Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

ecology Building society

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
steelman99
Lemon Pip

ecology Building society

Postby steelman99 » February 5th, 2021, 10:22 pm

Recived an e-mail from Ecology building society changing their T&C from 6th April , whilst most of them are the usual changes of words ect , one that I noticed was that they could restrict or stop the paying in of funds to existing accounts if it was in the interest of the society.

As a lot of their older accounts have a minimum gaurenteed interest rate of 1% - with the present interest rate situation this is better than most for instant access. If you have one of these accounts and intend to take advantage of the 1% interest , might be worth making sure the funds are in before 6th April.

DrBunsenHoneydew
Lemon Slice

Re: ecology Building society

Postby DrBunsenHoneydew » February 7th, 2021, 9:38 am

steelman99 wrote:Received an e-mail from Ecology building society changing their T&C from 6th April , whilst most of them are the usual changes of words ect , one that I noticed was that they could restrict or stop the paying in of funds to existing accounts if it was in the interest of the society.

As a lot of their older accounts have a minimum guarenteed interest rate of 1% - with the present interest rate situation this is better than most for instant access. If you have one of these accounts and intend to take advantage of the 1% interest , might be worth making sure the funds are in before 6th April.

Thanks for explaining that - it rationalises two things for me:
1.) I wondered what it might have been about when I read that (as a relatively new member I wasn't aware of that guarantee - it doesn't seem to apply to my Regular Saver as far as I can tell)
2.) I'd noticed that they were still bizarrely offering 1% on virtually all their 'accounts no longer available to new applicants', when it seems that every other institution has slashed their equivalent accounts.

DrBunsenHoneydew
Lemon Slice

Postby DrBunsenHoneydew » February 7th, 2021, 10:13 am

The accounts which have the 1.00% guarantee are: Charity Deposit Trust; Corporate Deposit; Earthwise Cash ISA; Earthwise Cash ISA (ex-TESSA); Eco-Instant; Eco-60; Foundations Cash ISA; Foundations Deposit; Foundations Share; Foundations Supporters; Ordinary Deposit; Ordinary Share; SIPP.

steelman99
Lemon Pip

Postby steelman99 » June 26th, 2021, 10:01 pm

Just recived a letter from Ecology and it looks like the cut off date for deposits into the accounts with a minimum 1% interest rate is 8th July , after that you cant make any more deposits , if you wnt to put money with ecollogy you have to opn a new acount at 0.10 %
least they arnt closing them down

Gan020
Lemon Slice

Postby Gan020 » June 28th, 2021, 10:36 am

Commercially, they haven't much choice here. The 1% rate is out of alignment with the rest of the market and with an extended period of time for low interest rates they couldn't hold this forever.

I am surprised they haven't moved on this before. They've clearly been trying to do the best they can by their long term savers but it wasn't sustainable.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”