Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

BACS transfers to building societies

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

BACS transfers to building societies

Postby mutantpoodle » January 15th, 2021, 8:19 am

has anyone found a solution to the problem of sending (TRYING TO SEND) a BACS transfer to an account held at a building society?

Some...(not all) building societies use their own bank account/sort code with 'your' account having a reference
many places allow for this when sending funds
BUT
some do not
Skipton are hopeless and just do not 'recognise' the account as 'yours' when trying to add to a nominated account
they require documentary proof, books/statements etc etc

now I am having same problem with FIRST DIRECT........''account not recognised'' not with MY name in account...and not with building society name

on telephone I received advice ''should be ok I think'' well thats no use when sending my money
2nd phone call sauggested 'try it with small amount'

again quite useless

has anyone found a solution top these latest 'security for our benefit' procedures??

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: BACS transfers to building societies

Postby swill453 » January 15th, 2021, 8:39 am

I guess it's not really First Direct's fault, if the Building Society haven't told you the account name. They (the Building Society) should be aware of the account verification procedures, have you tried asking them for the account name?

Or looking at it another way, if you choose to proceed anyway, overriding the account name check, you're no worse off than you were before the new checks came in i.e. the onus was/is on you to check you have the correct account number and sort code.

Scott.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » January 15th, 2021, 10:15 am

I may have not quite followed correctly so apologies if so...

It seems these days no doubt to prevent some columbian drug lord from moving a few dozen quid atound various accounts, but you may need to specify whether the destination accopunt is a personal or business one, which can not always be obvious.

Im probably way off the mark?

didds

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » January 15th, 2021, 10:24 am

mutantpoodle wrote:
Some...(not all) building societies use their own bank account/sort code with 'your' account having a reference
many places allow for this when sending funds
BUT
some do not
Skipton are hopeless and just do not 'recognise' the account as 'yours' when trying to add to a nominated account
they require documentary proof, books/statements etc etc

now I am having same problem with FIRST DIRECT........''account not recognised'' not with MY name in account...and not with building society name

Skipton Building Society isn't a clearer, so they have to use another Bank. In their case Barclays. First Direct similarly, using HSBC. None of which should be a problem, although I have no experience with any of the 4 institutions.

Looking at https://www.skipton.co.uk/faqs suggests all you need as "Account Name" is Skipton Building Society, assuming that is the other information you are imputing is Barclays Bank, 20-78-91 and 70798924

Hard to know from the above whose fault it is.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » January 15th, 2021, 10:57 am

in each case the account name is the name of the building society
then 'my' account has a reference which enables the building society to allocate received money to me

Skipton use this system as you say because they are not a clearer
for money going TO Skipton...its their account number followed by my account/reference no.
but they dont recognise that other building societies do the same ....they require books/statements etc to prove I am not a south american bandit
(who obviously would have no trouble getting around these silly rules)

I tried saying 'personal' account....didnt work
I tried 'business'....didnt work

re First Direct advice....I tried the 'should be OK I think' with a £1 transfer....it worked

but I expect better than ''it should be OK I think' when asking a bank how to transfer money

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » January 15th, 2021, 11:38 am

Never mind transfers to Building Societies. I use Barclays for the account of a local society. For at least a year it has been impossible to set up a new payee for bank transfers. It all goes well until the very last stage, when you are instructed to use PinSentry on "Respond" and enter an 8 figure number which they provide. You then enter the number displayed by PinSentry and the result is invariably an error message. They have replaced my card and the PinSentry but the result is exactly the same. I had a spat with them about a year ago when I last tried to set up a new payee. I am waiting for their comments on a fresh complaint. I cannot be the only person to be affected.

As far as I can see they are using a different algorithm from that in the PinSentry, and cannot resolve it.

TJH

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”