Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Santander login fail

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Santander login fail

Postby gnawsome » March 5th, 2021, 4:00 pm

I've been persuaded to update to Win 10 with a solid state drive.
Now Santander will not allow me to login as 'details are not recognised'
I can still login on a WIN 7 PC with hard drive with the SAME DETAILS
Is that coincidence.
I tried to telephone but the line was useless and when I pointed that out... I was disconnected. (no aggressive language)
Is this all just a continuance of the bullying to give them a mobile phone number.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Re: Santander login fail

Postby Gersemi » March 5th, 2021, 4:27 pm

gnawsome wrote:I've been persuaded to update to Win 10 with a solid state drive.
Now Santander will not allow me to login as 'details are not recognised'
I can still login on a WIN 7 PC with hard drive with the SAME DETAILS
Is that coincidence.
I tried to telephone but the line was useless and when I pointed that out... I was disconnected. (no aggressive language)
Is this all just a continuance of the bullying to give them a mobile phone number.

Is it because you are trying to log in with a different device? Some sites seem to monitor that. Usually I find I get an email telling me that a new device has logged in, but I'm still allowed to do so, but perhaps they are being very cautious. I'm surprised that you haven't received any notification though.

digitaria
Lemon Pip

Postby digitaria » March 5th, 2021, 5:01 pm

I wonder if you are victim of Santander's recommended security software "Trusteer Rapport", which you are offered on every login and which - if you accede - does something to your local storage - something which would be upset, were you to upgrade OS and disk as you seem to have done.

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » March 5th, 2021, 10:49 pm

Gersemi wrote:
Is it because you are trying to log in with a different device? Some sites seem to monitor that. Usually I find I get an email telling me that a new device has logged in, but I'm still allowed to do so, but perhaps they are being very cautious. I'm surprised that you haven't received any notification though.

I think that may be the root cause so I tried the 'chat' facility but it was entirely disabled in that it would not allow any entry by me.
Then tried the phone and that was incoherent and was cut off.
Thanks for your help

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » March 5th, 2021, 10:57 pm

digitaria wrote:I wonder if you are victim of Santander's recommended security software "Trusteer Rapport", which you are offered on every login and which - if you accede - does something to your local storage - something which would be upset, were you to upgrade OS and disk as you seem to have done.

I have always declined that offer - as well as giving a mobile number.
I think it might be that they are trying to persude me to conform to conform to those requirements
Many thanks for your help

Hypster
Lemon Slice

Postby Hypster » March 6th, 2021, 9:45 am

Are you getting to the login page via a bookmark or shortcut by any chance?

If so, try going to the Santander website manually instead, then going through the full login process on the new machine. This will involve your personal ID, your password (or characters from it), plus your 5 digit code, (with perhaps a screen showing your chosen picture and phrase you set up when you activated the online access).

I've a vague memory that I once clicked something along the lines of "this is a trusted device" and ever since then they log me in via an abbreviated form of the above with just my personal ID and 5 digit code.

It's just a guess of course but my assumption is that the trusted device (your old machine) contains some kind of unique device ID/signature, which the abbreviated login process pulls in to the mix alongside your login credentials. Now that you are using a different machine your ID+CODE+DEVICEID is incorrect.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 21st, 2021, 9:22 am

digitaria wrote:I wonder if you are victim of Santander's recommended security software "Trusteer Rapport", which you are offered on every login and which - if you accede - does something to your local storage - something which would be upset, were you to upgrade OS and disk as you seem to have done.

WHY OH WHY does Santander keep nagging EVERY time you login about this
I have several bank accounts that I login to and None of them use it
why would you want to use it when you read reports like this
https://computing.which.co.uk/hc/en-gb/ ... r-Rapport-

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”