Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

NS&I rates

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: NS&I rates

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 21st, 2020, 10:41 am

Ouch
Having just dealt with Nationwide (moved ISA funds to Paragon @ 0.85%) I now have to deal with NSANDI :(

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » September 21st, 2020, 12:27 pm

Presumably there will be fewer prizes for those of us who hold Premium Bonds.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 21st, 2020, 12:28 pm

Mike88 wrote:Presumably there will be fewer prizes for those of us who hold Premium Bonds.

Yes, prize fund rate down to 1% from 1.4% viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4337&p=341654#p341654

Scott.

Chrysalis
Lemon Slice

Postby Chrysalis » September 21st, 2020, 12:33 pm

mike wrote:Good grief :o

The rates on all products are being slashed from 24 November

eg The rate on Income Bonds is being reduced from 1.16% to 0.01%, Direct Saver from 0.90 to 0.10%

https://www.nsandi.com/our-products

Strange, HMG need funds at the moment, and this will just get people to move their money. Time to look for something else !

‘Income bonds’ should surely now breach the Trade Descriptions Act. 0.01%!!

digitaria
Lemon Pip

Postby digitaria » September 21st, 2020, 12:47 pm

eg The rate on Income Bonds is being reduced from 1.16% to 0.01%, Direct Saver from 0.90 to 0.10%

Strange, HMG need funds at the moment, and this will just get people to move their money. Time to look for something else !

Indeed. I had thought that, in a time of particular fiscal need, a modicum of intelligence was being exhibited by the powers that be, in assembling a warchest of cash from savers, by offering marginally market-leading rates. That policy now apparently blown out of the water.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » September 21st, 2020, 12:49 pm

Such as what? There doesn't seem to be anything better. I was just about to open an NS&I savings account now that Santander's rate is almost nothing and they charge £5 per month but I won't now. I should have thought the govt. would have needed our deposits. Sounds like they will take the wealth tax route instead in which case they don't need to pay interest..

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » September 21st, 2020, 1:06 pm

I will be putting my money from income bonds into my other existing savings accounts. Most of them cannot be opened by new savers but some are currently paying around 1%.....which is better than nothing.

There are some regular savers still paying 1.5% - 2.75%

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » September 21st, 2020, 1:39 pm

Bouleversee wrote:

Such as what? There doesn't seem to be anything better. I was just about to open an NS&I savings account now that Santander's rate is almost nothing and they charge £5 per month but I won't now. I should have thought the govt. would have needed our deposits. Sounds like they will take the wealth tax route instead in which case they don't need to pay interest..

They used to hang robbers!

The banks and other lenders will be rubbing their hands with the ability to increase their profit margins and bonusses - credit card rates ~20%, overdraft rates ~40% all financed by savers money for nothing!

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » September 21st, 2020, 4:31 pm

supremetwo wrote:The banks and other lenders will be rubbing their hands with the ability to increase their profit margins and bonusses - credit card rates ~20%, overdraft rates ~40% all financed by savers money for nothing!

I think you need to have a look at how profitable banks are. Interest rates this close to zero really hurt bank's margins, and that's before any provisions for bad debts etc.

Unpopular as it may be you really shouldn't expect to get any interest with base rate here. The costs of providing current accounts are quite substantial and very few are willing to pay for it. Savings accounts are less costly but savers are having to cross subsidise other bank customers.

Parky
Lemon Slice

Postby Parky » September 22nd, 2020, 8:28 am

The government is probably right to discourage saving at the moment and get all that money circulating in the economy, so get out and spend, all you NS&I customers!

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » September 22nd, 2020, 8:33 am

Maybe they have just hoovered up all they want. Not only all the accounts slashed as well as Junior ISAs - premium bond 'effective' rate of return has fallen substantially with less prizes against a back drop of increased bond holdings.

The knock-on impact to other banking institutions will now play out. We have already seen Marcus after its initial flourish backing out. My 1 year bond with them matures1 October and will be looking for new homes for a fair amount of cash from them and NSI in Oct/Nov.

Fortunately the 'bank of mum and dad' is paying divis as son and family looking to move into larger place in London in next few months. That's a relief. :roll:

T7

mike
Lemon Slice

Postby mike » September 22nd, 2020, 10:15 am

Parky wrote:The government is probably right to discourage saving at the moment and get all that money circulating in the economy, so get out and spend, all you NS&I customers!

terminal7 wrote:Maybe they have just hoovered up all they want.

