Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

starling freepost for cheques and alternatives

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
AF62
Lemon Quarter

Re: starling freepost for cheques and alternatives

Postby AF62 » November 17th, 2020, 2:48 pm

stevensfo wrote:
Well, unless things have changed for the worse, there should be a proper address written, not just "Freepost STARLING"

For lots of large companies there isn’t a ‘real’ address but the postcode is just an allocated cage in the sorting office.

I had dealings some years ago with a company who decided they needed to send some paperwork to a large government department urgently and organised a motorcycle courier to drive from one of the country to the other to do so. It was only when the courier arrived in the postal town on the address did they realise that there was no office to actually deliver the envelope to.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 17th, 2020, 3:07 pm

AF62 wrote:
stevensfo wrote:
Well, unless things have changed for the worse, there should be a proper address written, not just "Freepost STARLING"

For lots of large companies there isn’t a ‘real’ address but the postcode is just an allocated cage in the sorting office.

I had dealings some years ago with a company who decided they needed to send some paperwork to a large government department urgently and organised a motorcycle courier to drive from one of the country to the other to do so. It was only when the courier arrived in the postal town on the address did they realise that there was no office to actually deliver the envelope to.

But this just has "Freepost STARLING". Where is this postcode that you mention?

I have never seen an address like this. For a Bank, this would surely start ringing alarm bells, no?

Steve

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » November 17th, 2020, 3:23 pm

stevensfo wrote:
AF62 wrote:
stevensfo wrote:

But this just has "Freepost STARLING". Where is this postcode that you mention?

I have never seen an address like this. For a Bank, this would surely start ringing alarm bells, no?

Steve

No - because it is a new service from Royal Mail - https://www.royalmail.com/business/mail ... epost-name

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 17th, 2020, 3:30 pm

stevensfo wrote:But this just has "Freepost STARLING". Where is this postcode that you mention?

Steve

My reading of AF62's post is that while we are seeking a street address with a physcial building and a door with somebody inside it, the reality AF62 perceives is that having an address with a postciode doesnt always translate to said physical and human infrastructure.

WRT the address only being "Freepost STARLING"...

that is it

https://help.starlingbank.com/hc/en-us/ ... -a-cheque-
"Cheques over £500 - Must be sent via post only

To post your cheque just pop it in an envelope addressed to 'Freepost STARLING' (no stamp required)."

Amd my son's concern being it seems that gaining a PoP/registered delivery for FREEPOST addresses is not possible. so if he sends the cheque and it disappears it just opens up a can of worms. having already spent two years trying to communicate with an insurance company that have finally paid out and ignored his request to BACs the payment.

Which brings us full circle back top the OP!

:-)

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 17th, 2020, 3:41 pm

I appreciate all that, I really do, and I'm sure that in 99% of cases, the envelopes will reach their destination.

What I have issue with is not knowing exactly which address I'm sending it to and the overall lack of information, and the precedent that this behaviour is setting. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned and like to know where my cheque is actually going to. i.e. an address? A person? Somewhere? Even if over the rainbow? ;)

Cue Judy Garland....

Would Starling accept my address as Steve FREEPOST?

Steve

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 17th, 2020, 3:43 pm

didds wrote:
stevensfo wrote:But this just has "Freepost STARLING". Where is this postcode that you mention?

My reading of AF62's post is that while we are seeking a street address with a physcial building and a door with somebody inside it, the reality AF62 perceives is that having an address with a postciode doesnt always translate to said physical and human infrastructure.

I have always had a policy of only dealing with businesses where I could visit their physical premises if at all possible. It is hard to ignore someone who is stood or sat right in front of you.

There was one time I was being given the run around by a mortgage lender, and I discovered the office building and floor of the woman who was avoiding me. I managed to get inside the building and up to her floor, and then wandered around until I saw her nameplate on her office. I knocked, entered and introduced myself. The look on her face was priceless and I got my mortgage on time.

