Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Welcome to US Fools - Discussion Board

Discuss any requirements/questions that US Fools may have about The Lemon Fool
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Welcome to US Fools - Discussion Board

Postby Clariman » October 18th, 2022, 5:41 pm

It was suggested on another board that some US Fools may be in search of a new home, so we have set up this board to allow discussions to take place and to answer any questions about The Lemon Fool. Feel free to make any requests and let's start a discussion.

The Lemon Fool was set up in November 2016 when The Motley Fool UK closed its UK discussion boards. Within 24 hours, 1,500 users were registered and we now have nearly 7,000. It is still run by the original founders with a small team of volunteer moderators.

We are happy to discuss any US specific requirements here. Feel free to share this link with anyone who may be looking for a new discussion forum.

Welcome.

Stooz and Clariman

stooz
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to US Fools - Discussion Board

Postby stooz » October 18th, 2022, 7:03 pm

As you can see we can create new boards and sections to sit the discussions

SteadyAim
Lemon Pip

Postby SteadyAim » October 23rd, 2022, 9:22 pm

Couldn't we just create a "US Shares" board in "Sectors & General Share Dealing"? To be honest, I'm surprised we don't have one already, there are certainly people here that hold Berkshire, Apple, Google, etc.

And then if a bunch of US Berkshire holders choose to use that board to discuss Berkshire and other US shares I don't see that it does any harm.

(I read the BRK board on fool.com, and some there are not happy with the new boards on fool.com, hence they're looking for other options.)

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » October 23rd, 2022, 10:22 pm

Snorvey wrote:We'll need a 'Guns 'n Ammo' board.

Not on my watch.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 23rd, 2022, 11:02 pm

Clariman wrote:

Not on my watch.

We will need a korrrfey board though :) My badness :oops:

AiY(D)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 24th, 2022, 2:03 pm

Clariman wrote:

Not on my watch.

Maybe a huntin' and fishin' board instead?

They are the 7th and 2nd most popular outdoor activities in the US.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » October 24th, 2022, 3:51 pm

SteadyAim wrote:Couldn't we just create a "US Shares" board in "Sectors & General Share Dealing"? To be honest, I'm surprised we don't have one already, there are certainly people here that hold Berkshire, Apple, Google, etc.

+1 to that - it would serve as a natural home for any fool.com refugees whilst also being useful for UK-based Lemons, and those of us flitting between the two....

Probably wouldn't be super-busy initially, but everything's got to start somewhere.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 24th, 2022, 4:02 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:
SteadyAim wrote:Couldn't we just create a "US Shares" board in "Sectors & General Share Dealing"? To be honest, I'm surprised we don't have one already, there are certainly people here that hold Berkshire, Apple, Google, etc.

+1 to that - it would serve as a natural home for any fool.com refugees whilst also being useful for UK-based Lemons, and those of us flitting between the two....

Probably wouldn't be super-busy initially, but everything's got to start somewhere.

Why not a non-UK Shares board instead? While they've not generated much discussion, various Lemons have commented that they hold the likes of Nestle, Vale, Siemens, LVMH and others at the least, IIRC. While a non-UK Shares board might predictably be mostly about US shares it would also give a home to those others too....

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 24th, 2022, 5:42 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Hallucigenia wrote:

Why not a non-UK Shares board instead? While they've not generated much discussion, various Lemons have commented that they hold the likes of Nestle, Vale, Siemens, LVMH and others at the least, IIRC. While a non-UK Shares board might predictably be mostly about US shares it would also give a home to those others too....

I have held Nestle, Vale and Siemens in the past, but only as US ADRs. Most non-US multinational shares are available as ADRs and so you can build an international portfolio of such shares without venturing beyond a single foreign currency (USD) and whilst staying within the realm of US market efficiency, transparency and regulations. Many Canadian shares also trade in the US, and Chinese tech shares on Nasdaq.

So if discussion of ADRs were allowed on a "US shares" board then there would probably not be a lot of demand for international shares not traded as ADRs.

PS: Does the Japanese stock market still close for lunch? I always thought that was cute.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » October 24th, 2022, 7:51 pm

Lootman wrote:PS: Does the Japanese stock market still close for lunch? I always thought that was cute.

Apparently it does
https://www.jpx.co.jp/english/equities/ ... ese%20days.

.--kiloran

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » October 24th, 2022, 8:10 pm

kiloran wrote:
Lootman wrote:PS: Does the Japanese stock market still close for lunch? I always thought that was cute.

Apparently it does
https://www.jpx.co.jp/english/equities/ ... ese%20days.

.--kiloran

I'm surprised that the French Market doesn't close...for a couple of hours at least ;)

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » October 24th, 2022, 8:16 pm

Moderator Message:
Most of the discussion on this thread is off-topic for the original 'Welcome to US Fools'. Any debate on whether this is a good idea needs to be taken elsewhere (chas49)

jcmiii

Postby jcmiii » October 28th, 2022, 2:29 pm

A belated thanks for the warm welcome.

Currently the US Fool Boards are running. I've joined this site incase that changes, but until the US Boards close I'm likely to continue just posting there. Of course if a critical mass of people moved her, so would I :)

I think most shocking to people on a few of the US Boards, including the BRK board, is the loss of some of our most valued posters. In particular, Mungofitch decided to drop off following the transition. Unfortunately, moving to another board will not change that.

Thanks,
John

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 12th, 2022, 10:21 pm

I started with the Fool in the mid-90s on the .com side; IDR if the .co.uk existed back then. Later relocating to the UK I followed both, so I've seen both sides. Are the Fool.com boards presently under threat? If so I'd suggest they get the word out now that TLF can act as an outage/day-1 landing zone for them. They could dust themselves down here, with like-minded individuals, and it can be discussed how they might better accommodate themselves?

I'm suggesting this as I recall how it felt when the Fool/uk boards suddenly went up in smoke. Instantly people I'd being chatting with, at times daily for years suddenly evaporated. IMV the key for them if they're under threat is to get a contingency landing-zone publicized [cough] now. They might also appoint/nominate a users group of prominent and respected posters who understand their community to represent them. Just as Stooz and Clariman achieved here.

Good luck to them.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » December 3rd, 2022, 11:04 pm

Moderator Message:
Posts which discuss moderation are not permitted and have been deleted from this topic.

The site rules state:

Public discussion of moderation policies is not permitted, but users can query specific individual moderation decisions in Room 101. Response from Admins will be final. Guidelines here viewtopic.php?f=101&t=31312

Return to “Welcome to US Fools”