article that linked Satoshi to scammers. The news article was withdrawn because the link was that both had used MTGox, an early crypto exchange.

Anyway, the point is that if a payment into a wallet is known to be as a result of a scam, then while the owner of that wallet may also have legitimate businesses, you might want to question if you are actually being scammed when asked to pay into the same wallet.

Surely there should be services out there that enable you to check. OH, a quick web search reveals that there are.
I.E
https://www.bitcoinwhoswho.com/

I should say that I've never used the service. But most of my payments have been for beer, which I've then drunk.

PS, the article that Infrasonic linked made it clear that the headline, "over claimed". The article stated the sum as an estimate, attributed to these scams. I suspect that it's a sum of the wallets used by scammers who have used this scam. Who may also have used other scams or been paid for services (legal or illegal).

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » December 19th, 2023, 8:27 am

Urbandreamer wrote:I'm part way through my bitcoin course. Can I recommend that anyone interested in crypto actually find a course.

Anyway, it was this post by Infrasonic that made me think and post.
viewtopic.php?p=634205#p634205
Approval phishing scams have been used to steal at least $1bn in cryptocurrency since May 2021, according to a new report by Chainalysis.

On the course they explained how Chainanalytics work and sited an early news article that linked Satoshi to scammers. The news article was withdrawn because the link was that both had used MTGox, an early crypto exchange.

Anyway, the point is that if a payment into a wallet is known to be as a result of a scam, then while the owner of that wallet may also have legitimate businesses, you might want to question if you are actually being scammed when asked to pay into the same wallet.

Surely there should be services out there that enable you to check. OH, a quick web search reveals that there are.
I.E
https://www.bitcoinwhoswho.com/

I should say that I've never used the service. But most of my payments have been for beer, which I've then drunk.

PS, the article that Infrasonic linked made it clear that the headline, "over claimed". The article stated the sum as an estimate, attributed to these scams. I suspect that it's a sum of the wallets used by scammers who have used this scam. Who may also have used other scams or been paid for services (legal or illegal).

I have to admit that I still don't understand.

A share, dollar or sterling banknote and gold coin is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. However, the shares and banknotes are supported by the power of what they represent. The dollar bill represents the US economy. The share represents the strength and profitability of a company. These are real things you can see and experience. The gold coin is tangible and even if the price plummets, you still possess it and can make a nice piece of jewellery.

It's this aspect of cryptocurrency that I don't understand. What exactly is supporting it, apart from the buying and selling?

Steve

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » December 19th, 2023, 10:51 am

stevensfo wrote:I have to admit that I still don't understand.

A share, dollar or sterling banknote and gold coin is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. However, the shares and banknotes are supported by the power of what they represent. The dollar bill represents the US economy. The share represents the strength and profitability of a company. These are real things you can see and experience. The gold coin is tangible and even if the price plummets, you still possess it and can make a nice piece of jewellery.

It's this aspect of cryptocurrency that I don't understand. What exactly is supporting it, apart from the buying and selling?

Steve

Right, let us start by agreeing that from one point of view, you are right about bitcoin. Crytpo currencies are too wide a field so lets narrow it down to one that we can talk about with some knowledge. You are right that the ONLY purpose of bitcoin is money/currency. Ignore for a moment the value of gold or silver, the purposes of money/currency are "medium of exchange", "store of value" and "unit of account".

Now specifically you are wrong in some of your claims. Or at least your claims are not what is claimed by the things that you mention. The dollar very specifically doesn't represent the US economy. It use to claim that it was backed by the "Full faith and credit of the US government". Some may question those things. It no longer makes any claim but to pay a dollar, whatever that is. Oh and "In God we trust".

A share does indeed represent a company, but while it may act as a store of value, you can't use it as money, anywhere. Well actually there is a fictional story where shares in the Barbie Consortium do become paper money, but I know of no real life example.

Gold and silver. You do know that there is a reason that we talk pound sterling? It did use to be a pound of silver. Specifically 240 silver pennies that in total weighed a pound. Check the history books.

