Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

starling freepost for cheques and alternatives

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
didds
Lemon Half

starling freepost for cheques and alternatives

Postby didds » November 17th, 2020, 8:59 am

My son had finally been paid out £1900 for an accident he was involved in two years ago (rear ended at 70 mph on a mortorway)

Despite requesting a BACS tranfer the pay out has come from the insurance company as a cheque.

He cant face chasing them for several weeks or months again for them to BACs it (and I cynically suspect its been done as a cheque so they could reclaim it for whatever reasons down the line but that's another story..)

His bank account is with Starling. He cannot pay in the cheque over a counter anywhere. He cannot pay it in via his phone app as it is > £500.

He has to mail it in - so far so good.

the address is FREEPOST. Googling indicates a huge discrepancy in what people have found/been told to be regarding proof of posting, and insurance for FREEPOST addresses. Even PoP only insures for £20 - IF it really DOES cover FREEPOST addresses.

So my DAK are ..

* he feels nervous about sending a two year hard fought £1900 cheque to " Freepost STARLING"... not cos its will get stolen particularly but if it goes missing how does he ever chase that up?

* has anybody here used the freepost starling cheque service multiple times successfully to indicate it DOES work (for some peace of mind - obviously each time there is a risk etc)

* has anyone any definitive RM link regarding insuring such a FREEPOST addresseed letter? Yes - he'd insure it for £1900 (obvious caveats) - to avoid any future hassle getting the payout repeated etc etc

* any other suggestions about paying in this cheque to any account - including possibly opening a new account that doesn't require your great-grandmother's inside leg measurement and midwife at birth's signature in triplicate ?

cheers

didds

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Re: starling freepost for cheqes and alternatives

Postby AF62 » November 17th, 2020, 9:15 am

The 'benefits' of dealing with a challenger bank that cuts costs by not offering the full range of services!

Anyway, even if your son did send the cheque by Royal Mail Special Delivery which he would have to do if he wanted cover as that covers valuables (although it would need an additional premium as that only covers up to £500), would they pay out if the cheque didn't arrive?

Wouldn't they simply suggest your son go back to the insurance company and ask them to cancel the cheque and reissue a new one.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: starling freepost for cheques and alternatives

Postby bungeejumper » November 17th, 2020, 9:39 am

Maybe I'm just a bright-eyed optimist, but I wouldn't reckon a bank's chances of staying in favour with the FCA (or its banking supervisory equivalent) if it was in the habit of losing cheques. But I'd start by taking photos of the cheque, that's for sure. ;)

Recorded delivery ought to make sure that it doesn't go missing in the post. But as above, worst case scenario must surely be that your son has to go back to the insurer? Which is where the photos would be useful.

BJ

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 17th, 2020, 9:55 am

Just seen at https://www.comparebanks.co.uk/bank/sta ... mment-1352: (8th November):
The review is now well out of date. You can pay in a cheque using the app using a photo which takes a couple of days to clear and they now have website based access.

That's either true, or it isn't? ;)

BJ

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 17th, 2020, 9:56 am

bungeejumper wrote:Maybe I'm just a bright-eyed optimist, but I wouldn't reckon a bank's chances of staying in favour with the FCA (or its banking supervisory equivalent) if it was in the habit of losing cheques. But I'd start by taking photos of the cheque, that's for sure. ;)

Recorded delivery ought to make sure that it doesn't go missing in the post. But as above, worst case scenario must surely be that your son has to go back to the insurer? Which is where the photos would be useful.

BJ

yes obviously.

But as its taken them two years to get to a position of NOT following his instructions to BACS it but instead send a cheque I'd hope its obvious why he'd rather not enter that scenario of "talking" to them again. Otherwise he'd have already requested AGAIN a BACS payment.

didds

PS this is moving away from DAK territory but i would say that with high street banks increasingly closing branches, and with no post office in a meaningful/realistic place (check out Wells at the moment..) there are some towns that already have no banking infratsructure to pay a cheque in anyway.
Last edited by didds on November 17th, 2020, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 17th, 2020, 9:58 am

bungeejumper wrote:Just seen at https://www.comparebanks.co.uk/bank/sta ... mment-1352: (8th November):
The review is now well out of date. You can pay in a cheque using the app using a photo which takes a couple of days to clear and they now have website based access.

That's either true, or it isn't? ;)

BJ

It is true. At least for Starling.

But not for a cheque for £1900.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 17th, 2020, 10:03 am

bungeejumper wrote:Maybe I'm just a bright-eyed optimist, but I wouldn't reckon a bank's chances of staying in favour with the FCA (or its banking supervisory equivalent) if it was in the habit of losing cheques. But I'd start by taking photos of the cheque, that's for sure. ;)

BJ

Point of Order...

