Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Bank Account for non-resident.

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
Parky
Lemon Slice

Bank Account for non-resident.

Postby Parky » August 21st, 2022, 7:44 pm

Are there any UK banks left who offer current accounts for non-UK- residents?

xiox

Re: Bank Account for non-resident.

Postby xiox » August 21st, 2022, 8:04 pm

I managed to open one from HSBC after brexit, although I was an existing customer.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » August 21st, 2022, 11:12 pm

In theory yes. In practice it is extremely difficult to meet the id regulations.

Do any of the UK banks have branches in the country where you live? The big ones have branches all over the world, but only in the big cities. Likely you’d have more chance opening an account locally where they’re used to local documents, and you can walk in and show them ID etc. Look them up and give the local branch a ring.

Gryff

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 21st, 2022, 11:15 pm

gryffron wrote:In theory yes. In practice it is extremely difficult to meet the id regulations.

Do any of the UK banks have branches in the country where you live? The big ones have branches all over the world, but only in the big cities. Likely you’d have more chance opening an account locally where they’re used to local documents, and you can walk in and show them ID etc. Look them up and give the local branch a ring.

Yes, the best bets might be either UK banks that are truly international (which is HSBC, and maybe Barclays). Or else banks with branches in the UK that are foreign e.g. Citibank, UBS etc.

This topic comes up a lot and the usual advice is to retain or appropriate a UK address, and then the UK bank will be none the wiser that you may be resident elsewhere. There is a reasonable argument that it is none of their business.

Moderator Message:
The OP (and doubtless others) will of course want to assure themselves that this does not overstep any legal lines, or breach a bank's T&Cs. --MDW1954

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » August 22nd, 2022, 10:42 am

Parky wrote:Are there any UK banks left who offer current accounts for non-UK- residents?

It depends on what you want to do with your account.

Monese, an EMI, were always proud of the fact that will open accounts for anyone, regardless of history or place of residence. Rather like like Revolut, they'll let you open an account and they'll give you both an EU IBAN and UK account no. and sort code.

But the old-fashioned, bricks 'n mortar banks? Nah! World stops at Dover, innit? :(

Steve

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 22nd, 2022, 12:41 pm

Parky wrote:Are there any UK banks left who offer current accounts for non-UK- residents?

You'd really be better off looking on the Expats board for this, indeed you may want to report your post and ask the mods to move the thread there. viewforum.php?f=77

These two threads there may be of particular interest.

viewtopic.php?f=77&t=26611
viewtopic.php?f=77&t=25330

Be warned that most UK banks now require 2 factor authentication for logging into your online account, and that often means you entering a "one-time passcode" they've texted to your UK mobile phone, so even if you get through all the other hoops to open an account you may still need to have a mobile with a UK SIM (and roaming access) to use it. Check first!

gryffron wrote:In theory yes. In practice it is extremely difficult to meet the id regulations.

How does that help? All that'll get Parky is a local account, it won't get them a UK current account in the UK system, i.e. with a UK sort code and account number, in the UK direct debit system, etc.

As you say, most UK banks just won't deal with you unless they can either verify you electronically, using the UK credit reference agencies, and/or see copies/originals of documents they recognise, like UK council tax bill, other UK bank statements, etc, etc. And most just say "UK residents only" anyway.

The non-UK banks that will get you a fully fledged UK bank account (with a UK sort code, etc) are the offshore ones in the crown dependencies, i.e. the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, and they are well familiar with and used to dealing with non-UK proof-of-address type of documents. However, last I looked (quite a while ago admittedly) they all had quite high "relationship balance" requirements, like keeping at least £50K on deposit with them....but it is a while since I looked so do check.

P.S. Topically, I've just received a changes to Ts&Cs letter from the Bank of Scotland, which includes "If you are not longer a UK resident we may have to close your account or offer a different level of service....". Comes into force on 1-Nov, no indication at the moment as to what the "different level of service" might be.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 22nd, 2022, 1:01 pm

mc2fool wrote:Be warned that most UK banks now require 2 factor authentication for logging into your online account, and that often means you entering a "one-time passcode" they've texted to your UK mobile phone, so even if you get through all the other hoops to open an account you may still need to have a mobile with a UK SIM (and roaming access) to use it. Check first!