The Times story this morning tends to confirm both of these observations.
NS&I, which is backed by the Treasury, said that it had no choice but to act because savers had put away billions more than usual during the Covid-19 lockdown, which left it in danger of breaching its government-mandated funding limit for the year.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/ns-amp-i-rates-big-squeeze-hits-25m-savers-and-premium-bond-holders-r56jb0bfq (Paywalled after the first 4 paragraphs)

And from the Guardian
NS&I is set a financing target by the Treasury each year. This was raised from £6bn to £35bn after the pandemic hit to help the government pay for its crisis measures, but between April and June £19.9bn flowed into accounts and demand has remained similarly high over the summer.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/sep/21/nsi-savings-rates-premium-bonds-prizes-direct-saver-investment-account-isas

But how many are going to leave their money in NS&I ? A tidy sum of £100,000 will pay .... drum-roll .... £10 per annum at 0.01% in the Income Bonds. Surely there will be an outgoing flood.

[Edited for typos]

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » September 22nd, 2020, 11:06 am

I think the article in The Times also said that the banks would follow suit (negative interest rates coming up?) so people with large sums to invest will be up a gum tree unless they wish to gamble on the stock exchange and risk losing.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 22nd, 2020, 11:15 am

Bouleversee wrote:I think the article in The Times also said that the banks would follow suit (negative interest rates coming up?) so people with large sums to invest will be up a gum tree unless they wish to gamble on the stock exchange and risk losing.

Or alternatively, invest in the stock market for higher income and long term gain, while accepting the risk of short term reduction in capital.

;-)

Scott.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 22nd, 2020, 11:26 am

I'm looking at ERNS (again)
https://www.ishares.com/uk/individual/e ... ugh=true#/
Obviously not 'risk free'...

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » September 22nd, 2020, 11:35 am

Bouleversee wrote:I think the article in The Times also said that the banks would follow suit (negative interest rates coming up?) so people with large sums to invest will be up a gum tree unless they wish to gamble on the stock exchange and risk losing.

People with large sums to invest don't put money into bank accounts or national savings accounts. They are "savers". "Investors" are something completely different. Savers with large (or indeed small) sums to allocate may have few choices that meet their objectives, but that is a different statement.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » September 22nd, 2020, 12:52 pm

swill453 wrote:

Or alternatively, invest in the stock market for higher income and long term gain, while accepting the risk of short term reduction in capital.

;-)

Scott.

Not all of us have a long term left and I am pretty sure many of my holdings are more likely to go bust than recover in my lifetime, if at all. As for the higher income, that's fine till Covid comes along and many dividends disappear altogether. There comes a time in your life when you no longer want to risk all your capital and may need access to large sums of cash for care/help of one sort or another.

Having seen so many dividends axed, deferred or reduced and so many jobs lost, I should have thought most people, especially the elderly, would want to have quite a large buffer in cash which could be easily accessed. And don't forget that there are plenty of people who have done quite well with their savings when interest rates were high but know nothing about the stock market and it would be dangerous for them to start dabbling at a time when it is even more difficult than usual to guess how share prices will move and what income they will produce.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » September 22nd, 2020, 1:33 pm

dealtn wrote:

People with large sums to invest don't put money into bank accounts or national savings accounts. They are "savers". "Investors" are something completely different. Savers with large (or indeed small) sums to allocate may have few choices that meet their objectives, but that is a different statement.

If you want to nit-pick, I call savings what you put aside from your income which can be invested in any way you think will give the best return till you want to draw an income from the capital sum thereby accumulated which can still be invested in whatever way suits your then circumstances best and gives easy access. I am no longer a saver. I am a spender and a giver but I don't like losing capital or income and I seem to have done both recently. A lot of people have gone entirely into cash when markets started to fall and bought back into shares when prices started to recover. Are they savers or investors? Does it really matter?

I shall hang on to my NS&I index-linked certificates as CPI might produce a better rate than any savings account but otherwise try to find time to spend money on house improvements/maintenance/equipment, perhaps pay for Uni fees or other things needed by the family, donate to charities etc. Not having had a holiday for 12 years, I had planned to splurge in that direction but that is now out of the question. What I don't have any enthusiasm for is buying more shares to keep track of.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”