There is no such thing as "Recorded Delivery", the post office clerk will delight in telling you. There is "Signed For" and a few other similar options, none of which do what you really want, which is to get back the package if they can't get a signature for it. Most revolve around insuring the contents of the package if of high monetary value. No help at all for something rare or important not to be lost.

I've tried using "Signed For" to large organisations in the past and one might as well throw the letter in the bin. A "proof of delivery" notification never materialises on the Royal Mail website when you put the reference number in. I think they just deliver Signed For stuff in the big sack of ordinary letters to big institutions like DVLA, banks etc.

I know with my own Starling account I can pay in cash at a Post Office. Maybe a cheque can be too.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 17th, 2020, 10:07 am

Mike4 wrote:I know with my own Starling account I can pay in cash at a Post Office. Maybe a cheque can be too.

Nope.

Cheque - https://help.starlingbank.com/hc/en-us/ ... -a-cheque-

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 17th, 2020, 10:11 am

Mike4 wrote:[I know with my own Starling account I can pay in cash at a Post Office. Maybe a cheque can be too.

Cash only:

https://help.starlingbank.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007302959-Can-I-deposit-cash-into-my-account-

Can I deposit cash into my account?

You can deposit cash into your Starling account at any Post Office branch. ...

I'd post the cheque as suggested https://help.starlingbank.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017489740-How-do-I-deposit-a-cheque-

Cheques over £500 - Must be sent via post only

To post your cheque just pop it in an envelope addressed to 'Freepost STARLING' (no stamp required). Make sure to put your surname and eight digit Starling account number on the back of each cheque. Please allow a few days for us to receive the cheque via post. Time frames may vary depending on how it's sent and where it's being sent from.
Last edited by PinkDalek on November 17th, 2020, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 17th, 2020, 10:14 am

didds wrote:It is true. At least for Starling.

But not for a cheque for £1900.

Oh dear, point taken. I guess that's a problem that a smartphone-based bank is likely to have? Dinosaur-era cheques printed on dead trees don't really fit their business models. Whereas I can pay in a cheque to my Lloyds account at the post office counter at my local garage. ;)

Diverging sideways, I know, but a couple of years ago, I signed up to a new energy provider which offered smartphone access without explaining that that was its entire customer inferface. :| It took them a while to understand that I don't have a 3G connection at home, so it couldn't ever be made to work. But yikes, I was firmly tied into a 12 month contract! They agreed to end the contract eventually, but it was a valuable lesson in the perils of going all 21st-century.

Best of luck with it, anyway

BJ

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 17th, 2020, 10:55 am

I agree about the problems with PO Recorded delivery. I used to complain about many things in France, but at least their Recorded delivery service worked correctly, with a thin slip of paper sent back to me with a signature on.

Perhaps consider DHL? About 7 quid if you drop it off yourself, or 15 quid if they come round to pick it up. They will ask for a signature and you can follow the progress online. Maybe address it directly to Anne Boden?

Oh yes, and plenty of copies and photos! You holding the cheque, handing it to the smiling DHL guy, him driving off, waving etc. ;)

Steve

PS Only half joking. With the general increase in both bureaucracy and incompetence over the years, I tend to overthink these sorts of things.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 17th, 2020, 11:24 am

bungeejumper wrote: Whereas I can pay in a cheque to my Lloyds account at the post office counter at my local garage. ;)

Yes,

As long as you have a local Post Office. Not a million miles from you, Wells has its main PO closed for some while and the nearest is some tiny sub PO way out of town for most people (going by the Wells FB group)

Meanwhile other towns (again one not far from you) either have no high street banks left, or are down to one that is scheduled to close in the short to medium term.

Yes he can use a FREEPOST address. See his concerns in the OP which appear to have been glossed over ... (not neccessarily by you BJ :-) )

didds

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 17th, 2020, 11:26 am

stevensfo wrote:Perhaps consider DHL? About 7 quid if you drop it off yourself, or 15 quid if they come round to pick it up. They will ask for a signature and you can follow the progress online.

That's not such a bad idea. Problem being ... do they deliver to "Freepost STARLING" as an address? (ignoring the free bit obviously - literally as an address). {That's a rhetorical question]

didds

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 17th, 2020, 11:48 am

To me, trying to find a more "secure" way of sending the cheque is more likely to find it going missing than simply using the prescribed method.

Chances are it'll get to the right place, but to the wrong person or department, and sit on a desk or in an in-tray until someone is motivated to do something about it.

The chances of it going astray if the instructions are followed are infinitesimally small.