But I have noticed that businesses increasingly want to hide where their people work. Perhaps this is to avoid exactly that situation, or else to save costs. This "FREEPOST" thing seems like another example of that - they actually do not want you to know where they are.

If it were me I would go to a bank branch and use this cheque to open an account. It can always be closed later if needed, although personally I would close the Starling one instead.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » November 17th, 2020, 3:45 pm

stevensfo wrote:I appreciate all that, I really do, and I'm sure that in 99% of cases, the envelopes will reach their destination.

What I have issue with is not knowing exactly which address I'm sending it to and the overall lack of information, and the precedent that this behaviour is setting. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned and like to know where my cheque is actually going to. i.e. an address? A person? Somewhere? Even if over the rainbow? ;)

Cue Judy Garland....

Steve

if you paid for the service then that could be your mailing address and they would be happy. They would still need your "real address" too but that would be for their money laundering obligations, and similar purposes.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 17th, 2020, 3:46 pm

stevensfo wrote:I appreciate all that, I really do, and I'm sure that in 99% of cases, the envelopes will reach their destination.

Exactkly, hence my son's concerns. This payout represents more than a month's salary to him. He cannot "afford" to spend more time sortign out any cock ups becasue other parties break the system for him.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 17th, 2020, 3:49 pm

dealtn wrote:

Cue Judy Garland....

if you paid for the service then that could be your mailing address and they would be happy. They would still need your "real address" too but that would be for their money laundering obligations, and similar purposes.

I have gone further than that. Not a single financial institution I do business with knows my residential address. I use a "brass plate" address for all my dealings with them and it has never been a problem. There is no reason for a bank to know where you live, only where they can send a letter. (Possible exception for a home mortgage lender or a home insurer).

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 17th, 2020, 3:54 pm

didds wrote:Exactkly, hence my son's concerns. This payout represents more than a month's salary to him. He cannot "afford" to spend more time sortign out any cock ups becasue other parties break the system for him.

He's far more likely to cause a cock up by not using the method he's instructed to.

Scott.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 17th, 2020, 3:55 pm

Lootman wrote:I have always had a policy of only dealing with businesses where I could visit their physical premises if at all possible. It is hard to ignore someone who is stood or sat right in front of you.

You can train your staff to see off customers trying to contact the customer.

As I discovered when my Virgin internet connection had failed (yet again) and, being unable to contact them by phone or online, tried what I naïvely supposed to be the last resort contact of physically taking myself to one of their high street shops. The man there was clearly not just unhelpful, he'd had training in seeing off customers.

I'd take Freepost Starling over that experience any day.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 17th, 2020, 4:09 pm

Lootman wrote:If it were me I would go to a bank branch and use this cheque to open an account. It can always be closed later if needed, although personally I would close the Starling one instead.

If only banks worked like they did in the 1970s. Opening huigh street bank accounts when you dont have a utility bill etc etc etc in your name is really difficult. Which is why banks like Starling etc win with those living in the parental home with nothing printed with an address on it that is "acceptable" possibly. To open a starliong account this si what you need

Personal current account

A smartphone (and signal)
Valid photo ID such as a passport or UK driving licence
About 5 minutes of your time.

Job done. There are no overdrafts so you can only spend what you have (or bounce!). No bells and whistles to be "sold". Ive got one too - its brilliant.

All the other stuff of course assuming there IS a high street bank to go and open an account with - a town 6 miles from here has just one now still open, and that is due to close in the short to medium term.

didds

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 17th, 2020, 4:15 pm

didds wrote:
Lootman wrote:If it were me I would go to a bank branch and use this cheque to open an account. It can always be closed later if needed, although personally I would close the Starling one instead.

If only banks worked like they did in the 1970s. Opening huigh street bank accounts when you dont have a utility bill etc etc etc in your name is really difficult. Which is why banks like Starling etc win with those living in the parental home with nothing printed with an address on it that is "acceptable" possibly. To open a starliong account this si what you need

Personal current account

A smartphone (and signal)
Valid photo ID such as a passport or UK driving licence
About 5 minutes of your time.

