Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Contributing to Wife's ISA

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
doug2500
Lemon Slice

Contributing to Wife's ISA

Postby doug2500 » January 28th, 2021, 7:17 pm

Evening All,

Does anyone know if I could pay funds directly into my wife's S + S ISA from my bank account online, or do I have to send a cheque and a letter or even gift her the funds first into her bank account then she pays it in? I'm aware this would be classed as a gift to her either way.

Or maybe it even differs from broker to broker?

Thanks.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Re: Contributing to Wife's ISA

Postby johnhemming » January 28th, 2021, 7:45 pm

If you are actually married in a formal sense there can be no issue. If you are not formally married (ie "common law wife") then best not to die for a few years.

fisher
Lemon Slice

Postby fisher » January 28th, 2021, 7:47 pm

I use AJ Bell, iWeb and X-O. My wife has s&s ISAs with all 3. She lends me her debit card which operates on our Joint Account when we wish to deposit money in her accounts. I deposit the money and return the card to her. I use my own debit card on the same account to fund my ISAs.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 28th, 2021, 8:00 pm

There can't really be a problem whatever you do. Many cash ISAs can be funded via a sort code and account number, therefore the source of the money is effectively anonymous. Shares ISAs won't have different rules in that respect.

Scott.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » January 28th, 2021, 8:06 pm

doug2500 wrote:Evening All,

Does anyone know if I could pay funds directly into my wife's S + S ISA from my bank account online, or do I have to send a cheque and a letter or even gift her the funds first into her bank account then she pays it in? I'm aware this would be classed as a gift to her either way.

Thanks.

This question is very unclear. What exactly is your worry? You talk about "being classed as a gift" which sounds like your concern is inheritance tax, but then you seem to be talking about brokers making the rules.

Could you clarify what your concern is please. Is it tax? Is it ISA rules? Is it broker procedures? Is it money laundering regulations?

GS

doug2500
Lemon Slice

Postby doug2500 » January 28th, 2021, 8:32 pm

Thanks all.

No worries at all, just a procedural thing. To be clearer, if we open an isa in her name can I fund it with my debit card, or do I have to gift her the money so it is funded from her own account?

Doug

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » January 28th, 2021, 9:50 pm

doug2500 wrote:To be clearer, if we open an isa in her name can I fund it with my debit card, or do I have to gift her the money so it is funded from her own account?

That's going to depend entirely on the broker's system. Some operate a "linked account" system, where the opener has to link a bank account in their name with the ISA for withdrawals and also link the debit card for that account with it for deposits. Others may allow more flexibility. Best you name the brokers you are considering and ask folks here what they do.

IWeb (and I assume also Halifax and Lloyds) operate the "linked account" (and card) system described above. Interactive Investor let you enter any debit card but it has to be in the account holders name and registered to the same address.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » January 28th, 2021, 9:59 pm

P.S. IWeb will also (or, at least, have in the past) allow transfers in by BACS/faster payments, but you have to ask them for the account details and reference to use, and I don't know what checks they may do on the source, like possibly wanting to match the name of the account holder.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » January 29th, 2021, 9:17 am

doug2500 wrote:Thanks all.

No worries at all, just a procedural thing. To be clearer, if we open an isa in her name can I fund it with my debit card, or do I have to gift her the money so it is funded from her own account?

Doug

As said it depends upon the broker. In my experience with A J Bell, it's easy using a debit card. My childrens JISA's have been funded from both my debit card and the wifes, though we have seperate accounts. By using your debit card to fund her ISA you are gifting the money, though that's not relivent if you are legaly married or civil partners.

I recommend avoiding bank transfers. Not because there is anything wrong with funding the account that way, but because brokers normally link their accounts to "your" or in this case your wifes bank account. If money is taken from the ISA, that's the account it arrives in. You really want to avoid any confusion of that process.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » January 29th, 2021, 10:17 am

A join account is generally the easiest way. The funds are supposed to be hers! This solves that problem

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » January 29th, 2021, 10:32 am

In answer to the OP. Yes, you need to give the money to your wife and she then needs to fund her ISA with money from her account.

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » January 29th, 2021, 10:33 am

doug2500 wrote:Evening All,

Thanks.

I look after HL S&S ISA for myself and my sister. Main method to add funds is via debit card, and they seem to address check i.e. the address associated with the debit card has to match the address on the HL account (I know this cos there was a period where the address on her ISA was different from the address on her debit card/current account and the annual ISA subscription wouldn't go through).

doug2500
Lemon Slice

Postby doug2500 » January 29th, 2021, 7:51 pm

Thank you all very much.

The broker in question is X O. If they would accept payment from a joint debit that would work well because it's linked to my account and it would be an easy online transfer.

It's not a frequently discussed broker but I like to have assets spread and already use the main brokers for SIPP's and ISA's, joint and own trading accounts. I'm also a jarvis shareholder and interested in the user experience.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”