Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Faster Payments Fiasco

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Re: Faster Payments Fiasco

Postby stevensfo » September 1st, 2020, 9:26 am

staffordian wrote:It may be an unfashionable choice, but I have been with the Co-op Bank for the best part of four decades and never had a problem or error. And they currently give me £50 per year for operating the account online and using my debit card a few times a month.

Given the many issues which have affected it, especially over the last ten years or so, perhaps that is something of a miracle, but I've no intention of swapping unless they end free banking.

Likewise, I've been with Smile, part of the Co-op bank for 25 years, and they've been brilliant. Best website of the lot and friendliest staff. Compare with Santander who changed the log in procedure but never told me and Barclays who seem to employ those androids too dim to be assimilated by the Borg.

Steve

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » September 1st, 2020, 7:18 pm

stevensfo wrote:...and Barclays who seem to employ those androids too dim to be assimilated by the Borg.

Steve

In my experience, front line call centre staff at Barclays live in a country where the average man on the street has no need for a direct debit or a standing order, and only uses their debit card to withdraw their wages on pay day.
Therefore they start with an innate disadvantage in that the only knowledge of what they are servicing is their script and a folder of notes.
Combine this with a stubborn refusal to put you on call and say "Hey! Supervisor! Can you help me, I'm in above my head", a capacity for making things up on the fly to "make you feel happy", and a refusal to accept that you have grounds for a complaint and you are on a hiding to nowhere.

Asking "Can you put me through to someone in Northampton?" is the usual fix.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 2nd, 2020, 7:23 am

stevensfo wrote:
staffordian wrote:It may be an unfashionable choice, but I have been with the Co-op Bank for the best part of four decades and never had a problem or error. And they currently give me £50 per year for operating the account online and using my debit card a few times a month.

Given the many issues which have affected it, especially over the last ten years or so, perhaps that is something of a miracle, but I've no intention of swapping unless they end free banking.

Likewise, I've been with Smile, part of the Co-op bank for 25 years, and they've been brilliant. Best website of the lot and friendliest staff. Compare with Santander who changed the log in procedure but never told me and Barclays who seem to employ those androids too dim to be assimilated by the Borg.

Steve

I have both Smile and First Direct accounts, and have done since both started, more or less. They are both good, but I'd give First Direct the egde at the moment as they are easy to contact on the phone. Smile used to be, but now then became almost impossible since they changed their system to discourage it.

First Direct did have disastrous change of website appearance and navigation about a year back*, which had me threatening to leave, but I've learned to live with it :roll:

*I suspect this was related to fashionable people who want to check their account on the phone, so not an ideal appearance on a PC.

OT: nice to see hear of another Trekker. I'm still working through old Next Generation episodes I recorded. It's a sad thing that with all the talent around Star Trek can still offer better viewing than a whole evening of current dross. Mainly, I guess that's due to C-19 stifling activity.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » September 2nd, 2020, 8:25 am

I also am with SMILE and have been for years
absolutely no problems...yet
each time I have rung I get through and am helped.

am also with CAHOOT...which again has been excellent

unlike most other organisations who are all just telling about virus delays and 'unusually high calls so wait might be longer than usual

'''MIGHT'' ??????????

and like so many others I have dumped my Nationwide accounts

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 2nd, 2020, 8:49 am

mutantpoodle wrote:am also with CAHOOT...which again has been excellent

Other than now requiring a OTP to your mobile to log in, every time. :(

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » September 2nd, 2020, 12:02 pm

well i agree needing a OTP is a small inconvenience
but its not for every log in...its when you want to transact...as opposed to checking balances etc

I have been able to live with that...........now that I have learnt (slowly) how to use my sons old cast off mobile

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 2nd, 2020, 12:21 pm

mutantpoodle wrote:well i agree needing a OTP is a small inconvenience
but its not for every log in...its when you want to transact...as opposed to checking balances etc

Sorry, are you saying your Cahoot login process does not now have three screens, the first asking for your username, the second asking for your password and security number, and the third sending your mobile an OTP that you then have to enter?

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » September 2nd, 2020, 1:09 pm

Cahoot is a brand of Santander and uses the same payments infrastructure.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » September 2nd, 2020, 4:50 pm

yes now appears needed to have OPT
might have been my mistake
apologies

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 2nd, 2020, 5:09 pm

mutantpoodle wrote:yes now appears needed to have OPT
might have been my mistake
apologies

Ok, not just me then. ;) Could you just try something please ... having logged in once with the OTP needed, is it then needed again on subsequent logins from the same PC for you?

At least one of my other banks (TSB) requires an OTP the first time you log in from a particular PC but then doesn't require one for any future logins from that PC. I did wonder if cahoot had the same but it was somehow not remembering me, or if, indeed, it requires the OTP every time for everybody. (Yes, I've tried faffing with cookies, IP blockers, etc)

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » September 3rd, 2020, 7:55 am

Ok, not just me then. ;) Could you just try something please ... having logged in once with the OTP needed, is it then needed again on subsequent logins from the same PC for you?

At least one of my other banks (TSB) requires an OTP the first time you log in from a particular PC but then doesn't require one for any future logins from that PC. I did wonder if cahoot had the same but it was somehow not remembering me, or if, indeed, it requires the OTP every time for everybody. (Yes, I've tried faffing with cookies, IP blockers, etc)[/quote]

yes OTP required each time

frankly I would rather this be the case as at some point my computer will be replaced/dumped/or whatever so am glad a new OTP is needed each time

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”