Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Text message from bank I do not use

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
langley59
Lemon Slice

Text message from bank I do not use

Postby langley59 » November 2nd, 2020, 10:24 am

I received a text message to my mobile phone yesterday purportedly from HSBC stating that a new payment was attempted from a new device. I do not bank with HSBC and never have in the past. Could this be indicative of an attempted fraud? I have tried to contact HSBC via their website and by phone to no avail due to the usual excuses about being short staffed due to you know what.

Darka
Lemon Slice

Re: Text message from bank I do not use

Postby Darka » November 2nd, 2020, 10:29 am

langley59 wrote:I received a text message to my mobile phone yesterday purportedly from HSBC stating that a new payment was attempted from a new device. I do not bank with HSBC and never have in the past. Could this be indicative of an attempted fraud? I have tried to contact HSBC via their website and by phone to no avail due to the usual excuses about being short staffed due to you know what.

Yes, it looks like a phishing attempt, just delete it - I get these all the time from ebay, etc.

FanciThat

Postby FanciThat » November 2nd, 2020, 10:43 am

Yes, it will be attempted fraud, I received one the other day, purportedly from Halifax. When I googled Halifax Fraud online there was a number to forward the text to, plus the number the text came from , everything helps. Couldn't find a similar thing for HSBC, but this is their security centre page

https://www.hsbc.co.uk/help/security-ce ... ed-a-text/

Cheers, FT

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 2nd, 2020, 11:19 am

langley59 wrote:I received a text message to my mobile phone yesterday purportedly from HSBC stating that a new payment was attempted from a new device. I do not bank with HSBC and never have in the past. Could this be indicative of an attempted fraud? I have tried to contact HSBC via their website and by phone to no avail due to the usual excuses about being short staffed due to you know what.

I wouldn't have thought so unless the message exhorted you to do something fishy, like click a link or something.

Was it just telling you about this attempted payment or did it ask you to do something about it? Is so, what?

langley59
Lemon Slice

Postby langley59 » November 2nd, 2020, 11:36 am

Mike4 wrote:

I wouldn't have thought so unless the message exhorted you to do something fishy, like click a link or something.

Was it just telling you about this attempted payment or did it ask you to do something about it? Is so, what?

It asked me to click on a link if I had not attempted to make the payment.

It frustrates me that I have been unable to contact HSBC at all despite trying both online and hanging on the phone until it went dead.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 2nd, 2020, 12:02 pm

langley59 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

It frustrates me that I have been unable to contact HSBC at all despite trying both online and hanging on the phone until it went dead.

Bound to be a scam then. A genuine text would have just advised you to log onto your banking app and contact them via that, I would say.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 2nd, 2020, 12:05 pm

Oops forgot to say, no point in telling HSBC about it. Firstly they'll be getting told 20,000 times per day, and secondly there is naff-all they can do about it anyway.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » November 2nd, 2020, 12:16 pm

Mike4 wrote:
langley59 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

Bound to be a scam then. A genuine text would have just advised you to log onto your banking app and contact them via that, I would say.

Not so fast, Mike!

A while back I had a suspicious looking text message, apparently from my bank, saying that they had detected unusual activity on my online banking and asking me to call the number in the text.

And when I tried to log into online banking, I couldn't.

I called my bank - from the number on the back of my debit card, not the number in the text - and it turned out to be genuine! So, even the genuine texts contain phone numbers to call. That does muddy the waters a bit!

I had been bouncing around the online banking site the previous day looking for something and that had triggered a suspicious activity alert. On explaining this, my access was reinstated.

Watis

Gan020
Lemon Slice

Postby Gan020 » November 2nd, 2020, 4:45 pm

It's a scam. Don't bother spending any more time and effort over it.

What suprises me more is that this must be your first message of this type. Count yourself lucky.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » November 2nd, 2020, 5:09 pm

Watis wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
langley59 wrote:It asked me to click on a link if I had not attempted to make the payment.

Not so fast, Mike!

A while back I had a suspicious looking text message, apparently from my bank, saying that they had detected unusual activity on my online banking and asking me to call the number in the text.

And when I tried to log into online banking, I couldn't.

I called my bank - from the number on the back of my debit card, not the number in the text - and it turned out to be genuine! So, even the genuine texts contain phone numbers to call. That does muddy the waters a bit!

I had been bouncing around the online banking site the previous day looking for something and that had triggered a suspicious activity alert. On explaining this, my access was reinstated.

Watis

The OP has clarified that the message included a link to click to report the payment - not a number to call. I would say that *any* text with a link to 'login' to a website should be ignored - or at least checked by alternative routes.

langley59
Lemon Slice

Postby langley59 » November 5th, 2020, 5:17 pm

A further text message received today purportedly from HSBC, this time from a different phone number, therefore confirming its a fraud in my view.

Gan020
Lemon Slice

Postby Gan020 » November 6th, 2020, 7:41 am

Welcome to my world. I get about one a month and so does my wife.

The most challenging one to avoid is the HMRC equivalent when you get a text saying you are due a refund especially if you are really due a refund and have been waiting months for it.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”