I would imagine that most people who have lived all their life in the UK, and are now planning to relocate elsewhere, would have had a UK phone number for years that they will not want to suddenly abandon. So in many cases they would simply keep that phone, and get a new phone in the destination country for use there.

And the chances are that you will need that UK phone for 2FA for any other UK financial services that you wish to continue to use e.g. SIPPs, ISAs, brokerage accounts, paypal, credit cards etc. Unless of course you are moving your finances 100% to the new country in which case you won't need a UK bank account anyway.

In this kind of situation it might not be a matter of opening a new UK bank account at all, but rather retaining the one you already have, accessible by that UK phone as needed.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 22nd, 2022, 1:07 pm

Lootman wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Be warned that most UK banks now require 2 factor authentication for logging into your online account, and that often means you entering a "one-time passcode" they've texted to your UK mobile phone, so even if you get through all the other hoops to open an account you may still need to have a mobile with a UK SIM (and roaming access) to use it. Check first!

I would imagine that most people who have lived all their life in the UK, and are now planning to relocate elsewhere, would have had a UK phone number for years that they will not want to suddenly abandon. So in many cases they would simply keep that phone, and get a new phone in the destination country for use there.

And the chances are that you will need that UK phone for 2FA for any other UK financial services that you wish to continue to use e.g. SIPPs, ISAs, brokerage accounts, paypal, credit cards etc. Unless of course you are moving your finances 100% to the new country in which case you won't need a UK bank account anyway.

In this kind of situation it might not be a matter of opening a new UK bank account at all, but rather retaining the one you already have, accessible by that UK phone as needed.

I would imagine so too -- for people in that situation -- but Parky offers scant information about their situation in their question, so it was worth a "heads up" on the matter, especially as it appears they are asking about opening a new UK account.

xiox

Postby xiox » August 22nd, 2022, 1:24 pm

Lootman wrote:I would imagine that most people who have lived all their life in the UK, and are now planning to relocate elsewhere, would have had a UK phone number for years that they will not want to suddenly abandon. So in many cases they would simply keep that phone, and get a new phone in the destination country for use there.

SIM cards are often disabled if they roam for too long outside the original country, so it's very difficult to keep a UK number.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 22nd, 2022, 1:36 pm

xiox wrote:
Lootman wrote:I would imagine that most people who have lived all their life in the UK, and are now planning to relocate elsewhere, would have had a UK phone number for years that they will not want to suddenly abandon. So in many cases they would simply keep that phone, and get a new phone in the destination country for use there.

SIM cards are often disabled if they roam for too long outside the original country, so it's very difficult to keep a UK number.

Can you point to a reference to support that claim?

What period is "too long"? I have been away for several months at a time, and not had a problem. Obviously you have to continue to pay for the service, which presumably is the kind of thing that the OP wishes to have a UK bank account for.

Moreover if you are only using your UK phone for occasional transactions that require 2FA, then you would not need to have roaming activated very much at all. The phone could be switched off most of the time, or used only for wifi. And typically there are no extra charges for merely receiving texts whilst roaming.

xiox

Postby xiox » August 22nd, 2022, 2:37 pm

Lootman wrote:Can you point to a reference to support that claim?

Well, I've read reports on reddit that giffgaff cut off people. It's in their terms and conditions that roaming is only supported for short periods: https://www.giffgaff.com/terms (under fair use). O2 also say that it is against their fair use policy (https://www.o2.co.uk/roamfairuse), but they don't mention cut offs. Likely a careful reading of the terms of conditions is required, particular as the companies are changing their roaming policies after brexit.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » August 22nd, 2022, 2:53 pm

xiox wrote:

I've had mine for approx 20 years. I use it to phone when I'm in UK, approx every 6 months, and keep it active by phoning it occasionally.

With a bit of thought, it's not difficult.

Steve

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”