Scott.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 17th, 2020, 12:11 pm

didds wrote:
stevensfo wrote:Perhaps consider DHL? About 7 quid if you drop it off yourself, or 15 quid if they come round to pick it up. They will ask for a signature and you can follow the progress online.

That's not such a bad idea. Problem being ... do they deliver to "Freepost STARLING" as an address? (ignoring the free bit obviously - literally as an address). {That's a rhetorical question]

didds

Well, unless things have changed for the worse, there should be a proper address written, not just "Freepost STARLING", so shouldn't be a problem. Or if Admin has really gone to such great lengths to stop people knowing where they live, then the main Starling address from an internet search? e.g.
Starling Bank Operations Team, PO Box 74352, London, EC2P 2QU (for direct debits, so I assume cheques as well)
Starling Bank Ltd, 3rd floor, 2 Finsbury Avenue, London EC2M 2PP (main address)
https://www.starlingbank.com/blog/categ ... -starling/

I remember in the 'Good old days' when I used to hang to any 'special offer' Freepost envelopes from various companies, then use them to send any letters or cheques to them. It wasn't what the envelopes were designed for, but I never had a problem. Also to send junk mail straight back without cluttering up my bin. Dontcha love progress? :?

Steve

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » November 17th, 2020, 1:22 pm

didds wrote:* any other suggestions about paying in this cheque to any account - including possibly opening a new account that doesn't require your great-grandmother's inside leg measurement and midwife at birth's signature in triplicate ?

Now I shouldn't really say this, but take it to your bank and try and pay it in to your account. The cheque is low in denomination so will only be "eyeball" checked by the single cashier, and won't be scrutinised at any other point in the clearing process. Particularly if your account name is say X Didds, and his account is Y Didds, and like most cashiers is bored, it won't get noticed. If he/she does you just say, "sorry I thought it was made out to me, I didn't realise, how silly that's my son's ..." etc.

Then transfer the money to your son by whatever means you want, including a BACS payment which appears to be his preference.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 17th, 2020, 1:31 pm

stevensfo wrote:Well, unless things have changed for the worse, there should be a proper address written, not just "Freepost STARLING", so shouldn't be a problem.
[ /quote]

there isn't...
... but ...

Or if Admin has really gone to such great lengths to stop people knowing where they live, then the main Starling address from an internet search? e.g.
Starling Bank Operations Team, PO Box 74352, London, EC2P 2QU (for direct debits, so I assume cheques as well)
Starling Bank Ltd, 3rd floor, 2 Finsbury Avenue, London EC2M 2PP (main address)
https://www.starlingbank.com/blog/categ ... -starling/

Your googling skills are far better than mine obviously Steve :-) many thanks. I'll pass that on.

didds

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 17th, 2020, 1:42 pm

didds wrote:Your googling skills are far better than mine obviously Steve :-) many thanks. I'll pass that on.

The fact that there are 2 addresses would ring even more alarm bells with me, that if you try to subvert the system and do things "different" to what's recommended, you're setting yourself up for a fall. Or rather that the cheque will be received by someone who doesn't know what to do with it.

Again, I'd follow the prescribed instructions and be confident everything has a better chance of being fine.

Scott.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 17th, 2020, 1:53 pm

swill453 wrote:[Again, I'd follow the prescribed instructions and be confident everything has a better chance of being fine.

Totally agree, as I tried to suggest earlier.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 17th, 2020, 2:25 pm

swill453 wrote:
didds wrote:Your googling skills are far better than mine obviously Steve :-) many thanks. I'll pass that on.

The fact that there are 2 addresses would ring even more alarm bells with me, that if you try to subvert the system and do things "different" to what's recommended, you're setting yourself up for a fall. Or rather that the cheque will be received by someone who doesn't know what to do with it.

Again, I'd follow the prescribed instructions and be confident everything has a better chance of being fine.
Scott.

If the world has come to this, then I want to get off!

A bank will have staff who know (or should know) exactly what to do with a cheque. Unless I'm mistaken, a cheque usually has strong links with a bank.

Banks have many addresses. The first one looks the correct address. I was not joking when I suggested when I said to send it to the CEO Anne Boden. This course of action has been recommended for as long as I remember in TMF and TLF. She will have secretaries who will forward the letter to the appropriate person. If someone in her office has signed for it, I'm sure they will act in a professional way. (Okay, so after 2007-2009, a bit of irony.) ;)

Personally, I would not like the idea of sending a cheque to 'Freepost XXXX'. I want a specific address to which I know my cheque has been sent. That is pretty basic information and is certainly my policy. If the address truly is 'Freepost Starling' than I do not consider that acceptable business behaviour.

Steve
Freepost, Next to the Lake, can't miss it.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”