Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to uspaul666,WrongLicence388,CryptoPlankton,Anonymous,Instep, for Donating to support the site

starling freepost for cheques and alternatives

PinkDalek
Lemon Half
Posts: 5687
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:12 pm
Has thanked: 1452 times
Been thanked: 1617 times

Re: starling freepost for cheques and alternatives

#357438

Postby PinkDalek » November 17th, 2020, 5:37 pm

didds wrote:[how can he send a large (for him) cheque to Starling ...


I've now found this https://www.starlingbank.com/docs/Current-Account-Terms-and-Conditions-General-Part.pdf.

Page 3/9 includes:

Payments into your Account ... You can pay cheques into your Account by sending them to us by post at the following address: Starling Operations Team, PO Box 74352, London, EC2P 2QU. You must write your surname and the account number of your Account on the back of the cheque. We will generally process a cheque on the working day that we receive it. However, if for any reason we receive a cheque in the afternoon, this may not be processed until the following working day.

That being one of the addresses mentioned by stevensfo way back.

I'd still use Freepost STARLING. :)

XFool
Lemon Half
Posts: 5289
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 7:21 pm
Been thanked: 501 times

Re: starling freepost for cheques and alternatives

#357441

Postby XFool » November 17th, 2020, 5:47 pm

stevensfo wrote:
swill453 wrote:
didds wrote:Your googling skills are far better than mine obviously Steve :-) many thanks. I'll pass that on.

The fact that there are 2 addresses would ring even more alarm bells with me, that if you try to subvert the system and do things "different" to what's recommended, you're setting yourself up for a fall. Or rather that the cheque will be received by someone who doesn't know what to do with it.

Again, I'd follow the prescribed instructions and be confident everything has a better chance of being fine.
Scott.

If the world has come to this, then I want to get off!

A bank will have staff who know (or should know) exactly what to do with a cheque. Unless I'm mistaken, a cheque usually has strong links with a bank.

No. I think they are correct. Banks may have various addresses and the processing centre may be quite different from their HQ. Sending it somewhere not intended to receive it only introduces more unknowns and delays. Either send it to the FREEPOST address described - or post it back to the insurer.

stevensfo wrote:Personally, I would not like the idea of sending a cheque to 'Freepost XXXX'. I want a specific address to which I know my cheque has been sent. That is pretty basic information and is certainly my policy. If the address truly is 'Freepost Starling' than I do not consider that acceptable business behaviour.

It all used to work back in the day, with pre-addressed envelopes, when my bank was National Giro. :)

XFool
Lemon Half
Posts: 5289
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 7:21 pm
Been thanked: 501 times

Re: starling freepost for cheques and alternatives

#357445

Postby XFool » November 17th, 2020, 5:54 pm

Mike4 wrote:Point of Order...

There is no such thing as "Recorded Delivery", the post office clerk will delight in telling you. There is "Signed For" and a few other similar options, none of which do what you really want, which is to get back the package if they can't get a signature for it. Most revolve around insuring the contents of the package if of high monetary value. No help at all for something rare or important not to be lost.

I've tried using "Signed For" to large organisations in the past and one might as well throw the letter in the bin. A "proof of delivery" notification never materialises on the Royal Mail website when you put the reference number in. I think they just deliver Signed For stuff in the big sack of ordinary letters to big institutions like DVLA, banks etc.

Check! My "Signed For" DVLA licence application is probably still "Awaiting delivery" two+ years later! It always was when I checked online at the time. :lol:

XFool
Lemon Half
Posts: 5289
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 7:21 pm
Been thanked: 501 times

Re: starling freepost for cheques and alternatives

#357446

Postby XFool » November 17th, 2020, 6:02 pm

didds wrote:
stevensfo wrote:I appreciate all that, I really do, and I'm sure that in 99% of cases, the envelopes will reach their destination.

What I have issue with is not knowing exactly which address I'm sending it to and the overall lack of information, and the precedent that this behaviour is setting. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned and like to know where my cheque is actually going to. i.e. an address? A person? Somewhere? Even if over the rainbow? ;)

Exactkly, hence my son's concerns. This payout represents more than a month's salary to him. He cannot "afford" to spend more time sortign out any cock ups becasue other parties break the system for him.

Then, from what you are saying, he seems to need one of those banks that work out of a large stone building on the high street with the work "BANK" carved in the stonework above the windows.

Personally, I stopped using those in about 1969 - as far as I can remember.
Last edited by XFool on November 17th, 2020, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XFool
Lemon Half
Posts: 5289
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 7:21 pm
Been thanked: 501 times

Re: starling freepost for cheques and alternatives

#357448

Postby XFool » November 17th, 2020, 6:05 pm

Lootman wrote:
dealtn wrote:
stevensfo wrote:I appreciate all that, I really do, and I'm sure that in 99% of cases, the envelopes will reach their destination.