Now imagine having to cart pounds of silver to the local car dealer. See any problems with that at all? Of course gold is lighter so why not mint gold coins for large purposes. Still many thousand ounces of gold still weighs a lot (remember 1 troy ounce of gold is valued at one pound of silver and there are 12 ounces to this pound)
Hence the concept of keeping the silver or gold in a bank, possibly the same bank as the car dealer and simply turning up with a bank note.

Now what does a sterling bank note (your words) say upon it?
"I promise to pay the bearer on demand the sum of twenty pounds"
Take one out and look at it. So you can turn up at the bank of England and say, "see here is your promise, now give me my silver", can't you?
A quick look and today you would pay £690 per kg for silver. So 20 pounds of sterling silver might just be worth a bit more than the promise that you hold.
https://www.chards.co.uk/1kg-vat-free-s ... land/13321

So neither note claims what you claimed for it, and there are serious doubts about the claims that the notes actually make.

So, does the dollar or pound note act as a "medium of exchange"? Well yes. Does it act as a "store of value", err remind me what inflation is. How about "unit of account", well yes.
Now what of gold or silver. The answers would be "no", "yes", "no". Both metals have lost their use as money, though they still have value.
Arguably, and it is arguable, the answers for bitcoin are, "yes", "yes", "no". So it's not a perfect money by any means. However at least to some it is a form of money.

And at this point we come to the question, what forms of money do you like.
Do you own any US dollars? What about Euros? How about Canadian dollars? Maybe you own the Krona or the Swiss Frank.

The latter were not chosen at random, but because people did chose to own them pre-bitcoin. Even though they were useless as a medium of exchange or unit of account in the county that they lived. Why? Well they had doubts about the US dollar and the UK pound money supply. Increases in the money supply usually are the same as debasement and often known as or cause inflation.

Why bitcoin, well it's supply increase follows a geometric progression with less and less being produced every four years. Next year less new bitcoin will be mined than gold.

I've recently finished Lyn Alden's book and can heartily recommend it. It only covers bitcoin in the final chapter having spent very many chapters talking about money in all it's historic forms (including debt used in ancient times or by hunter gatherers).
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Broken-Money-F ... C81&sr=8-1

By all means reject bitcoin and other crypto, but I really do recommend finding out more about money. Lyn Alden's book is only one of very many.

Want to avoid books that mention crypto, then read ones that predate it. Such as "When money dies" published in 1975.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Money-Die ... C73&sr=8-1
Or "A history of money" 1994 (sorry I've not read that one).
Pdf here
https://library.uniteddiversity.coop/Mo ... nt_Day.pdf

You can't get to grips with crypto currency before you understand currency and money itself.

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » December 19th, 2023, 11:44 am

The only education is to read upon the Tilip Mania of the 1600s.

The bitcoin price driven up, more than doubled in 2023, only because of greed, and as buyers think that's there's huge profits to be made, not because of value, because it has no value! Crypto is virtually non existent as a medium of exchange, just for wild speculation and money laundering.

Bitcoin is used for some transactions but next to nothing compared to real currency. So has no real uses :D and no one knows what its worth either, lol! despite what advocates would claim!

ignotus20
Lemon Pip

Postby ignotus20 » December 19th, 2023, 12:43 pm

Adamski wrote:The only education is to read upon the Tilip Mania of the 1600s.

According to these fellows, the global cut flower market is currently worth $31bn:

https://www.transparencymarketresearch. ... arket.html

And these people claim the tulip market alone will be worth $8.9bn by 2029:

https://www.databridgemarketresearch.co ... lip-market

Although bearing in mind they make roughly similar predictions for the other 4000+ other markets they cover, you may wish to take those projections with the appropriate bucket of Himalayan Pink Salt.

Even though BTC has no intrinsic value and essentially does nothing other than solve quite a dull problem of encrypting and signing transactions (and vastly inefficiently at that) its aficionados remain convinced of the longevity of its extrinsic value.

Further, quite a number of them have jobs in financial services and/or a libertarian political worldview which means they will continue to both hold and buy more. This will probably place a medium-term floor under the BTC price. At least until they all get a bit older and something else new and shiny comes along to displace it.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » December 19th, 2023, 1:21 pm

Adamski wrote:The only education is to read upon the Tilip Mania of the 1600s.