Job done. There are no overdrafts so you can only spend what you have (or bounce!). No bells and whistles to be "sold". Ive got one too - its brilliant.

That is interesting. So their competitive advantage is that they can bypass all those pesky anti money laundering rules and procedures?

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 17th, 2020, 4:21 pm

swill453 wrote:
didds wrote:Exactkly, hence my son's concerns. This payout represents more than a month's salary to him. He cannot "afford" to spend more time sortign out any cock ups becasue other parties break the system for him.

He's far more likely to cause a cock up by not using the method he's instructed to.

Scott.

I do follow that Scott. But if something goes wrong with "Freepost STARLING" - what then?

where IS "Freepost STARLING".

Or more to the point and acceopting that "will" work ... you cannot get a PoP/signed delivery for a FREEPOST address. which seems the simplest provision to assuage any concerns? With whatever level of compensation you require to pay for, wther its £20 (poP), £50 (signed for) or <something larger> for £26.

meanwhile you CAN get a signed delivery arrangeemnt for a physcial address at a post office etc

its getting the ends koined up really is the real concern I suppose.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 17th, 2020, 4:23 pm

Lootman wrote:

That is interesting. So their competitive advantage is that they can bypass all those pesky anti money laundering rules and procedures?

I guess youd have to ask the FSA about that, but presumably so. Becasue this bank - and multiple others like it - are not unusual now

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 17th, 2020, 4:26 pm

didds wrote:I do follow that Scott. But if something goes wrong with "Freepost STARLING" - what then?

where IS "Freepost STARLING".

Or more to the point and acceopting that "will" work ... you cannot get a PoP/signed delivery for a FREEPOST address. which seems the simplest provision to assuage any concerns?

meanwhile you VAN get a signed delivery arrangeemnt for a physcial address at a post office etc

its getting the ends koined up really is the real concern I suppose.

Freeport STARLING is the low cost way of Starling bank being able to take delivery of bulk sacks of post from the Royal Mail. They can only provide the service they do by whittling their costs down to the bone.

By forcing your letter outside this system and demanding that a human being provide an ink signature for it is frankly asking for trouble.

Scott.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » November 17th, 2020, 4:57 pm

Moderator Message:
As mentioned upthread, this topic is straying beyond the scope of DAK. In order to facilitate continued discussion, I am moving this to Bank Accounts etc. (chas49)

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 17th, 2020, 5:01 pm

Thanks Chas.

FTR we now seem to have an answer to the DAK which in effect was (albeit priobably badly worded)

how can he send a large (for him) cheque to Starling with a signed delivery.

he has an answer.

the rest I agree is worth moving :-) and thanks all for your advcie and thoughts.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 17th, 2020, 5:14 pm

didds wrote:[FTR we now seem to have an answer to the DAK which in effect was (albeit priobably badly worded)

how can he send a large (for him) cheque to Starling with a signed delivery.

he has an answer.

If that is the course he wishes to take, let us know how it goes.

I'm unsure which answer you mean but if Royal Mail 'Signed For', have you seen?:

https://www.royalmail.com/sending/uk/signed-for-1st-class

Please note

Due to the current coronavirus situation, we're no longer asking the recipient to sign for items delivered on or after Saturday 14 March 2020.

The recipient's name and confirmation of delivery can still be viewed at http://www.royalmail.com/track-your-item

Find out more at http://www.royalmail.com/coronavirus

He may enjoy track your item.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 17th, 2020, 5:27 pm

Lootman wrote:That is interesting. So their competitive advantage is that they can bypass all those pesky anti money laundering rules and procedures?

Their competitive advantage that drew me was a mastercard that's a clear "best buy" for use abroad. No charges on cash or purchases, and best exchange rates.

Then came covid, and I haven't travelled further than I can easily cycle there-and-back since BC. The only "abroad" I can do now is across the Tamar. :evil: And just to cap it, the in-credit interest rate (another once-competitive advantage) is now about 0.00000000005%.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”