What I have issue with is not knowing exactly which address I'm sending it to and the overall lack of information, and the precedent that this behaviour is setting. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned and like to know where my cheque is actually going to. i.e. an address? A person? Somewhere? Even if over the rainbow? ;)

Cue Judy Garland....

Would Starling accept my address as Steve FREEPOST?

if you paid for the service then that could be your mailing address and they would be happy. They would still need your "real address" too but that would be for their money laundering obligations, and similar purposes.

I have gone further than that. Not a single financial institution I do business with knows my residential address. I use a "brass plate" address for all my dealings with them and it has never been a problem. There is no reason for a bank to know where you live, only where they can send a letter. (Possible exception for a home mortgage lender or a home insurer).

But then, we don't all have your 'edgy' lifestyle, Lootman. ;)

Lootman
Lemon Half
Posts: 8320
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 1469 times

Re: starling freepost for cheques and alternatives

#357471

Postby Lootman » November 17th, 2020, 7:47 pm

XFool wrote:
Lootman wrote:
dealtn wrote:if you paid for the service then that could be your mailing address and they would be happy. They would still need your "real address" too but that would be for their money laundering obligations, and similar purposes.

I have gone further than that. Not a single financial institution I do business with knows my residential address. I use a "brass plate" address for all my dealings with them and it has never been a problem. There is no reason for a bank to know where you live, only where they can send a letter. (Possible exception for a home mortgage lender or a home insurer).

But then, we don't all have your 'edgy' lifestyle, Lootman. ;)

Nothing edgy at all, I'm afraid. I am really quite boring.

BUUUUUT, I see no reason for the entire world to know where I live. That is for friends and family only. That is also part of why I never register to vote, but that is taking us (more) off topic.

All that said I have had my financial accounts for a long time, so probably pre-dating the more stringent AML checks they do these days. My original point was more that banks etc. do not seem to have a problem with a customer address that is not where you live, which was the concern another Lemon raised.

didds
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3032
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:04 pm
Has thanked: 1392 times
Been thanked: 467 times

Re: starling freepost for cheques and alternatives

#357477

Postby didds » November 17th, 2020, 8:08 pm

XFool wrote:Then, from what you are saying, he seems to need one of those banks that work out of a large stone building on the high street with the work "BANK" carved in the stonework above the windows.

.



There are towns around here without one!

I've alrerady explained why young adults living in the parental home struggle to open "classic" bank accounts.

didds

Mike4
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1596
Joined: November 24th, 2016, 3:29 am
Has thanked: 252 times
Been thanked: 605 times

Re: starling freepost for cheques and alternatives

#357491

Postby Mike4 » November 17th, 2020, 8:55 pm

Lootman wrote:I have gone further than that. Not a single financial institution I do business with knows my residential address. I use a "brass plate" address for all my dealings with them and it has never been a problem. There is no reason for a bank to know where you live, only where they can send a letter.


Totally agree, and this leads directly into the philosophy of what it means to "live" somewhere. I spent five years living on one of my boats cruising the canal network. What was my "residential address" then? Last year I noticed a house I fancied buying, so I bought it and stopped using an empty rental as my "address" and "moved" in. I still consider myself a boat dweller though, even though I have now taken a mooring 1/4 a mile from my cottage. I cook and sleep on the boat as often as the cottage. I sometimes live on one of the other boats. The edges of where I live are very blurry.

Nothing edgy at all, I'm afraid. I am really quite boring.


You're kidding Shirley!


stevensfo
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1151
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 8:43 am
Has thanked: 667 times
Been thanked: 357 times

Re: starling freepost for cheques and alternatives

#357715

Postby stevensfo » November 18th, 2020, 12:45 pm

Mike4 wrote:
Lootman wrote:I have gone further than that. Not a single financial institution I do business with knows my residential address. I use a "brass plate" address for all my dealings with them and it has never been a problem. There is no reason for a bank to know where you live, only where they can send a letter.


Totally agree, and this leads directly into the philosophy of what it means to "live" somewhere. I spent five years living on one of my boats cruising the canal network. What was my "residential address" then? Last year I noticed a house I fancied buying, so I bought it and stopped using an empty rental as my "address" and "moved" in. I still consider myself a boat dweller though, even though I have now taken a mooring 1/4 a mile from my cottage. I cook and sleep on the boat as often as the cottage. I sometimes live on one of the other boats. The edges of where I live are very blurry.

Nothing edgy at all, I'm afraid. I am really quite boring.


You're kidding Shirley!


I may have mentioned before that, having roots all over the place,we're thinking about what to do with ourselves when we stop work, where to stay, how long etc, and I've been surprised on my travels by how many people I meet who have a nomadic life-style. They'll spend time in the UK, migrate to Portugal, over to USA, to Spain, maybe to Singapore, Australia etc. Mainly retired, but not all. It depends on the work. There's even a website I discovered for people like that: https://nomadgate.com/

I'm really looking forward to being a nomad. With or without a camel. ;)

Steve


Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests