Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Scam attempt re my Bank Account

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Scam attempt re my Bank Account

Postby Bouleversee » August 26th, 2021, 3:34 pm

I had a call yesterday from a well-spoken, articulate, English-sounding woman claiming to be calling from my bank to ask for confirmation that I had requested a transfer of £867 from my account (she didn't say which one; I have more than one) to PayPal. I said I hadn't but I didn't think my bank would ring about such a thing and I would ring them myself to check it all out. I immediately dialled 1471 to get the number ostensibly called from and dialled it and found that it was not recognised; no surprise there! I phoned my bank and was told that no attempt had been made to make such a transaction and, as I had assumed, it was probably a fishing expeditio n to get my bank details. Even if the phone no. had been genuine, they would not have taken any action if no fraud had been accomplished.

Fortunately, I still have a few of my marbles left, but for how much longer, I wonder? I do wish the govt. would do something to stop people introducing fake telephone numbers and make it impossible to hide the real number from which a call is made. So far as I am aware, no efforts are made to prevent fraud happening and there is little, if any, success in recovering sums fraudulently taken from bank accounts.

What I'd like to know is how this woman knew my name, phone no. and that I had a xxxxxxx account. It can't have been an entirely random call. It has left me feeling a little nervous. I wish now I had led her on a bit to see whether she suggested transferring my money to a different account for safety.

If there is a more appropriate board for this post, perhaps a Mod, could kindly redirect it.

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Scam attempt re my Bank Account

Postby pje16 » August 26th, 2021, 3:47 pm

Try not too worry too much
my brother got a scam call a few years ago Talk Talk
they knew his dob, mother's maiden name etc
He said it sounded so much like them
They have 3 TT accounts, but all in his wife's name, that's how he know it was scam
Nothing ever came of it from his point of view

He did call Talk Talk to tell them, they weren't interested
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37990246
serves them right, they wouldn't listen

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 26th, 2021, 4:06 pm

monabri wrote:It would be logical to assume someone who posts on TLF has some funds so why not go looking for clues there?

Only a clown would post any personal info on this or any other forum (or social media account)

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 26th, 2021, 4:07 pm

PLEASE MAY I REQUEST NO FURTHER POSTINGS ON THIS SUBJECT (I HAVE REASON).

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”