Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Contactless card limit to rise to £100 in October

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Re: Contactless card limit to rise to £100 in October

Postby scrumpyjack » August 27th, 2021, 5:21 pm

pje16 wrote:I'll raise that
No charges ever on any credit card or bank since 1986 and 1981 respectively, when I first had them
I was being a bit flippant as is my won't
Banks won't lose out in the end, they'll put better checks in place, but they do make money by charging their customers

and I'll raise that: for years the bank has paid me to use their current account and credit card. Cashbacks and NatWest Rewards.

For merchants the alternative to paying card fees is to pay for handling cash, which I gather is more expensive still.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » August 27th, 2021, 5:34 pm

Lootman wrote:
simoan wrote:Am I alone in using my phone to pay for everything? I can't remember the last time I went out to buy anything with a credit card!

Credit cards come with rewards such as points and miles. Over the years I have had numerous free flights in first or business class to various destinations. So not only do the cards not cost me anything (although one does have an annual fee I am happy to pay) but they actually pay me back.

I do not do any financial activity on a phone. I am sure you are not alone here in using only a phone, but I'd be willing to bet that more Lemons use cards, if only because of the older demographic here. My kids have never written a cheque either, although they seem happy to receive them. :D

Certainly on Google Pay, the phone is just a front end - the payments come from the underlying cards and attract the same airmiles/ cashback as if you'd flashed the actual plastic. But the phone is more secure.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 27th, 2021, 5:53 pm

simoan wrote:
For me, the security benefits of going card-less and not having to take a card with me when I go out far outweigh any minor benefits of gaining reward points every time I buy a couple of beers, lunch etc.

It's funny how people can see things from a completely different perspective sometimes.

If I had my debit card in my pocket and also had to carry my phone with me at the same time, I'd be much more concerned about losing my phone than my debit card, purely down to the bulk of the phone compared to the card, and how that bulk changes how secure I would be able to carry the phone all the time.

I've never lost a debit card in all my adult life - they go in my front pockets and are as secure as my house keys...

I get the Apple watch aspect, because that's kept on the wrist and offers a relatively secure and accessible carrying position, but for me a phone changes that considerably, and I'd always consider loss or theft of a carried phone much more likely, for me anyway, than a small and thin debit or credit card...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » August 28th, 2021, 9:53 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
simoan wrote:
For me, the security benefits of going card-less and not having to take a card with me when I go out far outweigh any minor benefits of gaining reward points every time I buy a couple of beers, lunch etc.

It's funny how people can see things from a completely different perspective sometimes.

If I had my debit card in my pocket and also had to carry my phone with me at the same time, I'd be much more concerned about losing my phone than my debit card, purely down to the bulk of the phone compared to the card, and how that bulk changes how secure I would be able to carry the phone all the time.

I've never lost a debit card in all my adult life - they go in my front pockets and are as secure as my house keys...

It depends what suits your lifestyle, each to their own. I've never paid for anything using a debit card when out & about; I always use a credit card. Apart from anything my debit card shows details of my main bank account - I've lost cards before but never my phone, no matter how drunk I was :).

I find only going out with a phone much more convenient than a phone + wallet. Depends how big your phone is though! I have an iPhone 12 mini as it easily fits in a jean pocket. I have a mate who pays with his watch. It works well as long as you can contort your arm well enough to come into close enough contact with the payment machine! :)

All the best, Si

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » August 28th, 2021, 10:07 am

I don't do anything financial on my phone, too easy to lose and I'm not convinced in the security, either the unlock mechanisms or the OS and network.

I have lost or had my wallet stolen many times, but I need to carry it for membership cards as well as financial ones, and slimming down the wallet makes the problem worse, as it slips out of a side pocket easier then.

I keep notes separately in my back pocket, as I like cash as a backstop and for its anonymity. I'm noticing now that country churches don't donations any more, as I don't have the change in my pockets any more.

I always ask for receipts, and check them against paper statements.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 28th, 2021, 11:02 am

I always carry a debit card (and a credit card as back up) I have no wallet; just these two cards in my pocket. I ought really to carry a few banknotes because I like them as tips in a restaurant. I always feel faintly embarrassed by not having cash when I pay. Can put it on the card of course.

I cannot see me ever using a phone to pay as it is bulky compared to a little card, and I always think people look a bit awkward presenting it, quite apart from any security aspect.

Dod

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 28th, 2021, 11:16 am

simoan wrote:
I find only going out with a phone much more convenient than a phone + wallet.

Depends how big your phone is though! I have an iPhone 12 mini as it easily fits in a jean pocket.

I think that's a key point for me - just where on your person a phone would have to go when out and about - mine wouldn't comfortably go in my jeans pocket, so it would have to be in an 'off-body' position, either in a jacket pocket or bag, and it's at that point where it would become much more of a security issue than my debit card that's snug in my front jeans pocket...

I don't do wallets either - just a couple of cards wrapped in some notes if required, and I'm at the point now where these types of habits will be very difficult to break!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » August 28th, 2021, 7:20 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
simoan wrote:
I find only going out with a phone much more convenient than a phone + wallet.

Depends how big your phone is though! I have an iPhone 12 mini as it easily fits in a jean pocket.

I think that's a key point for me - just where on your person a phone would have to go when out and about - mine wouldn't comfortably go in my jeans pocket, so it would have to be in an 'off-body' position, either in a jacket pocket or bag, and it's at that point where it would become much more of a security issue than my debit card that's snug in my front jeans pocket...

Itsallaguess

Which is where an Apple watch comes in again - it is on your wrist, and for security knows if it is not on your wrist when it will lock itself.

And as mine is the cellular version it doesn't need a phone nearby to use as the connection for messages, etc. and you can use it 'standalone' to make phone calls - although the downside is the people staring at you whilst you do so!

As for the security of phones for banking - well for centuries people relied on passing between each other bits of paper with their signature and full bank details, a practice that would horrify the young today.

And as for consumer financial fraud these days, I have yet to read of a single case involving a 'hacked' mobile phone, and instead every single case I read about involves someone being phoned on a landline and being persuaded to transfer all their money to the fraudster. So perhaps if people want to be safe then they should get the landline ripped out of their house.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » August 29th, 2021, 2:31 pm

Although I use cash for most small purchases, whenever I do use a contactless debit or credit card, I receive a notification on my phone within a few minutes. This is really the minimum of security. If you don't have a card that let's you know when it's being used, opt for sliding it in the slot and typing the PIN.

The banks seem to be very hot on the 2FA stuff, so you should have your cards under the same sort of control.

Steve

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”