The bitcoin price driven up, more than doubled in 2023, only because of greed, and as buyers think that's there's huge profits to be made, not because of value, because it has no value! Crypto is virtually non existent as a medium of exchange, just for wild speculation and money laundering.

Bitcoin is used for some transactions but next to nothing compared to real currency. So has no real uses :D and no one knows what its worth either, lol! despite what advocates would claim!

OK. Please explain just when Tulips were a currency! Kindly provide a book link, WHERE IT IS AN EXAMPLE CURRENCY.

Now if any of you ARE going to read about the Tulip craze then can I recommend this book.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraordi ... _of_Crowds

OH, by the way I do hope that I don't need to point out that given it was published in 1841, it predates bitcoin, the "gold standard" and modern fiat money. Well except the works of John Law which it does detail.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Law_(economist)

My post continued here, but I decided that all I would be doing is feeding the......

Pony up Adam, provide some educational resources. Don't just claim that people should ignore the ones that are available, feeding ignorance.

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » December 19th, 2023, 1:48 pm

Hi Guys, perhaps shouldn't have mentioned tulips first. My main pont was Bitcoin has limited uses in the real world. Only heard of it used for ransomware attacks, donating maybe and money laundering. Its not like you can use it to buy anything down the shops or online shopping. Cheers Adam

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » December 19th, 2023, 4:08 pm

Adamski wrote:My main pont was Bitcoin has limited uses in the real world. Only heard of it used for ransomware attacks, donating maybe and money laundering. Its not like you can use it to buy anything down the shops or online shopping. Cheers Adam

For the record Adam is wrong. You can use it directly in supermarkets and all big shops in some parts of the world. I have posted on this thread that I've used it to buy beer, and on other threads to buy shirts at Matalan (in that case using VISA). You can buy stuff online with it, or pay for a ticket to see Bedford play. You can even pay your taxes with it in some parts of Europe.
https://www.luxurytribune.com/en/storie ... swiss-alps

As said by ignotus20, there is a community out there who value the stuff. Not so very sure about his bit about us loosing interest when we get older. I'm 60 and I've so far failed to see a demographic limit to it.

murraypaul
Lemon Slice

Postby murraypaul » December 19th, 2023, 4:14 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:You can use it directly in supermarkets and all big shops in some parts of the world.

Directly? The supermarkets have a bitcoin address you send funds to?

Or do you mean indirectly? That you can use a payment processor that you send bitcoin to, and the merchant receives USD/GBP/... as normal?

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » December 19th, 2023, 4:27 pm

murraypaul wrote:
Urbandreamer wrote:You can use it directly in supermarkets and all big shops in some parts of the world.

The goods are priced in bitcoin didn't you know? Everyone at the checkout gets a free cup of coffee while they wait 15 minutes for the blockchain to update. (The coffee uses less energy to make than is required to complete the BC transaction.)

GS

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » December 19th, 2023, 5:10 pm

murraypaul wrote:

Or do you mean indirectly? That you can use a payment processor that you send bitcoin to, and the merchant receives USD/GBP/... as normal?

Note "some parts of the world". But yes I did mean both directly and "indirectly" as in via the lightning network. I am aware that you do not regard that as bitcoin, but many people do. I can't say for certain if the supermarkets concerned keep part of their treasury in bitcoin or maintain a treasury in USD. The unit of account there is still very much USD. They are fortunate in that they can pay suppliers and their taxes in bitcoin. Paying empoyies is also possible, but I doubt that they do.

Adam should be aware that El Salvador passed their legal tender law requiring shops etc to accept bitcoin (via lightning). My post was pointing out that YES shops in some parts of the world accept bitcoin meaning that you CAN use it.

There is a good video of a family that live there, spending bitcoin (via lightning), for a week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSKdpbB5BAc

Bedford FC in the UK reputedly do keep some of their treasury in bitcoin, though they are obviously limited in how much they can. I believe that most of their bills are in GBP and their taxes certainly are.

The issue for any vendor that transacts on chain is the time for confirmation (as I'm sure you know). Hence most must use something like lightning. They also must deal with suppliers, employees and the tax system.

Return to “Crypto and NFTs”