Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

My Barclays Bank account closed

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Re: My Barclays Bank account closed

Postby stevensfo » July 4th, 2022, 2:59 pm

bjmarren wrote:Hi mc2fool,

Once again thank you for the info and the links. You have really helped me over the last month or so and I'm really grateful.
Just to clarify, I haven't actually got a BOS current account, only the credit card that they issued. This was a benefit of becoming a member of the Principle Civil Service Pension Scheme (PCSPS) over 40 years ago and I've had it ever since, together with the Barclays account that has now been closed. I don't know why I couldn't mange to get the IBAN and BIC of BOS from their website as I rummaged around in it for about 30 minutes and didn't find it, but I know I'm not that intuitive most of the time.

I'm still a bit confused about what I can do with my Revolut account. Can I pay my UK credit card bill using Revolut, or can it only be paid using my leva online account with my Bulgarian bank.

Thanks for bearing with me.

Brendan

If your Revolut account has provided you with a UK account number, then the transfer is dead easy and instant - usually. But even with an EU IBAN number, you can still transfer money to your UK accounts. If you do this, transfer a little bit more to make sure that the sterling is sufficient. You may then have your c.c. in credit, but my Lloyds c.c. was about 4 quid in credit for ten years for this reason. Far preferable to paying their ridiculous interest rates!! ;)

Steve

bjmarren
2 Lemon pips

Postby bjmarren » July 4th, 2022, 3:49 pm

pje16 wrote:you can edit it if you're quick enough after posting - within 2-3 mins I find

Thanks for the tip pje 16,

bjmarren
2 Lemon pips

Postby bjmarren » July 4th, 2022, 3:56 pm

stevensfo wrote:

Once again thank you for the info and the links. You have really helped me over the last month or so and I'm really grateful.
Just to clarify, I haven't actually got a BOS current account, only the credit card that they issued. This was a benefit of becoming a member of the Principle Civil Service Pension Scheme (PCSPS) over 40 years ago and I've had it ever since, together with the Barclays account that has now been closed. I don't know why I couldn't mange to get the IBAN and BIC of BOS from their website as I rummaged around in it for about 30 minutes and didn't find it, but I know I'm not that intuitive most of the time.

I'm still a bit confused about what I can do with my Revolut account. Can I pay my UK credit card bill using Revolut, or can it only be paid using my leva online account with my Bulgarian bank.

Brendan

If your Revolut account has provided you with a UK account number, then the transfer is dead easy and instant - usually. But even with an EU IBAN number, you can still transfer money to your UK accounts. If you do this, transfer a little bit more to make sure that the sterling is sufficient. You may then have your c.c. in credit, but my Lloyds c.c. was about 4 quid in credit for ten years for this reason. Far preferable to paying their ridiculous interest rates!! ;)

Steve

Hi Steve,

I was hoping you would come along as you seem to have been using Revolut for a good while now. My Revolut SWIFT IBAN starts with an "LT" if that's any help in identifying if it's a UK account. I assume mine isn't because of how I set the account up, e.g. via my Bulgarian mobile phone.

Brendan

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » July 4th, 2022, 4:09 pm

bjmarren wrote:
stevensfo wrote:

Brendan

Steve

Hi Steve,

I was hoping you would come along as you seem to have been using Revolut for a good while now. My Revolut SWIFT IBAN starts with an "LT" if that's any help in identifying if it's a UK account. I assume mine isn't because of how I set the account up, e.g. via my Bulgarian mobile phone.

Brendan

It is a Lithuanian IBAN. LT. That's where Revolut is based.

I assume that you can open accounts or 'wallets' in loads of currencies. So open one in pounds and exchange euros to pounds. Then see if you can transfer pounds to your account in the UK.

I opened all my accounts before Dec 2021, so the system has probably changed a bit. Dec 2021 was the month when the UK left the EU 100%.

Even if Revolut does not have an actual UK account/sort code, your UK account will have an IBAN number so it should be easy.

Steve

bjmarren
2 Lemon pips

Postby bjmarren » July 4th, 2022, 4:19 pm

stevensfo wrote:
bjmarren wrote:
stevensfo wrote:

Brendan

Steve

Hi Steve,

Brendan

It is a Lithuanian IBAN. LT. That's where Revolut is based.

I assume that you can open accounts or 'wallets' in loads of currencies. So open one in pounds and exchange euros to pounds. Then see if you can transfer pounds to your account in the UK.

I opened all my accounts before Dec 2021, so the system has probably changed a bit. Dec 2021 was the month when the UK left the EU 100%.

Even if Revolut does not have an actual UK account/sort code, your UK account will have an IBAN number so it should be easy.

Steve

Yes, that is what I assumed regarding the LT ref. I have already opened up an account in pounds and will transfer leva in and then transfer between leva and pounds as I know it does that. After that I'll try and transfer using the BOS IBAN and BIC. Theoretically it should work IMO but we will see.

Thanks for your help on this. I'll report back - if you can bear it!

Brendan

bjmarren
2 Lemon pips

Postby bjmarren » July 5th, 2022, 7:53 am

Strange! I transferred funds to my Revolut and then converted them to sterling but when I started the transfer to pay my BOS credit card, it asked me for the sort code and account No for BOS, not the BIC or IBAN. I have them and entered them as the template only allowed for a 6 digit sort code and 8 digit account number but the transfer wasn't accepted, getting a message Account name can't be checked right now. I deleted Mastercard from the account name, leaving only Bank of Scotland but still received the same message. However, it then asked me if I was sure of the beneficiary and if so confirm again, after which it was accepted and I received confirmation the payments was sent! Hoorah! I'll check my BOS credit card account in a couple of days to see if it has gone through and been credited.

Brendan

bjmarren
2 Lemon pips

Postby bjmarren » July 6th, 2022, 7:10 am

Just checked my BOS credit card balance and the Revolut payment has been credited ok. Phew! One less thing to worry about!

Brendan

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » July 6th, 2022, 9:14 am

bjmarren wrote:Just checked my BOS credit card balance and the Revolut payment has been credited ok. Phew! One less thing to worry about!

Brendan

You may want to look into another, similar card, like Monese. Unlike Revolut, they have a separate card for euros and pounds, but as far as I remember, you control both currencies in the same app. The reason is simply that of safety. Murphy's law says that Revolut will block your account just when you really need it and you won't have your passport with you to photograph for them!

Steve

PS Revolut is now an official bank whereas Monese is still an EMI.

bjmarren
2 Lemon pips

Postby bjmarren » July 6th, 2022, 10:21 am

stevensfo wrote:
bjmarren wrote:Just checked my BOS credit card balance and the Revolut payment has been credited ok. Phew! One less thing to worry about!

Brendan

You may want to look into another, similar card, like Monese. Unlike Revolut, they have a separate card for euros and pounds, but as far as I remember, you control both currencies in the same app. The reason is simply that of safety. Murphy's law says that Revolut will block your account just when you really need it and you won't have your passport with you to photograph for them!

Steve

PS Revolut is now an official bank whereas Monese is still an EMI.

Hi Steve,

Thanks, that's a good idea and I'll definitely look into that. Now, just need to provide my pension provider and Barclays with some documents and this nightmare should be over. Charles Stanley are ok about me using an overseas account for my trading account, but they say they charge GBP 25 when making a transfer overseas. I'm looking into setting up a non UK Interactive Investors account, as it allows me to have a joint account, but I'll see how it compares fees wise.

Brendan

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”